Strathmore Open 2006

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by ViningWolff, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Alright all you bird thrashers far and not so wide....

2006 Strathmore Open is on for March 3/4th.

It's a team event. $35 per person entry.

You'll get lots of games in -- if you have a four person team, each player will play at an average of five matches even if they get knocked out first round of the elimination draw after pool play.

(If you make a final and go the distance each round, you'll end up playing around ten matches over two days)

We have music going, an anti all-whites rule in effect and for a trully unique experience, GREEN dyed shuttles (makes it easy to see in our off-white gym)

If I get 108 players entered: A winner gets $1000; B winner gets $600 and C winner will get $400 in prizes (Last year it was brand new Forza Legend 80s for the members of the winning team) and we'll have a BBQ to feed you (probably Friday night) and wind up sponsored by Big Rock Beer.

Check out the website.

If Cappy, Woodchuck, Pete LSD and few others want to make the trip out this way, it looks like my wife and kids will be Vancouver, so I can probably put you up for the weekend. Grab that Cooler guy and make him play!!!

Keep in mind that entry will be capped at 24 teams so don't leave it too late (already have five team spots reserved)

http://strathbad.tripod.com/

#1 ViningWolff, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

3. Break-My-String

I forgot to ask, how do you dye the shuttles green?

Cheers!

4. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Tourney starts at 6:30 on friday (runs to about 10:30) then starts again around 10 am saturday.

The shuttles come dyed green from the factory. Not sure what they use, I'm assuming a oil-based dye off some form.

The best ones is when they only lightlydye them (they come out an aqua color) - they steam well and last like the regular white ones.

We've found the really really dark ones (almost black) tend not to hold moisture as well and have to been steamed a few days ahead of time.

The color really screws people up at first - you can see the spin on the bird when withe the whites ones you normally can't.

The worst thing was that it was a guy on my own team that showed up in all whites (it was his first year and he was used to playing in the private clubs) - he and his partner were made to play with the cut down junior raquets a whole doubles game ( and they were playing a WD team - so they were down 0-7 to start with) - another guy had to play wearing a sombero in his singles match.

This year I'll have oven mitts and some hideos get-ups (something with pink or lime green fur.

What was really cool is a junior rural team made the A event 1/4 finals (they played amazing games in the round robin) then ran up against the #1 team (mostly national players)

The #1 team asked for odds against them to make it more interesting. That was pretty cool and really showed the spirit of what the touney is all about (they ened playing left handed in the first doubles)

Though when it gets into the semi's, things get serious, even if a former number #2 provincial ranked singles player is out there going mach 1 in a pink tu-tu. ( no, I'm not kidding)

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Wow, this is tempting.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Damn... just came across this thread:(. Too late to get a piece of the action. I will bookmark this for next year:p! Thanks for the offer though, Vining:)!

7. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    It looks like I'll be out at the coast the weekend of February 20th (to drop the family off) so I'd hope to get out and hit with you guys at VRC again.

8. Break-My-String

ROFLMAO This reminds me of an Xmas badminton social over 20years ago in which I had to play wearing a humongous home-made foam sombrero (which you had to support with your non-racquet hand) and have balloons attached to my racquet! Talk about not being able to see anything, let alone trying to hit the shuttle over the net! :D

Cheers!

9. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Hey Vining, this is kind of off topic, but do you know if Strathmore is having another high school invitational tournament soon? I know they usually have one for the Senior badminton around this time, i was just wondering if its going on again this year

Thanks

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Wow, thanks for the invite! :D I just came across this thread, too. Haven't played baddy for a few weeks now, though. Got to start training for when Vining gets in town ... I'll add Feb 20th to my calendar.

-dave

11. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Well if there is going to be a Vancouver contingent, let me know asap. (Already have ten teams and were over six weeks away - have one, maybe two teams coming in from Grande Prairie)

Got the shuttles - they turned out to be a nice baby blue color. Less dye than last year so they should steam well and fly excellent. ( I'll try to post a photo of them in the next day or two on the website)

Booked my ticket - will be driving out to Vancouver Feb 17th. Fly back out at 6 am on the 21st.

So a bird killing session is in order that weekend...

I'll back back for the weekend of March 7th, but we'll see how mich time I have.

12. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Here's a picture of the shuttles I got from Hi-Qua for our all white gym.

We did a test on them last week- durability is excellent (steam very well) and if anything, they were slightly slow.

[​IMG]

13. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

your pic doesn't work.

i'm really looking forward to playing in this tourny. hope my team does well :cool:

14. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    #14 ViningWolff, Jan 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  15. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Damn nice shuttles vining, havnt played with blue ones before. Wish i coudl have gone to the strathmore open but dont have a team...well for the highschool one anyways...oh well theres still time to get one together i guess.

16. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    You should round up a few of the guys that post here and make a BF er team!

17. smash_master

player/coach/student
    haha yeah that would be interesting, but i dont know if anybody would want to pair up with me on their team, well ill see about the highschool one though.

18. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    yeah are you sure there is going to be high school again, and did father lacombe even enter last year? GO CRESCENT AND LCI!!

19. smash_master

player/coach/student
    theres like 2-3 good players at our school...were not a massive badminton power like crescent or anyother div 1 schools...and no we didnt enter last year our coaches (if you can call them that) arnt really how to put it very informed about whats going on.

20. FZ10000

FZ10000 Regular Member

hey michael lam.. guess who?
    what school do you go to smash master? what are you going to play? jr, inter, or senior?