Shuttlecock serve machines?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by qqsu_azure, Jan 5, 2006.

1. qqsu_azure

qqsu_azure Regular Member

Software Developer
    Hi, did anyone see some shuttlecock serve machines? I saw the machines which are used to serve in tennis and pingpong, but never see the familar machine on the badminton court. If there's no such a machine for now, why there's no manufacturer make it?

I think a good serve machine might be very useful to provide a tough training for a single person. Also, if it's computer-controlled, the training should be perfect if the coach is in holiday! :cool:

Does anyone have any idea about this casual question? :rolleyes:

2. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    Im just trying to think how this would actaully work lol, i mean its easy for launching tennis balls since they only require two rollers to be spinning at high speed and balls drop in. But a shuttle is such an odd shape.. my initial ideas were launching them from a tube with some kind of gas powered valve. Or simply have a mech arm constantly swinging with a shuttle feeder lol.

3. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i think it would definitely have to be an arm being swung mechanically - using gas power wuold be complicated because of the structure / nature of shuttles...

also if you use and arm and a racquet it would be a better simulation, and you wouldnt have to worry too much about how damaged the shuttles are..

one problem - i don't think mechanical arms are at a standard where the necessary racquet head speed can be generated...

Coops

4. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    Its so complicated to make a shuttle launching system, thats probably why no companies actaulyl attempted it. I mean how much would they sell it for? No ones going to pay alot for it.

5. qqsu_azure

Software Developer
    Hang a tube which contains shuttlecocks, use a switch on it's bottom to drop the shuttlecocks. Then trigger a power motor to swing the racket to hit it. I guess the whole system must be controlled by computer to keep high accuracy. Does it work? :confused: :p

6. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

launching machine

They already exist...how do you think companies test the shuttles they've made? Unfortunately they're too big/expensive for the kind of use you're thinking of.

7. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
  8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    This topic has been talked about many times in previous threads. Please do a search. Thank you.

9. qqsu_azure

Software Developer
    Oh...The machine doesn't look elegant...there's no swinging racket as I imagined.
    Hi Pete, sorry for raise this repeated question. It just suddenly appeared in my mind when I saw my coach had been doing multi feed too much. :p

10. Dennis

Dennis Regular Member

Plumber
  11. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student

Having a racquet swing at the shuttle in fact would be the "not elegant" design. :D There's no need for such complexity because controlling the timing and angular velocity would take a lot of sensors and embedded software. Using compress air or a hydralic ram would be much more elegant from an engineering standpoint.