IBF tournaments to use plastic shuttles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by madbad, Dec 28, 2005.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

This was reported in the Star. Of note, look at the last paragraph on IBF approving the use of plastic shuttles. Anyone familiar with this? Or is this for junior tournaments only? It's CRAZY.

The Star. Thursday December 29, 2005

Malaysia virtually book semi-final berth after win over Japan

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia took a big step towards securing a semi-final ticket when they beat Japan 2-1 in a Group D tie of the Asian Under-16 Boys’ Team Finals badminton championship at the KLBA Stadium in Cheras yesterday.
    The Malaysian team, made up of shuttlers from the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS), picked up the first point through Teo Kok Siang in the singles.

Kok Siang defeated Kido Michiharu 21-13, 21-11 but Japan staged a comeback when they won the next singles match.

Top Malaysian Under-16 player Kuan Kam Chung went down fighting 16-21, 21-16, 19-21 to Wada Shu.

Kok Siang returned later to partner Mak Hee Chun to clinch the winning point for Malaysia in the deciding doubles match, beating Takiuchi Ryo-Kamura Takeshi 21-13, 21-12.

Malaysia will confirm their place in the semi-finals if they beat Iran today. The four respective group winners qualify for the crossover semi-finals.

Japan had chalked up a 3-0 win over Iran earlier in the morning and Malaysian team manager Hau Kim Tho said their opening match yesterday was crucial for the team.

“We had expected Japan to put up some fight. By beating Japan, we are virtually in the semi-finals. Our objective is to beat Iran to emerge as Group B winners. We are likely to face Indonesia in the semi-finals,” said Kim Tho.

Indonesia are expected to top Group B after a 3-0 win over Nepal in their opening match yesterday. The Indonesians will complete their campaign against Syria today.

South Korea became the first team to qualify for the semi-finals but they were made to work hard by India and Myanmar.

The Koreans won both ties 2-1, thanks to their doubles pair of Lee Dong-keun-Kim Ki-jung.

Favourites China had it easy yesterday. The Chinese team, who are expected to meet South Korea in the other semi-final, did not even have to lift their racquets after their Group A opponents Jordan failed to turn up.

China should beat Sri Lanka today to qualify for the semi-finals.

The championship has adopted the best-of-three-game 21 points new scoring system and plastic shuttlecocks. The new scoring system and plastic shuttlecocks will be used for all International Badminton Federation (IBF)-organised competitions from Feb 1.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Wow, badminton will not be an economical game. Economical usage of time and now economical cannon fodder. Maybe this is what the IBF wants to achieve.

3. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Who in the world appointed those nimrods in IBF? :eek:

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

are we seriously going to have to use plastic birds?

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Now which plastic birds are IBF approved? Have there been any new plastic shuttles developed that are close to the flight and feel of a feather shuttle?

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think you are just freaking out for no reason. Obviously the reference is to the junior tournaments as that is what was being reported on. ;)

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's still absurd to use plastic shuttles in a high-level junior tournament :rolleyes:

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    whahahaha, how did i missed this thread :confused:

if u worry about the future of badminton, here's a quote from dustin hoffman in the film 'The Graduate(1967)': There's a great future in plastics :D :p

#8 cooler, Dec 29, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  9. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    hey i think the mavis 300's are good shuttles, nothing wrong with that... :eek:

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, almost as great as the ones that are included in the kit's with two rackets, net and shuttle sold at the local gas-station :eek:

/Twobeer

11. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    im suprised greenpeace isn't against this... all those goose's killed for a shuttlecock lol

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  13. Normand

Normand Regular Member

Hi everybody

and while here I wish you all a Happy new year filled with exiting rallies.

For the plactic I don't know what will be the official Mavis product but I at least hope that it will be the 350 and not the 300. as it ressembles more the feather than the 300. I also hope that if the IBF stays with the scoring system that they change the back line rule for the serve as it would allow the server to have a better chance to score (the receiver is always ready to attack the short serve).

Norm

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yeah!

Why don't Greenpeace do something constructive.. like innovating an artificial feather that is actually good :D !! But as mentioned in other post.. You do not have to kill the goose to get four feathers from it..So I don't think badminton really kills any geese.. :p

/Twobeer

15. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    they should genetically modify a goose to grow like 10 left wings, so we can have more feather shuttlecocks at a lower cost, and make the feather more durable and stronger... lol :D

a man of science

16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

You're giving away the next IBF proposal: future IBF-sanctioned tournaments will be played outdoors with saggy nets and no lines. However, that's just a temporary measure. The real goal is to adopt speedminton as badminton within the next 2 years.

:D :p

P.S.: April 1st come early this year?

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    haha.. They truly find the way to reach the masses with our sport... Just change it to the version played by most americans during summertime :) ..

Instant popularity..

(Or as it says on one of my t-shirts.. "Instant Idiot --- Just add alcohol :) )

I can see several advantages:

a) more environemnt friendly.. If you don't forget the shuttle in the garden, that is!

b) Games are over very quickly..

c) No complex rules like lines and stuff.. Makes the rules easier for new viewers..

d) Steel rackets doesn break easy... Makes it good for developing countries to popularize the sport..

e) Wind adds another challenging factor for pro's (We, IBF, started to try this at Annaheim btw with great success)..

f) Less injuries (grass is softer than wooden-floors)

:D

/Twobeer

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I got it, beach badminton for pro!

19. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

It already exists. I remember seeing a photo of beach badminton somewhere. I don't recall where (I saw the photo), though.

20. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

How 'bout this for the next proposal: beach badminton as silentheart said, no singles event only doubles, tennis style serve from behind the baseline, rally scoring---of course, got to keep that---one serve per side; but, each side is allowed up to 3 hits between them before hitting the shuttle over to the other side.

Each side is allowed 3 90-second timeouts per set when loud music and cheerleaders can go on court to entertain spectators. Player clothing can not cover more than 25% of the player's body.

:p