User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 26
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    aujerbajan
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Howard Bach's Improvement

    Just watched the Copenhagen Final. Gunawan, Bach vs Fu Cai. Bach's improvement since WC is remarkable. He follows the shots so much better and is starting to create offense with his shots. While his smashes aren't exactly devastating... his defense has excelled. Howard Bach seems like he is becoming an at least decent if not good international badminton player.

    One more thing. Its tough to play with a player who much better with you no matter what level. For Howard Bach to play with Tony Gunawan and to improve is huge. Playing with a legend basically puts all the pressure on you. If you lose it is your fault. At first when I watched WC in Anaheim I wasn't sure about Bach but know I have huge respect for him.
    Last edited by Eurasian =--(O); 01-09-2006 at 01:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes Bach seems improved much. However it seems
    that Tony was not as good as in the WC. Reaction
    is much slower and tons of errors. Maybe it is just
    lack of systematic training or something, he was
    dominating at the beginning of each of the 3 games,
    however lost energy after leading 8:3 or something
    like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    Just watched the Copenhagen Final. Gunawan, Bach vs Fu Cai. Bach's improvement since WC is remarkable. He follows the shots so much better and is starting to create offense with his shots. While his smashes aren't exactly devastating... his defense has excelled. Howard Bach seems like he is becoming an at least decent if not good international badminton player.

    One more thing. Its tough to play with a player who much better with you no matter what level. For Howard Bach to play with Tony Gunawan and to improve is huge. Playing with a legend basically puts all the pressure on you. If you lose it is your fault. At first when I watched WC in Anaheim I wasn't sure about Bach but know I have huge respect for him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wow yea i really noticed that about Tony aswell .... in the copenhagen match he seemed off his game and Bach seemed to be alot more focused and intense

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tony is 30 years old already. We can't expect him to keep up at that pace for long. Just wish him the best. I just hope Howard will learn as much as he can from Tony.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    not that old.... aslong as he is injury free I dont think age would be a huge factor yet, especially in doubles.

    How old is andre agassi ?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    aujerbajan
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wedgewenis
    not that old.... aslong as he is injury free I dont think age would be a huge factor yet, especially in doubles.

    How old is andre agassi ?
    movements in tennis are not the same as in badminton. no badminton singles players last into thier 30s even doubles players generally quit before they hit 30. there are of course some exceptions

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tupai (from Msia)
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    movements in tennis are not the same as in badminton. no badminton singles players last into thier 30s even doubles players generally quit before they hit 30. there are of course some exceptions
    tennis player got lotta time to rest in between, sometimes even can have a tea & eat banana .

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    movements in tennis are not the same as in badminton. no badminton singles players last into thier 30s even doubles players generally quit before they hit 30. there are of course some exceptions
    Eriksen, Teerawiwatana .... or also ... Hoyer-Larsen!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wedgewenis
    wow yea i really noticed that about Tony aswell .... in the copenhagen match he seemed off his game and Bach seemed to be alot more focused and intense
    Maybe the new 21 system will help him. In almost every game, he was really dominating the first half, making his opponents look like fools, before his gas run out. If playing 21 points, a lead such as 8:x x<3 would kind of guarantee taking the game. So Tony would be able to rest to some extent after establishing an early big lead. :-)

  10. #10
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    Tony is 30 years old already. We can't expect him to keep up at that pace for long. Just wish him the best. I just hope Howard will learn as much as he can from Tony.
    Bingo! Good post.

  11. #11
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    movements in tennis are not the same as in badminton.
    Yep, tennis is significantly less demanding, relatively speaking. You get a lot of time to rest. Badminton = take no prisoners.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    aujerbajan
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Eriksen, Teerawiwatana .... or also ... Hoyer-Larsen!
    some of the exceptions.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N.A.
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    At first when I watched WC in Anaheim I wasn't sure about Bach but know I have huge respect for him.
    In Anaheim I found him to be rather rude and ridiculous...

  14. #14
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asphyxiate
    In Anaheim I found him to be rather rude and ridiculous...
    Hmmmmm, maybe (hopefully) his gestures were misinterpreted/misunderstood.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asphyxiate
    In Anaheim I found him to be rather rude and ridiculous...
    howard had been dreaming all his life to be in the WC. To to be playing in the WC final with AND against his idols, dream and reality borderline become blurry. I too would be like that in la la land.

    if u think howard look ridiculous, have a look at the audience
    Last edited by cooler; 01-18-2006 at 12:22 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N.A.
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Hmmmmm, maybe (hopefully) his gestures were misinterpreted/misunderstood.
    I hope so too. However I distinctly remember him shouting "THIS IS MY HOUSE, GO HOME!!!!" The ump had to give him a warning after this. (I was at the WC and he shouted this practically right in front of me. I remember even some of the Americans sitting around me were quite upset with him, to put it mildly.)
    I was kind of disappointed when I heard this because they were the only Americans to make it to the quarter finals and above, and it made them look extremely bad. Especially too that they were playing against Gunawan's old teammates. I admire Gunawan a LOT. His humility and ridiculously good skills. Of course you can be happy to win, but really, I felt that Bach overdid it by far. Hopefully with time he'll learn not to be so.. forceful. Take a page or two out of his partner's book.

  17. #17
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asphyxiate
    I hope so too. However I distinctly remember him shouting "THIS IS MY HOUSE, GO HOME!!!!" The ump had to give him a warning after this. (I was at the WC and he shouted this practically right in front of me. I remember even some of the Americans sitting around me were quite upset with him, to put it mildly.)
    I was kind of disappointed when I heard this because they were the only Americans to make it to the quarter finals and above, and it made them look extremely bad. Especially too that they were playing against Gunawan's old teammates. I admire Gunawan a LOT. His humility and ridiculously good skills. Of course you can be happy to win, but really, I felt that Bach overdid it by far. Hopefully with time he'll learn not to be so.. forceful. Take a page or two out of his partner's book.
    I feel there are cultural differences here. There's a saying in American Football, "it's my house" or "we have to defend our house" meaning you/we have to defend our home ground/stadium/state/country/city.

    This type of saying is meant to pump up the person, it's not derogatory or meant to insult anyone. Cultural differences. Just like I think it's silly and kind of cocky for players who win a match to clap (whether it's for themselves or for the audience) and raise their arms up. It's because I probably don't understand the meaning or purpose. The same applies here.

    Unfortunately, most of the time, perception is dismissed as fact. It's just a fact of life. C'est la vie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Howard Bach @ Conan
    By staples in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 16
    : 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM
  2. Howard Bach - USA's Olympian
    By Loh in forum Olympics BEIJING 2008
    Replies: 16
    : 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
  3. Howard Bach will be at SGVBC in an hour!
    By DinkAlot in forum San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club ( SGVBC )
    Replies: 0
    : 03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
  4. t-shirt-Howard bach
    By Antiiies in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 4
    : 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
  5. Howard Bach - Does anybody know?
    By baddie76 in forum Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006
    Replies: 5
    : 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •