Proper training program

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fastattack, Dec 26, 2005.

1. fastattack

fastattack Regular Member

student player
    After reading through threads on running hills, I think I need to put more focus on the hillsprints part of my training first. To give you background on my training, I have done weights, situps, pushups, 200 freesquats intervals, and 24 minute straight of quick jogging. In the near future, I plan on training bench press. What hillsprint program can you recommend? Other than hillsprints, what else can you recommend to add to my training?

My badminton goal is to get involved in elite tournaments and someday play as pro for my home country, the Philippines or here in the states. Fitness wise, I know I need to be very conditioned. After asking my father, he recommends that I gather more experience through different sparring partners at my local club, and I'm planning on getting some training from the head coach there also. I think I have the talent and determination to excel, but I need guidance. ;)

I have been playing badminton for nearly a year, but I have only used nylon shuttles :eek:. I am a 16 year old boy, and my racquet is Qiangli BG605. :)

#1 fastattack, Dec 26, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

get a coach;) he can tell you more, and hsow you....

other then conditioning with running: do shadow-badminton on-court, or in teh sand. that'll put some hair on your ass!

or , on court, get a big piece of rain pipe (1-1,5 m) and put in lots of used shuttles..but that might be a problem playing with plastic..
    and get a partner feed your all those (estimate) 50 shuttles fed to you to all 4 corners. hit them back random, feeder lets em drop...at our place it's called "tubing" or "kokeren(dutch)"

3. fastattack

student player
    Since my father is the only partner I have to play with, I play lots of shadow badminton for my training. Do you think doing drives on a wall is good training? I understand I should try to get the shuttle going as fast as possible while keeping the shuttlecock at waist to chest height. I have done the drop-clear drill, smashing drills, etc., but I don't think I did 4 corners drill much. I will give it a try, thanks jerby. :)

#3 fastattack, Dec 26, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

5. fastattack

student player
    What exactly are dips? I would like to add them to my training. How much should I begin with? With benchpress, how much weight should I start with? What is a good hillsprint routine to follow?

My goal is to do high level training on a consistent basis.

6. alansd

alansd Regular Member

Fast attack,
    If you have only been playing for a year then you really have to find other people to play against than your Dad. Even if you a much better player his strength and experiance will mean that you will never beat him and probably not improve much in the short term because you get into the habit of knowing what is coming. Find a club or people at school and play some fun matches. That combined with the fitness training and working with a coach should sort you out.
    A

7. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Like Jerby said, get a coach. Without coach you'll never become a pro. Only a coach that knows you well can answer questions like, what weight you should start with, how many repetitions you have to do...

8. bluefeather

bluefeather Regular Member

US NAVY
    play with us

hey, it's me again... i sent you a private message... i'm pinoy too... in jacksonville florida...

find a club and join a club... there will be better players there that can help you and if you get lucky a coach!

i've trained for badminton varsity in PI and it involved a lot of running both in and off court... we were suppose to run the entire length of an oval track in a minute or less... do 6 to start with then build up... Ofcourse before you do any rigorous exercise CONSULT A DOCTOR...

After that we did sit ups, push ups, dorsals, lunges, steps you name it... that's just off court... on court days are way different... off court training conditions your body to last on court drills... it doesn't matter if you have the best coach in the world to teach you in court drills but if you're not fit you won't get much out of it...