What happens if.......

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Nanashi, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    What happens if i hit a shot to my opponent and they throw their racquet at the bird and it hits it over for a winner?

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Throw their racket? umm... okay

3. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    That happened to me before... actually.. they didn't really throw it far but I think it slipped out of their hand... it went over though... it was close to the net and it hit the rim of the racquet and the shuttle bounced over. It was during practice though and not real games so didn't really worry about it:D

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I'm pretty sure that this is not allowed in tennis, but I could find no Badminton Law that covered this situation. However, if you opponent's racket invades your space it MIGHT be a fault in accordance with Rule 13.4.2

see http://www.intbadfed.org/laws.html#13.3

does anyone know if this situation is coverd in the Laws?

5. Hank

Hank Guest

Hmmm... that's an interesting questions. I wouldn't be surprised not to see it being mentioned in the rules since I don't think anyone would use throwing their racquet as a winning stradegy. If they happen to win the point, I doubt that they'll win another one doing the same, so there'd be no point mentioning it in the rules, but I could be wrong.

6. I believe the racket has to be in contact with the body of the person who let it go in order for the shot to count.

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    provided the racquet does not break the plane of the net, it is acceptable. if the racquet breaks the plane, invades the court space of your opponent, it is then a fault.

8. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    hmm... interesting.... i should e-mail the IBF and ask.... even though it has never happened to me, it would suck to lose that way in a competition right? =)

9. Tony

Tony Guest

I think it is a win as long as the racquet doesn't invade opponent's air space or touching the net. Some player does it on purpose to try their luck but I never see any success.

10. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Not true!

Tony, badrad, or NWO-

can you cite the rule that applies to this situation? I believe that your racket is allowed to invade the opponents space as long as it doens't interfere with their response. check out Law 13.3 on the IBF site.

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: Not true!

Law 13.4.2 states that it's a fault if your racquet or person invades the opponent's space except in cases cited by Law 13.3.3 which basically allow invasion of opponent's space by a racquet on a normal follow-through of a stroke.

As for throwing the racquet, apparently it is acceptable as long the racquet does not cross over the net. The laws did not indicate anywhere that throwing a racquet is a fault.

12. It's a 3-pointer, don't you think? it requires a lot of "LUCK" to do that! :)