User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey LB,

Would you consider move to LA? Maybe SF/SJ area for better courts? You can play against Kwan every other day?

This is just my openion. I am very surprised to hear this "good" news. I been to SGBC and I like it there. If this LABC is to open, it will be a big competitor of SGBC. I think it would be better to open in Orange county or Irvine area which has high asian density and not too many badminton courts. I like a nice facility like they planed on the web. A little competation is good. I am just worry that it might become a cut throat later with a no win situation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LAVBC or LABC??

Hmm,
    actually regarding this news, I kind of heard about it, from some people sometimes last year, that SGVBC is planning to move in to a new place. At that time, the idea wasn't clear yet..

One interesting tidbit of info to share with you guys, last week(Wed.) to be exact, i was visiting SGVBC after work and noticed they were doing some photo shoots in one of the court. They were setting up action shoot throughout the evening session in 1 court(usually there would be people playing). That 1 court was used entirely for some photo shoots. They had 3 professional guys doing the shoot, and noticed 1 guy was the photographer and he was going up a ladder many times to take some action shots.
    And so, after reading this thread, it all makes sense now, and i think that's what the photo shoot was for. And my gut feeling is they were taking some pics for promotional pics and most likely for the new club. From what i noticed, the players involved in the photo shoot were about 6-8 people(mostly the club's coaches and 1 or 2 Top Level A player).

BTW, there's a new website I just ran into today which sounds like LABC, but the place is called LAVBC(Los Angeles Valley Badminton Club) instead of SGVBC??..Is this the same place/club??Are they just changing the name??And could this be the new place for SGVBC??..

http://www.lavbc.com/

I tried the website link given below, but it won't open, so i don't know where the exact location is...If this is all true, I will try to find out some more info the next time i visit SGVBC on where the location is and will try to take some pics of the place to share with you guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Winex West Can
    Looks like there will be a new dedicated 15-court badminton facility opening up in LA this coming fall.

Nice layout although the courts looks pretty close together based on the floor plan.

http://www.labadmintonclub.com
    Last edited by ctjcad; 07-27-2005 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chris: I don't know about the location stuff but that photoshoot was for the L.A. Times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dan,
    ok, thx for the clarification..
    yah, that's my guess as well, that they would use the photo shoot as a commercial tool to promote the game as well as, importantly, the new club??Hmm, i have to look out for the L.A. Times edition where they will put the article as well as photos...

And what a strategy move SGVBC is doing, if indeed they are still the owner of the new LAVBC, setting it up coincidentally with the upcoming WC(in about 2+ weeks). Wow, great thinking by the mgt part and what a way to take advantage of this opportunity....

Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Hi Chris: I don't know about the location stuff but that photoshoot was for the L.A. Times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Site pics of future LAVBC..

OK folks,
    Well, i was able to swing by and took some photos, albeit from the street, of the location of the new badminton club(LABC or LAVBC) slated to open soon.

Based on the location and address given on the website, i passed by the area and noticed the new building is not there yet. The site still had some construction fences surrounding it. There is one existing building inside, but it hasn't been demolished, still intact and there are no sign of any construction equipments. Right next to the site, there seemed to be some construction going on, one for a commercial bldg. and the other for apts/condos.
    I guess when they say "The Los Angeles Badminton Club, scheduled to commence Fall 2005", it probably means, the actual demolition and construction will begin sometimes in Fall 2005. So my guess, the *earliest* they will have this new complex up and ready is sometimes next year(Summer 2006??and scheduled to host next year's US Open tournament??)..

Anyway, i took some pics of the site(mostly from the street side), don't know how much it'll help you guys with these...I'll try keep you guys up-to-date on this, as they start the demo/construction phase..
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by ctjcad; 07-31-2005 at 01:54 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris: Wow! LABC is less than 1 mile from my office. And thanks for the pictures.

Guess I'm going to have to check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris,

Thanks for your efforts and the update. It somehow does not look like that LABC or LAVBC will be ready to open their door soon from those pictures. But anyhow, it is always a good news for players since more facilities means competition. Thinking about SF bay area, I hope we will have more venues around LA/OC area.

Cheers,
    -Sean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was passing by the area this past weekend and noticed that there is another empty large commercial building just on the west side of the planned LAVBC, a couple or so blocks away. The building is still on Valley blvd. If i'm not mistaken, I believe it used to be somekind of a lay-away store owned by CHOC(Children's Hospital of Orange County). The building itself is quite big, IMO, good enough to hold 10-15 courts plus additional areas and high enough roof/ceiling for badminton. Also, it still looks like it's in pretty good condition. Add to that, there seemed to be enough, plenty of parking space available. So the complex itself is ready to be used.

I'm just wondering, if that's the case, why would the owner of LAVBC build a "brand" new badminton club from scratch, whilst there is one building available and ready, all he needs is to refurbished and touch it up. Although,
    i don't know whether the building permit will allow it to be changed to a sports-use.

I'll swing by the area next time and try to take a pic of the building, just so you guys can see it.

BTW, i also passed by the new proposed LAVBC site and noticed there is already a dirt-remover/mini bulldozer sitting next to the building.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 08-09-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday I drove by the LABC site and it looks like the commencement of some kind of construction has begun as the existing building(s) have been demolished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Badminton Facility in LA area

Hi to everybody! Happy new year! Just like to know if anybody heard any more news about the new Badminton Facility in the LA area? I can't seem to find their website and I don't see the thread anymore. If I remember right they're supposed to have like 15 courts or something and they're also planning to host the 2007 US Open. Please let us know the website or any news about this new facility.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys! I found the website .... http://www.labadmintonclub.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreky
    Hey guys! I found the website .... http://www.labadmintonclub.com/
    When will they start breaking the ground for construction ?? The waiting has been too long ........ maybe the owner has a second thought about it !!! Cause full time badminton facility might not be a good or profitable investment to get into ....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harimau
    When will they start breaking the ground for construction ?? The waiting has been too long ........ maybe the owner has a second thought about it !!! Cause full time badminton facility might not be a good or profitable investment to get into ....
    I see the owner of LABC once or twice every week. I spoke with him about the progress/or therelackof. He said he's ready to go but there's a delay with the city in getting all the correct permits so he doesn't have a tenative date anymore.

So if you ask when's LABC going to open, he'll say, "As soon as possible but I don't know when."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I see the owner of LABC once or twice every week. I spoke with him about the progress/or therelackof. He said he's ready to go but there's a delay with the city in getting all the correct permits so he doesn't have a tenative date anymore.

So if you ask when's LABC going to open, he'll say, "As soon as possible but I don't know when."
    Hehe, as usual, that's just the way it goes or the "politics" here in the L.A. area with getting building permits .
    BTW, here's another link of this same topic..
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...6&page=1&pp=18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys .... i'm going back to cali soon .... any news about this new club?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreky
    hey guys .... i'm going back to cali soon .... any news about this new club?
    Still hasn't started development. SGVBC is going to still be your best bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this is great news. i'm getting tired of going to play at either Walnut or SGVBC and finding it overcrowded. i'm tired of being at either place for four hours and only playing four games total! so the more courts there are, that means that people can spread out. i'll look into this new place and see how much it costs, then i'll decide where i want to get membership at.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast