Why do pros have different rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by john, Apr 1, 2002.

1. john

john Guest

I was just wondering why pros have different rackets, I know incase of braking one but some of them change their rackets in the middle of the game. For example: a person changes rackets after the first game.
    Why?!?!??!?!?

2. Phil

Phil Guest

Maybe if the game is very fast-paced, they want to switch to a lighter racket for the quickness. And if the game is slower, they want a heavier racket for more power. This is just a guess, by the way, I don't really know for sure.

Phil

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    When the pros change their rackets they normally change it as either the string is broken or the racket is broken. Another reason could be that they want to break the other players rhythm by taking a break.

But normally the racket that they change to is the same model. So i don't think its because of the game pace. Though there is a possibility.

If you see the player change the model of the racket, its possible that the player is in transition to a new model. Like when taufik was playing in the Singapore open i took a peek into his bag. Saw about 8 rackets, 4 MP77 and 4 Cab20

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    it's also likely that with the high tension strung and the power the pros hit the shuttle, a fresh set of strings are needed after one game to keep the string tension high.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'd like to know why some change racquet to a different model in the middle of a match!
    Two examples: Tony Gunawan in 2000 Olympic final and Eng Hian in 2002 AE s/f

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Found out the answer to one of my questions - the one where Tony G changes racquets form cab22 to MP100 between the 2nd and thrid game of the Olympic final 2000.

Apparently, Tony said the head of the MP100 is a little heavier so helping the smash. Cab22 is a fast racquet for drives. I haven't reviewed the match to see what differences to Tony's play it made.

Something happened though because him and Candra whipped the Koreans in the final set.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i agreed with that assessment. MP100 is longer and head heavier, more punch in raw smashes. Cab 22 smashes good too but the mp100 edge out in the smashing department. The cab22 feel livier and therefore edge out mp100 in drive and short burst shots.

8. Berkowitz

Berkowitz New Member

Switch rackets

I think....

They just wannna show off their racket collection to the audience...:D

Peace

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu