What type of player are you?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Curious George, Apr 4, 2002.

1. I'm bored at work (it's me Kelvin, aka curious george), and I would like to find out from players out around the globe who read these threads...

What type of player are you?
    By this I DO NOT mean are you offensive, or defensive, single or doubles... none of these things...

But I mean, are you an angry type of player? are you intense? are you laid back, and relaxed type of player? are you a happy player? essentially what type of mood are you in, when you play badminton?

Just curious.
    -Kelvin
    PS: I'm an intense, over-anxious player.

2. Josh B.

Josh B. Guest

I am the exact same as you Kelvin. Sometimes if I get too anxious, especially when I have a perfect net shot, I might just miss it due to my over excitement because over excitement sometimes messes up my footwork.

3. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Ya or when your up 14-2 and you are too hyped up about getting that last piont. End up losing the match.

4. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I hitnk im a lazy laid back person.... most of the times.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I'm a pretty intense player, often displeased with my own performance, and often quite audibly...I shout and curse a lot if I mess up. But I NEVER throw my racquet. I just hate it when others do that. Actually, I hate it when others shout too, so I am really trying to better myself!

Usually during a match the opponent becomes my personal enemy and I hate his/her guts (killer instinct I guess, heh), but I always act like a sportsman -- which in my book involves not letting any of the above show, and making fair line calls, praising the opponent if called for, and refraining from shouting YES! when the opponent misses a shot... (in my mind I am going SUCKER! though...)

I hate poor winners more than poor losers, so I hope I am a better winner than loser.

Towards my opponent, after the match, I always attribute my wins to luck and my losses to poor skills... even though I know it's the other way around. ;)

The bad feeling after a poor performance usually rinses off in the shower if not earlier. I will let a good win I linger on for days.

6. marti j.

marti j. Guest

I'm an intense, focused, and calm player though i have more anxiousness than my calmness. But i try not to curse after missing a super easy, returnable shot.

me too, i try not to shout "Yes!" whenever my opponent misses a shot. Cuz it kinda sucks if your opponent does it to you.

Most of the time, when i hit a hard hitting, finnishing jump smash or plain smash, i do it with the greatest lack of emotion--before, during, and after. so it seems all natural to me. This is one of my favorite ways to intimidate my enemy. hehehe...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I like to think I have the same characteristics except for the shouting and cursing part. I used to do that but found that for the next shot, the tension increases in the arm and generally I'd get worse.

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Up until the beginning of last season I was a bad tempered player and fiercely critical of my own performance. Everybody kept telling me I had the ability if only I would not let my mind get in the way. My curses were audible and I would often convince myself that I would lose before going on court.

I have recently had the fortune to have been paired with good partners, and have become a much more pleasant character on court. My mens partner is extremely volatile and particularly critical, both of himself and others, so to counteract that I have spent the season looking calm and concentrating on my own game. My mixed partner is someone I get on very well with off court as well as on and our reparte has had a positive effect on my countenance.

Once these partnerships became established the results came pouring in. I have lost only one league game in the latter half of this season. Results mean confidence and confidence means relaxation and relaxation mean results. Easy.

I remain a bad tempered singles player, but that is because I am rubbish at it.

9. Iwan

Iwan Guest

I'm sort of two sided... When the game doesn't demand much of me, I am a cheerful person, I praise the opponent for any good shots that he makes that I couldn't get. I smile nicely at the opponent with satisfaction when I worked them for one point and I'd go "haiya!~" when I make a foolish mistake.

But when the game demands a lot, I'd be a totally different person. I concentrate a lot on the game, don't show any emotions or say anything unless spoken to and keep my head cool. I usually start feeling awkward and thrown off when I start making silly mistakes when I'm playing like this though. Maybe this is just over competitive of me, but that's fine right? :) wait... I do show emotions at times... I'd smile with pleasure after a really good rally, even though I lost it as long as its not due to a silly mistake. Well, that's me.

10. Dan

Dan Guest

I'm an A level player in doubles and B in singles. My mood changes but mostly, I'm an average intensity player. From my experience, I find that being angry does not help at all. It actually makes one make more mistakes. I like playing against angry players ;-))

11. Dan

Dan Guest

Playing doubles mostly, I don't like playing with a too intense partner. I have the fortunate and unfortunate of playing with both types of players: Intense angry and calm players. One incident I can remember is this partner of mine who although makes a lot of unforce errors, decided to hurry me and push me not to make mistakes. I calmly asked him not to push me and after he stopped, I played so much better and we actually won against our opponent which were stronger than us. Again in my opinion, I like playing against angry players ;)) If you are one such player, give me a call ;-))

12. Carmein

Carmein Regular Member

I'm more to relaxed and happy player as I'm just a beginner. I will not curse whenever I make a mistake but I will apologise to my team mate. Haha. Though my friends say you do not have to apologise, but it becomes part of normal routine. I'm not an angry player because I do not play intensively. I only play badminton for fun, however I'm constantly searching for opportunities to play better where one of the ways is to play frequently. I guess you have to be calm most of the time and to encourage you team mate to play better in the next round comfortably. You'll feel good when you have a supportive member though you've made mistakes. Just my two cents. :0)

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    lol man, you managed to revive a 6 year old thread lol. that's impressive.

14. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    The thread starter could of died already.

15. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Oh man. I thought I was lost in a different forum. I got confused when I saw "guests" replies. At least we know now that Carmein searches the thread before posting. Good job. :D

16. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    I'm a lazy player. I don't like to chase the birdie always. So i never play single.

17. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Can be pretty relaxed at times at doubles, but when time comes when facing a good doubles/singles opponent, i can quite intense but not off the scale type:D

18. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm intense to the extreme when playing singles but pretty relaxed when playing doubles. I'm usually quite well behaved, only getting vocal when the umpire/my opponent/I do something really stupid. I used to throw rackets but have given that up now. A relaxed attitude (as long as it's not an "I don't care attitude") is probably the best way to go, but I can't help being up tight when playing singles, afterall, if something goes wrong, 99% of the time, you only have yourself to blame.

19. zdndz

zdndz Regular Member

in school
    I think I'm determined player

20. Cassetti

Cassetti New Member

Student
    From what I've seen you play you are pretty intense and insanely fast.

Myself I consider concentrated and pretty loud.