racquet choice...?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ben De La Quew, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Ben De La Quew

Ben De La Quew New Member

Hello Badminton players,
    first of all I have to apologize for my English. I am not a native speaker and and expressing myself is sometimes a bit difficult for me.
    I am playing Badminton for one year and a half, I would estimate my abilities as low to moderate. I am playing some kind of allround style: I like smashing, but I also often use soft control.
    My problem and the reason why I am looking for some experts' opinion is:
    I have three racquets(dunno how to write it correctly - racket or racquet). My first and oldest one: Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 90
    second: Wilson Vision V 14
    third: Yonex Carbonex 15 Long
    At the first glance the V14 seem to be the best one in my eyes because it seems to have the newest technology, but when I read some articels in this forum I saw that there is a lot of stuff about Yonex. I concluded that Yonex must produce fine racquets, but I don't know whether the Carbonex 15 Long is a good one. Consequently I need your help. Perhaps you could give a short statement to these racquets and afterwards recommend one. Thank you very much for paying attention.

Another question: On my Yonex racquet is "2U-G4" and on my Wilson V14 is "4U-3G" written. I speculated whether it describes the characteristic of the string, but I am not sure. Can you tell me what it means?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Welcome to Badminton Central :)

The best racket is the one that you like most. Do not worry about the technology or the name (like "Yonex" and "nanotechnology"). These things are not important. They are used for selling the rackets.

A light racket with an even balance is a good way to start. "Even balance" means that the weight is not too much towards the top, and not too much towards the bottom.

On Yonex rackets, "2U" describes the racket weight. "G4" describes how big the handle.

"2U" weighs more than "3U". But "G4 " is thinner than "G3". It is confusing!

Other brands, like Wilson, use different numbers and letters. "4U" for a Wilson may not be the same as "4U" for a Yonex!

These numbers never mean anything about the strings: because the strings are often replaced later!

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Guten Tag und willkommen

I think your English is better than mine. Anyway, as Gullum said, the racquet you like the best is the one. AlsoI want to add, the one you win the most is the best one for you. You can read and search through equipment forum to get more info. Yonex makes many different racquet model. I will suggest you to borrow or demo some racquets when the time comes for a new racquet. Also, the more expensive racquet might not be a good one for you. I would
    say if you have not broken any of the racquet string yet, it might be a good time to replace all of the strings with better string like Yonex BG-80 or other brand model like it. One more thing, please read this good artical from Kwun.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/91/33/
    Good luck and have fun play badminton.
    Merry Christmas.