User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    I was just browsing http://www.yonex.com.au for an unrelated purpose, but a sentence there under the Shuttlecocks section caught my eyes and I quote: In factory smash-speed tests to 300 kmph, Mavis 370 delivered consistent 0.020-sec. recovery, only 0.005 sec. off the 0.015 recovery performance of YONEX Feather Shuttlecocks. Do you mean that the slightly slower recovery time is actually better in actual play?

P.S.: I apologise in advance if I sound like I'm doubting you. That's not my intent. I just want to get a clarification.
    Yes, you are right. As a matter of fact it is possible to make top class goose feathers even better than the ones Yonex used in their lab tests, faster than the 0.015 sec recovery, but it is very difficult to make them in commercial quantities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just browsing http://www.yonex.com.au for an unrelated purpose, but a sentence there under the Shuttlecocks section caught my eyes and I quote: In factory smash-speed tests to 300 kmph, Mavis 370 delivered consistent 0.020-sec. recovery, only 0.005 sec. off the 0.015 recovery performance of YONEX Feather Shuttlecocks. Do you mean that the slightly slower recovery time is actually better in actual play?

P.S.: I apologise in advance if I sound like I'm doubting you. That's not my intent. I just want to get a clarification.
    recovery time is only one design parameter of making a good shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Yes, you are right. As a matter of fact it is possible to make top class goose feathers even better than the ones Yonex used in their lab tests, faster than the 0.015 sec recovery, but it is very difficult to make them in commercial quantities.
    As a matter of fact it is possible to make top class plastics even better than the ones Yonex used in their lab tests, faster than the 0.02 sec recovery, but it is very difficult to make them in commercial quantities

anything can be made better if the manufacturer wants to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    It may surprise some of you that the lowest grade duck feather shuttles perform much worse than the best plastics now.
    Says a lot of how poor duck-feather shuttles can be.. Doesn't make plastic shuttles any better though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer
    Says a lot of how poor duck-feather shuttles can be.. Doesn't make plastic shuttles any better though
    Yes for sure...
    But why would we use crap duck-feather shuttles when there are better ones (often for the same price)

Anyway, does anyone know anything new about this? I can't find any other news which would confirm this article, and the (very bad) new IBF website has never said a word about this! (though this doesn't mean anything, knowing how badly IBF communicates )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have play with duck feather.. and it's feels ok!! but the colour kinda weird. black & white.. still a lot better than plastic shuttle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s1nn3r
    I have play with duck feather.. and it's feels ok!! but the colour kinda weird. black & white.. still a lot better than plastic shuttle
    I've played with duck, good quality duck (if there is such a thing , the DHS 302) and it's OK. The feathers were white...because they were bleached. The difference between duck and goose actually was not much. I believe goose flies truer, longer and the feathers last longer. That's about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking what qualities, apart from size, make feathers from particular birds well-suited for shuttlecocks. Does the fact that geese and ducks can actually fly make their wing feathers light and strong? Because I've played with chicken feather shuttlecocks a long time ago and all I remember was that they were absolutely awful. Flight's wonky and didn't last at all.

Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is that I was thinking, apart from manufacturing synthetic ones, what other things can we do to increase the supply of feathers to keep the cost of shuttlecocks down. Using those of other birds, perhaps? If so, how about turkeys'? There have got to be quite an abundance of them from their numbers who get the chop year-round in this country, especially near Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Have anyone looked into whether their wing feathers are suitable for shuttlecocks? They can't fly---no, shooting them out of an air cannon doesn't count---so their feathers may not be strong enough.

What about other birds, like ostrich? Too big, may be. Seagulls? What to do with the rest of the bird, though. IIRC, someone told me their meat is absolutely fishy and inedible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking what qualities, apart from size, make feathers from particular birds well-suited for shuttlecocks. Does the fact that geese and ducks can actually fly make their wing feathers light and strong? Because I've played with chicken feather shuttlecocks a long time ago and all I remember was that they were absolutely awful. Flight's wonky and didn't last at all.

Anyhow, the reason I'm bringing this up is that I was thinking, apart from manufacturing synthetic ones, what other things can we do to increase the supply of feathers to keep the cost of shuttlecocks down. Using those of other birds, perhaps? If so, how about turkeys'? There have got to be quite an abundance of them from their numbers who get the chop year-round in this country, especially near Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Have anyone looked into whether their wing feathers are suitable for shuttlecocks? They can't fly---no, shooting them out of an air cannon doesn't count---so their feathers may not be strong enough.

What about other birds, like ostrich? Too big, may be. Seagulls? What to do with the rest of the bird, though. IIRC, someone told me their meat is absolutely fishy and inedible.

u can't. The official shuttle was first designed around goose feather. Any changes will alter its original (reference) performance. Anything different is considered inferior by most players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Now which plastic birds are IBF approved? Have there been any new plastic shuttles developed that are close to the flight and feel of a feather shuttle?
    Yonex has some shuttles that come close but they never achieved the feather feel. it still feels a whole lot different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dandirom
    Yonex has some shuttles that come close but they never achieved the feather feel. it still feels a whole lot different.
    likely we will never achieve the exact goose feather feel.
    if it is possible to reproduce the exact same feeling.
    u think ppl wouldn't have done it with something more resembles
    goose feather like from another bird?
    i guess untill feather birdies supply got completley cut off
    nothing will be able to match the feather.
    For sure plastic bird will continue to improve.
    But as long as there r feather birdies, plastic will still be just an 2nd choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    whahahaha, how did i missed this thread

if u worry about the future of badminton, here's a quote from dustin hoffman in the film 'The Graduate(1967)': There's a great future in plastics
    lol! very prophetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, seems like everyone has to start over new again, that means if i start traning under these conditions now i might be able to get a headstart and finally realise my dream of being in the top 10 in the world, not that much of a bad thing i guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blame Game

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    Anything different is considered inferior by most players.

Everyone on the court during a game will be using exactly the same bird! Feather, nylon, fast, slow, new, old, fresh, damaged, cheap, expensive, yellow, or white!!

So, it would seem that the best players are really the ones who can win regardless!!!

A lot of players are always looking for excuses to cover for their lack of ability!!!!! "I should have won, but the.....!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop digging 2 yrs thread

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8