NEWS : Difficult start for the 2006 Wilson Badminton Swiss Open

Discussion in 'Swiss Open 2006 / German Open 2006' started by kwun, Jan 3, 2006.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Text and photo by Dille Andersen, int. pressofficer, WBSO 2006

Difficult start for the 2006 Wilson Badminton Swiss Open

The 16th edition of the Badminton Swiss Open nearly did not happen! Countless problems have interferred over the past months making it a
    'make or break' situation for the Organisers. The main problem was caused by new software at the IBF office making it impossible to perform the draw for this event. Tournament Director Charles A. Keller (pictured) says: "First of all, I will start by saying a big 'Thank You' to our friends around the World making it possible to get this event on the road. We have had a very rough build up like we have never experienced before! And the fact that we received the draw later than the last minute makes us very appalled! We only received the draw for the Qualifying and Main events early in the morning of the 30th December, less than 4 days from the start of the event - and that is most unheard of! On top of that it was filled with errors. The Women's Doubles draw in particular had to be re-made.

That did not happen until late on the 2nd January - after the Managers meeting had finished!" Charles Keller continues: "We were very frustrated by the whole thing and about to make our own draw... How can an International Federation 'kill' an old, working, system before a new is integrated and tested to be working?"

This attitude is being backed up by the Dutch Bonds Coach, Martijn van Dooremalen: "When the move of the IBF office was made, no one understood what that would mean in practice. It is not just moving the computers. And as we understand it changes have been made to the system, which is not an easy task to do from scratch, creating quite severe problems for Organisers of Events." Martijn van Dooremalen added, with a wicked smile, "Don't throw away the old shoe before trying on the new one...!"

The Danish coach Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen agrees with that and calls it
    an "unprofessial behaviour by the IBF". He finds it ridiculous that players, who should not even be seeded, have been placed as lower seeds. "The new IBF office is in a mess and the longer it takes for things to work in perfect order, the more unprofessional it will appear! It is dissapointing and frustrating that it goes so slowly"

The 2006 Wilson Badminton Swiss Open event is now well underway, with the qualifying rounds taking place in all event.......

Attached Files:

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Another problem caused by the IBF? or the Organiser?

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not exactly the sort of publicity badminton needs after getting Wilson to sponsor this tournament. Badminton badly needs new sponsors - and retain them.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm afraid this is disturbing news and I agree that the so-called "new" software system should be tested successfully first before implementation in IBF tournaments like the Swiss Open.

I hope those concerned will take note and not try to rush matters to make it worse. If needed, more professionals and other experienced workers should be summoned to ensure things are in tip-top condition.

I very much look forward to IBF in KL succeeding in all its endeavours and though we understand that initial teething problems are inevitable, IBF management should get these sorted out as early as possible. Many more tournaments are just around the corner. :eek:

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If I am not mistaken, other tournaments draws in the past have had problems . And that was when IBF was in their previous headquarters.

I didn't hear of any complaints, but that's not to say that any didn't exist.

Let's hope the IBF team in M'sia do a root cause analysis.:)