User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 120 to 134 of 134
  1. #120
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    I was just browsing http://www.yonex.com.au for an unrelated purpose, but a sentence there under the Shuttlecocks section caught my eyes and I quote: In factory smash-speed tests to 300 kmph, Mavis 370 delivered consistent 0.020-sec. recovery, only 0.005 sec. off the 0.015 recovery performance of YONEX Feather Shuttlecocks. Do you mean that the slightly slower recovery time is actually better in actual play?



    P.S.: I apologise in advance if I sound like I'm doubting you. That's not my intent. I just want to get a clarification.
    Yes, you are right. As a matter of fact it is possible to make top class goose feathers even better than the ones Yonex used in their lab tests, faster than the 0.015 sec recovery, but it is very difficult to make them in commercial quantities.

  2. #121
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    I was just browsing http://www.yonex.com.au for an unrelated purpose, but a sentence there under the Shuttlecocks section caught my eyes and I quote: In factory smash-speed tests to 300 kmph, Mavis 370 delivered consistent 0.020-sec. recovery, only 0.005 sec. off the 0.015 recovery performance of YONEX Feather Shuttlecocks. Do you mean that the slightly slower recovery time is actually better in actual play?



    P.S.: I apologise in advance if I sound like I'm doubting you. That's not my intent. I just want to get a clarification.
    recovery time is only one design parameter of making a good shuttle.

  3. #122
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Yes, you are right. As a matter of fact it is possible to make top class goose feathers even better than the ones Yonex used in their lab tests, faster than the 0.015 sec recovery, but it is very difficult to make them in commercial quantities.
    As a matter of fact it is possible to make top class plastics even better than the ones Yonex used in their lab tests, faster than the 0.02 sec recovery, but it is very difficult to make them in commercial quantities

    anything can be made better if the manufacturer wants to

  4. #123
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    It may surprise some of you that the lowest grade duck feather shuttles perform much worse than the best plastics now.
    Says a lot of how poor duck-feather shuttles can be.. Doesn't make plastic shuttles any better though

  5. #124
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer
    Says a lot of how poor duck-feather shuttles can be.. Doesn't make plastic shuttles any better though
    Yes for sure...
    But why would we use crap duck-feather shuttles when there are better ones (often for the same price)

    Anyway, does anyone know anything new about this? I can't find any other news which would confirm this article, and the (very bad) new IBF website has never said a word about this! (though this doesn't mean anything, knowing how badly IBF communicates )

  6. #125
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tupai (from Msia)
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have play with duck feather.. and it's feels ok!! but the colour kinda weird. black & white.. still a lot better than plastic shuttle

  7. #126
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s1nn3r
    I have play with duck feather.. and it's feels ok!! but the colour kinda weird. black & white.. still a lot better than plastic shuttle
    I've played with duck, good quality duck (if there is such a thing , the DHS 302) and it's OK. The feathers were white...because they were bleached. The difference between duck and goose actually was not much. I believe goose flies truer, longer and the feathers last longer. That's about it.

  8. #127
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bell tower
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was just thinking what qualities, apart from size, make feathers from particular birds well-suited for shuttlecocks. Does the fact that geese and ducks can actually fly make their wing feathers light and strong? Because I've played with chicken feather shuttlecocks a long time ago and all I remember was that they were absolutely awful. Flight's wonky and didn't last at all.

    Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is that I was thinking, apart from manufacturing synthetic ones, what other things can we do to increase the supply of feathers to keep the cost of shuttlecocks down. Using those of other birds, perhaps? If so, how about turkeys'? There have got to be quite an abundance of them from their numbers who get the chop year-round in this country, especially near Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Have anyone looked into whether their wing feathers are suitable for shuttlecocks? They can't fly---no, shooting them out of an air cannon doesn't count---so their feathers may not be strong enough.

    What about other birds, like ostrich? Too big, may be. Seagulls? What to do with the rest of the bird, though. IIRC, someone told me their meat is absolutely fishy and inedible.

  9. #128
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    I was just thinking what qualities, apart from size, make feathers from particular birds well-suited for shuttlecocks. Does the fact that geese and ducks can actually fly make their wing feathers light and strong? Because I've played with chicken feather shuttlecocks a long time ago and all I remember was that they were absolutely awful. Flight's wonky and didn't last at all.

    Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is that I was thinking, apart from manufacturing synthetic ones, what other things can we do to increase the supply of feathers to keep the cost of shuttlecocks down. Using those of other birds, perhaps? If so, how about turkeys'? There have got to be quite an abundance of them from their numbers who get the chop year-round in this country, especially near Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Have anyone looked into whether their wing feathers are suitable for shuttlecocks? They can't fly---no, shooting them out of an air cannon doesn't count---so their feathers may not be strong enough.

    What about other birds, like ostrich? Too big, may be. Seagulls? What to do with the rest of the bird, though. IIRC, someone told me their meat is absolutely fishy and inedible.

    u can't. The official shuttle was first designed around goose feather. Any changes will alter its original (reference) performance. Anything different is considered inferior by most players.

  10. #129
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dipolog, Philippines
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Now which plastic birds are IBF approved? Have there been any new plastic shuttles developed that are close to the flight and feel of a feather shuttle?
    Yonex has some shuttles that come close but they never achieved the feather feel. it still feels a whole lot different.

  11. #130
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandirom
    Yonex has some shuttles that come close but they never achieved the feather feel. it still feels a whole lot different.
    likely we will never achieve the exact goose feather feel.
    if it is possible to reproduce the exact same feeling.
    u think ppl wouldn't have done it with something more resembles
    goose feather like from another bird?
    i guess untill feather birdies supply got completley cut off
    nothing will be able to match the feather.
    For sure plastic bird will continue to improve.
    But as long as there r feather birdies, plastic will still be just an 2nd choice.

  12. #131
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dipolog, Philippines
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    whahahaha, how did i missed this thread

    if u worry about the future of badminton, here's a quote from dustin hoffman in the film 'The Graduate(1967)': There's a great future in plastics
    lol! very prophetic.

  13. #132
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, seems like everyone has to start over new again, that means if i start traning under these conditions now i might be able to get a headstart and finally realise my dream of being in the top 10 in the world, not that much of a bad thing i guess.

  14. #133
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Triangle of North Carolina
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Blame Game

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    Anything different is considered inferior by most players.


    Everyone on the court during a game will be using exactly the same bird! Feather, nylon, fast, slow, new, old, fresh, damaged, cheap, expensive, yellow, or white!!

    So, it would seem that the best players are really the ones who can win regardless!!!

    A lot of players are always looking for excuses to cover for their lack of ability!!!!! "I should have won, but the.....!!"


  15. #134
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    123
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    stop digging 2 yrs thread

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Similar Threads

  1. New yonex plastic shuttles?
    By jafffa in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 1
    : 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
  2. Nylon Shuttles (Plastic) Vs Feather Shuttles
    By Taijis in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 283
    : 07-25-2008, 03:55 PM
  3. New Carlton plastic shuttles
    By j_e_thompson in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 1
    : 10-27-2005, 08:32 AM
  4. carlton plastic shuttles
    By other in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 12
    : 09-25-2003, 09:39 AM
  5. Cost: Plastic shuttles versus Feather shuttles.
    By badrad in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 14
    : 03-09-2002, 11:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •