Places to play in Kitchener-Waterloo Area

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by InToNiK-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. InToNiK-

InToNiK- New Member

Anyone know of any good places to play in the Kitchener-Waterloo Area?
    I know of a few.. but not very good environments.:crying:

Thanks

2. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Places to Play in the Kitchener / Waterloo Area

Places to Play in the Kitchener / Waterloo Area

KW Badminton Club (formerly Granite Club) - This is the best local venue for badminton players. There are 6 hardwood floors, very modest membership fees ($100 to $150 yearly) --- with 7 x 24 access to the building. They recently received a provincial grant and have improved the heat and insulation. Guests are welcome --- and guest fees paid can be used towards membership. This is primarly a feather court venue. The place could use a coat of paint. If you are looking for high calibre play, you should be able to find it here. If not, you should be able to find some contacts to tell you where you can find it. There a tournaments hosted here throughout the year.

Breithaupt Community Centre - They run a recreational badminton program. Competitive doubles badminton (using Yonex Mavis 350 nylon birds) is $4 and runs Tuesday and Thursday night from 7:15pm to 10:15pm. The ceiling is several feet lower than regulation ... but there are a strong core of regulars. Birds are supplied -- and matches are made by an organizer. There is a less competitive Sunday (1pm to 4pm) session.

Forest Heights Badminton - Every Monday night at Forest Heights Highschool, there are 6 courts for this 70 member strong club in Kitchener. There are all levels of play. Guest players are welcome for a fee of $5/evening. Birds and refreshments are supplied. Memeberships are available from time-to-time for between $25 to $50 for the entire year. A magnetic board is used to arrange games. Singles games can take place later in the evening as members leave early.

Other ideas: If you have a partner and need a venue, RIM park has good fascilities and several nights they set up badminton nets. Also, the YMCA in Kitchener has a dedicated following of players. In the summer months, Connestoga College offers badminton on Thursday nights for $3. There are (up to) 8 courts available. It is not organized, but they can get up to 30 people out on a good night. There are all levels of players. It is a good place to bring your family --- as there is a good chance there are other people who want to learn. The University of Waterloo has some very good players and pretty good fascilities. There may be some fees. The University can supply more information.

Hope this helps with your search.

-- Scott Brown

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I second on Scott's recommedation of the KW Badminton Club. Best value for your money. Low cost for membership and high calibre of players. Many of the UW varsity players and their coach play at KW. Also of note, this is a FEATHER badminton club

Being a UW alumni, i recommend the UW badminton club. $20 per semester (for students + staff). They supply plastic birds but you can bring your own birds if you want. They always have social events and tournies. Lots of fun and friendly ppl.

...what do you mean by "Not very good environments"???

4. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Hi,

I currently play tuesday night at Bluevale highschool. It's mainly a club for WRDSB teachers. There are a few good players though but for the most part it's a recreational league and very fun to play with. A lot of nice people. I was interested in joining the KW club. I was wondering if you could post the website so i can get the contact info.

Thanks.

5. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Hello:

The K/W Badminton Club does not appear to have an official site, however, this like will give you the phone number and some information on available nights.

http://www.ontariobadminton.on.ca/OBA/OBAWebsite.nsf/0/3C0659244391409D85256D6D007170C5?OpenDocument

Thursday night is "ladder night". It starts at 7:30pm each Thursday. You play doubles, and you get a chance to play with each person in your group of four.

This would be a great chance to meet the organizers of the club --- ask some questions. I think the fee for the first year is very reasonsable --- around $100. The second and third year are a little more.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Scott B

6. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Hi Scott,

yeah I contacted the organizer and he gave me the details on joining. Thanks a lot! I was curious do you play there?

7. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Hi chhayalak:

I do not currently play at the K/W Badminton Club. They primarly use feather, while I usually play with nylon (you know how *REAL* players look at you when you say you play with nylon.

If you come to play on ladder night, I would be willing to come out an play as a guest (so we could meet). I went as a guest in January and won my ladder that night. The transition to feather was not too bad --- but it would take a while to master the real feather bird.

I am the treasurer of the Forest Heights Club ... and am a regular at Breithaupt. Both locations have a wide range of players -- including many players who have played competitively in the past.

I still want to find a place to play recreationally in London (Ontario). I would like a place I could just drop in and choose from different calibres of players.

Thanks, Scott B

8. twg

twg Regular Member

Engineer
    I live in KW and have played at all the places mentioned above.

Let me try to give my honest high/lows of each location:

KW Badminton Club:
    mostly younger players, the older players are very skilled

highs: good calibre play, 24x7 access, dedicated badminton courts/lighting

lows: when I played there, people were snobby, tend to play in groups (except for ladder nights), place was REAL cold in the winter (haven't played since they put up the insulation though), and although not stated, pretty much feather only, used to be really expensive too, though I understand that has changed

Breithaupt
    Somewhat mixed with more older players

highs: cheap, mostly beginner to intermediate, friendly atmosphere

lows: concrete floors (really feel it on the knees), low ceilings (watch those clears)

Forest Heights
    Crowd is predominantly older

highs: cheap, friendly people, real gym (regulation ceiling and wooden floors), mostly beginner and intermediate, with a handful of good players

lows: can be busy

UW badminton club
    All UW students from 1st years to post grad

highs: cheap, modern facilities, lots of courts, wide variety of players from beginners to almost varsity

lows: BUSY, must be UW/Campus rec member, stingy with birds

Hope that helps...

9. RSLCANADA

RSLCANADA Regular Member

Pres of RSL in Canada
    I visit K-W club before Christmas, the heat system are doing a good job, the room are pretty warm, I heard from Admin that it's much much better than before. And I think their membership is really good considering the facility and 24/7 access.
    Better to ask Admin what's the time good for you to go, for I know their high performance group play tuesday and thursday night, if I didnot remember wrong.

There are two more clubs I know. Stratford Badminton club, there are some good players there. Feather and Plastic shuttles.

Woodstock, it's the most competitive club, strong jr team. Soach Saj is very good. All feather. Evening from Monday to Friday, not sure about weekend. You can find their website in Ontario website.

10. BooCloud

BooCloud Regular Member

I am a member of the KW Badminton Club... it's a great place to play. the members are usually friendly, you should approach them for games, as they most likely won't approach you. The level of play there is very high as we have members who are internationally ranked as well as a past consecutive all Canadian champ who has competed in the All England open.

The coaching there is great very worth while, the 24/7 access is pretty amazing... there is no other facility so dedicated to badminton in this part of Ontario. The improvements they've made aren't the best right now but it is on going and it is A LOT better than it was before.

11. jimthegreatone

jimthegreatone Regular Member

Out of curiosity... any loo students here???

12. ibaniski

ibaniski Regular Member

student
    yeah.................. :)

13. BooCloud

BooCloud Regular Member

I'm a UW student

14. DarthHowie

i'm an alumni....class of 2004..Woot. I still drop by to play at SOTF every semester (i'm the chinese guy wearing a headband and oakley glasses).

Hope that helps.

15. BooCloud

BooCloud Regular Member

Hey i think i've played you before.... = )

16. jimthegreatone

what year and program is everyone in?
    I'm in 2010 SYDE...
    yes... i'm a frosh... heading back in the summer for my 1B term... haha

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    hehehheheh... hope you enjoyed the stay in NY.

Maybe 1 day we can head up to visit you instead. ;)

18. jimthegreatone

Thanks Laz...
    Always a good time when u r around... hahahahah
    and definitely come visit me later... :D

19. DarthHowie

B Math in Honours Computer Science 2004.

Hey BooCloud. Will you be playing at SOTF this summer? I'll make sure I say hello to you and jimthegreatone

20. jimthegreatone

hahahahaa... wow... u r like 5 years older than me... go easy on me... haha...

i'm jim... as my name suggest... hehe...
    and u?