Badminton Information.....Online

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Nav, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Nav

Nav Guest

Ive been reading the Techniques for improving your game on the front page of BadmintonCentral.

It states: "Here are some articles from the Washington State Badminton Association Newsletter which describes some basic techniques"

I really enjoyed those articles, so I thought Id go looking for some more sites with that kind of information.

After looking at just two sites, I felt compelled to post what I found here. Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, I couldnt find any discussion of it.

http://www.badzone.co.uk/coaches%20corner/servicetips.html
    This site has taken a significant amount of information from the articles mentioned above, but doesnt seem to mention where they are taken from. I looked around main pages and index pages but didnt find any acknowledgement

http://www.thebadmintoncoach.co.uk/
    This is the web site of an English coach called Stephen Willis. The site is quite well organised and has a "Coaching Tips" section. I checked it out, only to find the content amazing similar to the Washington Articles. He doesnt go into the same level of details, but from reading it, the language used is very similar. He ends one article with the same quote about changing partners (I dont wanna go into detail). I checked the authors of the articles and he isnt one of them. The pages give no acknowledgement, and he lists them as "questions players have recently asked me"

I apologise if Im making too big a deal of this, or if Im wasting time and space. Its just that I find this incredibly......disgusting. Its a good thing that there are other websites out there promoting badminton and helping people with information on how to improve their game. But to take information from a source and to use it without giving credit to the original author is plagarism and something we can do without.

This is just my opinion, I guess it upsets me because at University, we were constantly reminded of how serious an offence it is pass off someone else's work as you own. I would really appreciate a few replies on this matter.

Cheers
    -Nav

PS. Since these sites have reproduced information from an official newsletter without stating the source, are they liable to any legal action from the newsletter or is it one of those legal gray areas of the Internet?

2. Nav

Nav Guest

I hate to keep going on, but I checked other sections of the site. The "Badminton Facts" section has a number of striking similarities to the Badminton facts section of Badminton Central. But I have no idea as to the origin of that information. Also those are facts as opposed to articles so I guess its not exactly copyrighted material. Out of curiousity, is all information on Badminton Central (without any specified source) original? For example, what was the source for the Badminton Facts section?

3. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Stephin Willis Posts on here!!!!! Ask him yourself! hehe. Although plagarism is against the law, I don't think that this applies because since this is "basic technique" most of the stuff in this article people were probably taught by coaches already so it would kind of be hard to give credit to someone unless you copy word by word. The guy who wrote those articles probably got that from someone else too! Just my opinion.

4. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Who cares... As long as you get tips, and its not that illegal. Were not talking about hacking into computer companys. Just good old badminton info to help the average player who doesn't recieve enough coaching.