New Scoring Format for Doubles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kamen, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I am sorry guys but would someone be able to tell me how to go about serving in doubles on the new 21 points? I know there are a few threads about this topic but maybe i missed them cos there are all long with many pages...

I want to try it out tonight...

I watched the world cup using pplive but it was lagging to the extent that i could not follow the service after "trying" to watching a few games...

#1 Kamen, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  2. ToddieO

ToddieO Regular Member

Lighting, grip work, stagehand, bartender, student
    new scoring

Ok toss bird for serve. Even court serves first, if a point is made then its 1-0, if missed serve or point won by opposite team the score is 0-1. The other team made a point from your missed serve or by winning the point. Now their first serve is from the odd court. If they make a point the its 2-0, if miss the serve then you score a point and its 1-1, your serve starts at odd court. ONLY ONE SERVE PER TEAM IN DOUBLES! Ralley scoring, point won on every dead bird! NO SECOND SERVE, NO WAY TO REALLY KEEP TRACK OF SCORE BUT BY CALLING IT OUT EVERY TIME! When one team gets to 11 points there is manditory 1 minute break! ( IBF has sold Badminton to Malasian TV, so need for qucik games and commercial space) First team to 21, but if score is 20-20 then game goes to 29! If 28-28 then first team to 29 wins. I have played 10 games this way and it is fun! You must get serve in #1, make no mistakes by trying to serve tuff. Play to the middle of court, make the other team make mistakes. Old wise players may do well with this game, young overly fit may not be able to out last the vets. Hope this helped!

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For the new 21-point scoring system, deuce is at 20-20, but whichever team wins by 2 consecuitive points thereafter, e.g. 22-20 or 24-22, etc, wins the game. It need not have to go to say 29 points to win, although the score can read 29-27 for the game (ie 2 points difference).

However, if the score stands at 29-29, whichever team then first reaches 30 wins, 30 points being the maximum allowed.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As to who is to serve in doubles, it depends on the score. Even number for the right court partner and Odd number for the left court partner until the serving team loses the point and the service goes to your opponents.

Actually I haven't tried this out but let me try to explain what I know.

Your Team A wins the toss and you, being on the RIGHT court serves first (0-0 is even). You win a point 1-O and will continue to serve on the alternate (Left) court as in singles (left/right/left/right...), until you lose the point and your opponent takes over the service.

Let's assume that your team then wins a point (and service) and the score then reads 7-5. If at that point in time, you're standing on the right court and your partner on the left court, then your partner should serve as the score starts with an ODD (left) number 7. If the score should read 8-5, then you should serve instead (RIGHT is for even number 8) and so on... :D

5. eskey

eskey Regular Member

Thank you Sir for the explanation. The thing is how to tell that at 7-5 I should be standing on the right or left court? I am just trying to find out if there is a way I can tell straight away from the score where should I be standing.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes yours is a tricky question which someone has asked before. And I agree that this is perhaps a weakness in the new doubles scoring system, or they may already have an answer? I need to ask someone more qualified.

But from just looking at how things will work in this new system, I would think that the umpire and players, if possible, should know where they are standing at every changeover of service.

So if your Left court partner serves at 7-5, you need to remember this and that you are standing on the Right court. If your team then loses the point and service, you need to know where you were standing then. Not only must the umpire be more alert, the players themselves will have to as well.

I'm afraid this is not of great help but I guess it makes a lot of sense to know where we were standing before any change of service. Time and more games will help us get used to the new system. ;)

7. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hehe - i have solved this one :)
    if you served last time then it is certain that it is your partners serve. since you know the score that means you know where the server should stand. the box to serve from is as it always was for singles. evens is right to left and odd is left to right.

et voila! :D

Coops

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you've hit the Jackpot. Congrats! :)

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Thanks for the replies. Maybe i am slow, it's so confusing :p :eek: !

Ok, lets say score is at love all. Team A serves from the even court and wins a point. Team A server would switch to the odd court. Meanwhile, Team B would remain at the same position. Right?

Assuming Team A loses and its now Team B turn to serve, who will be the server, score of Team A=1 and Team B=0, the player at the even court or odd court?

What if during the change of serve, Team B score stands at an odd number, say 5?

sorry, i am slow!

10. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    please ignore the above post, i figured them out already, finally!

my last question is regarding the max point. ToddieO said max point is 29 but Loh said 30. Who is correct?

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No problem, it's good that you clarify.

(A) Right (A starts on right court at 0-0, then wins 1 point, score reads 1-0).

(B) A loses rally. Now the score is not 0-1 (B-A) as in the old system. Because B wins point and service it should be 1-1 and B serves from left court (1 is odd) and continues to serve as in singles until B loses point and service, let's say after scoring 5 points, at 5-2 (not 5-1 because A wins the point and that makes it 2).

(C) Basing on my example, service changes hands and the score now reads 2-5 (A-B). A serves from the right (even number first). Now if the score were to read 3-5 instead, then A will serve from the left.

(D) If A wins another 3 points in a row before losing, the score of A is now 5 points (2 scored earlier + 3) and now B wins the rally with a new score 6-5 (B has won 5 points earlier plus this new point becomes 6). B serves from the right court (6 is even).

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Max point is 30.

You can refer to the detailed article on the new scoring system "IBF Council Decision" in the World Badminton website:

http://www.worldbadminton.net/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx

13. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Thanks Loh.....................................

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best way to find out is to try to play at least 10 games of doubles using the new scoring system. If you play singles you will find it much easier to adapt to the new system. The key to identifying where to stand after some confusion is to know the score and who the server is. Knowing the identity of the last server of the opponents is also helpful.
    The confusion comes from the elimination of the mandatory right side serve when a serve is won. When you win the right to serve from your opponents, your score will dictate from which side you will serve-if the score is odd you serve from the left side. If you are correctly standing on the left side, then you serve. If your partner is correctly on the left side then he serves. If your score is even you or your partner will serve from the right side.
    In practice it is much easier to understand.
    If you play table tennis and badminton singles you will take to it immediately, and you would probably give your opponents a hiding, before they get the hang of it.

15. ToddieO

ToddieO Regular Member

Lighting, grip work, stagehand, bartender, student
    Hello, I did not say max point was 29, at 29-29 the first team to 30 wins! Also what a lot of folks are missing is the manditory 1 minute break at player/team to 11 points. Also at end of game 21 points or more you must have 2 minute break! When we played we did not stop for 1 minute or 2 minutes as the rules say to.

To answer the first question in the topic, you can not really look at score and know where you are to serve! Odd side may switch to even and so on during the game. We found it very important to call out the score, and help each other out! The IBF has made the umpire's job very difficult from now on, ps it was always difficult in doubles to keep it straight! The new style of points has made badminton fun, and new! At our club U.S. Olympic team players, Thomas Cup players, World ranked players have tried this scoring system last week. We all joked that we may not be smart enough to keep score! We play train and play tonight!

16. coops241180

Product Owner
    I think you are wrong here..
    odd an even sides of the court are set in stone, serving right to left is for even score and left to right for odd scores.

If your partner served last time your side has the serve then it will be your turn to serve, this is provable simply because if your partner served when you lost the serve then he will be in the wrong box to be the server next time because you score a point by taking the serve back. This means the players on a side do take it in turns to serve each time a side gets the serve.

So long as you can keep count of the number of rally's your side wins then you can figure out who is serving and where to serve from. what appeared complex at first is actually exceedingly simple.

Hope this helps

Coops

17. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I find the point counting is rather straight forward but to keep track of which side to stand is a nightmare. Even with 15 points system I often get confused after a long rally which side I should stand. But with 15 points system, its easy to figure out as long as you remember which side of the court you start with (even or odd). With 21 points system, there is no clue to figure out once you forget, anyone knows what the trick is ?

18. coops241180

Product Owner
    There is no trick. if you are serving then you stand where you would stand for singles on the old 15 point system, regardless of where you stood last time your served. how much simpler can it be?

Coops

19. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I think you misunderstood what I mean. Of course figuring out which side to serve is simple enough following the format for singles (even or even side). If every player on the court tracks the score correctly but forget who was serving last time and where a player stood last time, how do you sort out the answer ? In the old 15 points system, we ran into this confusion on regular basis (almost every game) and we always ask "do you remember who started the first serve?" and you will get a correct answer 10 out of 10 times. To me, remembering who started the "first serve" is easier than remembering who made the last serve. vbmenu_register("postmenu_321673", true);

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Quote:

"First team to 21, but if score is 20-20 then game goes to 29! If 28-28 then first team to 29 wins"

Yes you did not say max point was 29, but in your above example you gave the impression that it was. Your second sentence confirms when you said at "28-28, the first team to 29 wins", which is incorrect. Both your sentences were misleading, I'm afraid! :D