User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    1. - plastic last longer. One plastic can last as long as ~6 feathers.
    - plastic can be made recyclable.
    If it can be made recyclable, then it is not a bad thing, but I doubt it will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong
    What is wrong with plastic shuttlecocks?
    Either you've never played with plastic shuttles or you've never played with feathers, then, or you'd know what the problem is.

If you ask me, if (and only if) they can come out with a plastic shuttlecock that feels like the feather kind, then this is a very positive development indeed.
    Hmm. If. Surely the time to promulgate a rule such as this would be after such a shuttlecock has been developed? As we all know, it hasn't.

I expect Taneepak will be along soon to support the IBF's decision.

If the good Lord had meant us to user plastic shuttlecocks he wouldn't have given us geese.

Actually, this is probably just a bad report. I've not seen it elsewhere. Decent juniors would be ruined by playing with plastics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm.

This could save the game. It helps cut the cost of the game.. but if the shuttles are of respectable quality... then... should we be angry at this change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Either you've never played with plastic shuttles or you've never played with feathers, then, or you'd know what the problem is.

Actually, this is probably just a bad report. I've not seen it elsewhere. Decent juniors would be ruined by playing with plastics.

Agree on both accounts. Plastic for Juniors is just not right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. If. Surely the time to promulgate a rule such as this would be after such a shuttlecock has been developed? As we all know, it hasn't.

I expect Taneepak will be along soon to support the IBF's decision.

If the good Lord had meant us to user plastic shuttlecocks he wouldn't have given us geese.

I believe some European countries are using plastic shuttles for the lower grade tournaments. The higher grades use feathers. Why? It is supply/demand.
    Let me put you through a thought process. If feathers cost as much as 3 times plastics in low humidity and cold countries, the lower grade tournaments who insist on feathers will only have wealthy players instead of many players. If badminton is confined to weathy players in the west it will go nowhere.
    The good Lord is neutral, I think. Who do you think we are to be the chosen ones for the good Lord to give us geese so we can use their feathers?
    I use feathers almost exclusively for the past 50 years although I have played maybe less than two games with plastics about a year ago. Sure, there is no comparison. Feathers are still king and plastics have a long way to go. However, if demand for plastics can exceed that of feathers then there will be an incentive to make better high grade plastics.
    There is some sense in pushing for the more economic plastics at the bottom or lower levels just as a cheap and economic way to get new blood into the badminton system. As the players get better they can switch to feathers. If feathers become unavailable-don't laugh, this is possible-they can fall back on plastics. Also the supply of goose feathers is lop-sided, concentrated in China. If badminton becomes a world-wide sport there will not be enough goose feathers to go around, unless every European, American, African, Indian, etc switch to eating goose.
    Try to imagine this scenario: IBF pushing for badminton to be No. 1 sport and specifying only feathers, then finding out that almost all tournaments do not have enough feather shuttles. Punch is smarter than that. At least he is not helping IBF to dick its own grave. Pls look at the big picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    At least he is not helping IBF to dick its own grave.
    I think you meant "dig" right? ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IBF pushing for badminton to be No. 1 sport
    Is it? That is not very realistic, is it? Worldwide, I mean. If it is true it calls into question the common sense of the IBF members.

Badminton could well be the number 1 sport in Indonesia or China, but the USA, Europe, South America, Africa - not in a month of Sundays! It will NEVER challenge football or the major US sports in those places.

Anybody who thinks this can change in their lifetime is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Badminton will not even overtake the worldwide poularity of tennis in my lifetime.

Sad, but true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't know I could be so........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe some European countries are using plastic shuttles for the lower grade tournaments. The higher grades use feathers. Why? It is supply/demand.
    I have never come across a tournament at any level in the UK that uses plastic shuttles. Only "backyard" players use plastics, even for practice. Only a tiny, tiny minority of competitive players would even think about using them. The only exception is in schools. But schools don't really act as any kind of training ground in the UK - the clubs do. The standard of school badminton is very low indeed.

In my area all the adult clubs and all the junior clubs use feathers except for one that is run on a shoestring budget - and hated by all the others.

That club's players never make county squads. I suspect that is partly because they learn a game strategy to cope with the problems of plastics that means inevitable defeat against the better players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Maybe he knows something about Punch that you don't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would assume that the quality of plastic shuttles would have improved somewhat. Granted, the last time I played with plastic was a long, long time ago.

Even if the flight of the plastic is not the same with the feather, at least it is not inconsistent. If everyone uses plastic, then people will say that feather has the problem. Even the feather shuttles we use differ a lot when we use different brands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it? That is not very realistic, is it? Worldwide, I mean. If it is true it calls into question the common sense of the IBF members.

Badminton could well be the number 1 sport in Indonesia or China, but the USA, Europe, South America, Africa - not in a month of Sundays! It will NEVER challenge football or the major US sports in those places.

Anybody who thinks this can change in their lifetime is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Badminton will not even overtake the worldwide poularity of tennis in my lifetime.

Sad, but true.
    Even if it's not very realistic, one who aims for it shouldn't have their common sense put into question.

Another thing: badminton is not the no 1 sport in China or Malaysia, don't know about Indonesia but I'll wager not, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would assume that the quality of plastic shuttles would have improved somewhat. Granted, the last time I played with plastic was a long, long time ago.

Even if the flight of the plastic is not the same with the feather, at least it is not inconsistent. If everyone uses plastic, then people will say that feather has the problem. Even the feather shuttles we use differ a lot when we use different brands.
    I was given some new plastics to try a few weeks ago. They were being trialled as a potential replacement for feathers. The consensus was that although much better than any other plastics tried, they were still nothing like feathers. In particular, when smashed they became invisible by virtue of the speed they travelled at and smashes were undefendable. This testing was by players of a very good standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if it's not very realistic, one who aims for it shouldn't have their common sense put into question.

Another thing: badminton is not the no 1 sport in China or Malaysia, don't know about Indonesia but I'll wager not, too.
    Sensible goals should be achievable in a reasonable period of time. If the IBF is aiming for that then it is absolutey not being sensible or realistic. The common sense of anyone that aims for the obviously impossible (outside Hollywood) should certainly be questioned.

The IBF's goals should be credible - perhaps to get an extra 200 clubs affiliated to the US national governing body, or an extra 50,000 US players within 5 years, or to start a televised US national league, or whatever, but credible and achievable.

I didn't mean that it IS the number one sport in those countries, merely that it might be realistic for it to become that. What are the Chinese, Malaysian and Indonesian number one sports, by the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given some new plastics to try a few weeks ago. They were being trialled as a potential replacement for feathers. The consensus was that although much better than any other plastics tried, they were still nothing like feathers. In particular, when smashed they became invisible by virtue of the speed they travelled at and smashes were undefendable. This testing was by players of a very good standard.
    I think plastics come in various speeds for different temperatures and hall conditions. If they are undefendable because of the speed then go for a slower speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he knows something about Punch that you don't?

...If anyone would know, it would be Eepak or Ants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think plastics come in various speeds for different temperatures and hall conditions. If they are undefendable because of the speed then go for a slower speed.
    No, you misunderstand. Their tested speed was fine and, say, a clear from the baseline or a drop shot was as expected. However, when smashed they seemed to have completely different characteristics.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast