baseline to baseline shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by djsaysauce, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djsaysauce

djsaysauce Regular Member

can you advise on how to successfully complete this shot? my return shot only goes just past the net or to middle of oppenent's side. i use yonex isometric 65 light, unaltered since bought new - except i replaced the grip.

2. arsnic_uk

arsnic_uk Regular Member

Student
    Hey djsaysauce,

Baseline to baseline shot isnt entirely based on brute force...well it does help if you have MASSIVE forearms but yeh it only counts about 20%? The 80% is all in your technique. If you scan round the forum for information on the basic shots(in this case the clear), it should give you an insight and preferably sum guideline that you can take in and try.

Just keep practicing and you'll get there...
    Heres my insight...(plz correct me if im wrong)
    Presume that your in the centre of the court and moving to the baseline,
    1.)stand side on/or square depending on what suits u best
    2.)non racket side should be facing the net
    3.)non racket hand should be raised to provide balance
    4.)racket should be facing you (again depends on your grip)
    5.)pull your racket arm back (like an archer pulling his bow...not literally but you get the idea!)
    6.)unwind and try hitting the shuttle at about 11o'clock (fink of it like this:shoulder/elbow/forearm/wrist)
    7.)as your swinging...follow through (thus your body should turn 180 which means that you should end up with your racket leg forward).

*sorry if its a bit vague and unclear!

Yeh thats it really...if you want more detail,like i suggested look around the forum. Technical information like pronation,etc should give you a more detailed insight into the shot. Best advice is to see others do it and try to mimic it and give it ago. The technique is similar to a tennis serve if that helps you visualise it. Again like i said...its your TECHNIQUE u need to work on!Goodluck!

3. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

just relax and hit the birdie. imagine the flight path of the birdie in ur head. use some strenght, although u really dont need much to do it. make sure to shift your weight. and dont slice the birdie, it'll only take out the power needed to get to the baseline.

4. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

forgot to include and example. even little elementary school kids are able to do it without those muscles... u hsould be able to too!! :)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's timing in your swing and in your body movement. Imagine snapping a wet towel at the shuttle. If little girls from China's training camps can clear baseline to baseline, you don't need brute strength to do that:p.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Doh! You beat me to it:D!!!

7. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

hehehehe... my internets just faster :)

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Try this simple way. Make sure you are not facing the net square on. Your shoulder and arm should be towards the back and as far away from your body as possible. It is a little like a javelin throw or the throwing of a cricket ball by a fieldsman back to his wicketkeeper.

9. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

not really... that takes too much FULL arm movement. tryy a vollyball serve :)

10. djsaysauce

djsaysauce Regular Member

thanks for the tips.

i've tried the 'tennis serve' swing and have noticed a definite improvement. now i need to aim better! and also get into position better/faster (footwork, i imagine).

i think my game has plateaued lately, so this is a great start.

11. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    For a powerful baseline clear, you need to create maximum power from piviots in ur body. Try to sync your waist, shoulder, arm and wrist rotations to unleash maximum power as well as bent knees and jumping. Just like a multiple chained whip action.

12. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

13. CoolDoob

CoolDoob Regular Member

Unfortunately for the phsysically weaker player, keep trying will do very little good. Keep trying for a whole year got me not much better than being able to clear a couple of shots and then crumple to the floor from exhaustion.

First of all, you have to get your swing right: begin the swing with your chest facing a direction that is perpendicular to the path of the incomming shuttle. To hit the shuttle with this swing, you have to hold your racket in the proper way.

Secondy, you must hit the shuttle at a height that is at your maximum reach, above your head and slightly forward of your swing. Even better if you can small-jump or tip-toe to reach it.

Thirdly, ignore those people who tell you to go pump some iron.

Lastly, ignore the know it alls who tell you that equipment make no difference but your skills alone will matter. Get a super repulsive racket such as Yonex Ti-10 or something just as repulsive. Get Ashaway MicroLengendXL string or something just as thick and elastic. Tension at 16.5LB mains and 17.5LB cross. As long as you get the first 2 steps mentioned above right, this last step will not only allow you to clear baseline to baseline, diagonal to diagonal, it will also make a lot of your shots go too far out of court. Once you have done that, come here and ask people how to control the distance.

Performance of strings vary from day to day. On days that the MicroLegendXL don't work so well for me, I find that Yonex BG68Ti can become a very powerful string, and vice versa.

Also important is food. High energy stuff like chocolate can be eaten in moderation in game breaks to boost power, perception, and reflexes. Heavy stuff like burgers will slow you right down if eaten during a play session. However heavy stuff can be eaten prior to play, which will give you a store of energy. How long prior to play depends on your body. I find that I have maximum performance when I eat until full 1 hour before play.

A rather funny thing concerning food happend to me a couple of nights ago. My power was below my best on the night, I happened to have a normal sized Mars bar in my bag. So I ate it. A couple of games later, I was hitting all my shots out - lifts, clears, drives, you name it. Eventually I got fed up with it and had to stop the game and go change to the racket with BG68Ti that was weaker on the night. And that fixed the problem.

#13 CoolDoob, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Amen, Brother! I am still struggling to attain perfect synchronization to minimize effort. Most of my baseline clears and smash are generated from my arm and shoulder. Still trying to time my coordination so that I get power from my hips and abs as well:(.

15. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

this is wrong. there are little elementary kids here in taiwan who probably weigh about 35 kg and their arms are as thin as a stick. they are all able to clears all the way to the baseline. even crosscourt. what splitstep said is true.

you dont need to be strong to hit a clear. those kids were even able to do good smashes! and they were only what, 1.4 meters tall? its in the technique. getting better string wont help.. those little kids use the randomest of rackets and strings. youll never believe what they use :) and i doubt they get good nutrition either. they're families are usually too poor here in taiwan. their equipment are school funded. and their schools are really poor too. its all in the technique :):):)

16. CoolDoob

CoolDoob Regular Member

Perfect technique works. Those kids train day and night perhaps. Maybe there are more than one way to the same destination. My way doesn't take too much physical work, just a little money. I have no trouble accepting the fact that my approach is for the lazy person who needs a quick solution.

#16 CoolDoob, Jan 6, 2006
  17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

CoolDoob,

There's a reason why people train. Baddy is a finesse game with moments for delicate touch and powerful shots. When you can count on the shots you wanna make, your enjoyment of the game takes on a new level. That's why hardcore badders seldom get out of the sport unless injury and lifestyle responsibilities take precedence. They never get out due to sheer boredom (unless of course, if they have been playing for a living most of their lives:p).

Don't keep practice and drills out of your game as consistency makes other aspects of the sport come alive. Besides, you wanna play for the long run. Why settle for short term solutions?

#17 cappy75, Jan 6, 2006
  18. CoolDoob

CoolDoob Regular Member

Unfortunately, drills and training bore me. I play badminton because I like the playing, and if playing itself turned out to be a training, then so much the better.

I was pointing out one approach where people can very quickly acquire the ability to do clearance. I know how difficult it is for many people to do that because I was one of those people only a month or two ago. Now that I have overcame the obstacle via equipment rather than training, I am happy to share the experience.

I have none of the techniques save for twisting my waist in my swing, yet I can clear without too much effort. From my perspective, the over elaborate technique necessary in the Skills Approach is redundant. But of course I am not saying that approach is wrong. But I do believe that appach will prevent a lot of players from gaining the ability because of the effort needed.

I don't find the game less enjoyable because I don't have the right techniqus. As long as I continue to become better against those I play with, whether it is done through better skills or equipment makes little difference to me.

19. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Sooner or later, you will hit a plateau in which "you are the best" out of your group. (hooray :) *clap clap clap*)

BUT, unless you are content to stay within your small stagnant group of players, eventually a better player will come along and your skills will be tested.

THEN, all the money in the world buying better racquets and shoes (except for hiring a pro to play-for-you :rolleyes: ) will not improve your game to beat this challenger. It will lead back to learning the proper technique.

For some players who has been playing for an extended period of time with poor technique may find if very difficult in their later years to change thus never be able to advance beyond their current state.

Cheers!

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

More importantly, improper technique leads to injuries when you're being moved out of your comfort zone by more experienced players. The chances for injury increases dramatically as the quality or intensity of the game goes up.

Playing properly means getting the most efficiency out of your movement, position and swing. Being handicapped by long term injury certainly won't be fun once you are out of your youth and no longer play with the same vigor and energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.