Move or not???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LazyBuddy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After a long holiday break, decided to go back to gym to get back in shape. :D It's always nice to see friends around, and play some games. Most of the games I played this time, are not that serious, but more like semi-competitve and semi-recreation type.

However, I've met 2 players, who asked me the same following question, as should they move more often or try to stay and guard one particular area in doubles. Both players have some strokes, but have bad footwork and don't have too much sense of double strategies. They said they frustrated their partners easily, as people don't know have to play with them.

As a test, I asked to play with each of them in several games, and spot the following:

1. They are very much competitive, and willing to win... ;)

2. They can move, but don't know how, and where to go. Therefore, many times, I had to hold my racket back, as I see a head right in front of me when I was about to excute a stroke. Or, a 200lb body suddenly chasing me, and in danger to knock me out of the building. :eek:

3. They have good stamina, and even willing to run circle around me. However, that only provides more confusion rather than help.

4. If they are asked to stay to guard one section, they ended up standing still stiff, and have very slow reaction for coverage when i am being pulled off balance, regardless front of back.

5. Both seems got bothered easily with the game result (even though, we won about at least 50%).

I am more than willing to give them some advice, of course, doing proper training with footwork and develop right strategy is the key, in a long run. And at least one of them already started to take training.

However, I wonder if there are some "short cut" can let them at least be more "effective" in game during the development stage? They are nice people, and I hate to see them getting frustrated (or frustrated their poor partners). :rolleyes:

Any advice is welcome here. ;)

2. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    let them watch some games like how the pros do it, have them play with someone whose playing level is lower, so that you could teach them the proper movement, techniques, who gets the shot, where to move, etc.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol, i thot the thread title meant to vancouver or southern calif :D

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    True that. For a long run, they surely have to learn the right thing to improve.

However, my intention is about "what to do now". More like, "which strategy" will cause less furstration and "damage" to the already "not too great teamwork". :rolleyes:

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... If I have the choice to go, I will not ask such a question. The title will be "I am moved to..." :D

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The easiest way is to have a coach babysit one player at a time.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You mean, during the training, let the coach team up with the player, can correct him/her during the "game"? I think that's a good idea, and I saw some more advanced players actually doing that. :rolleyes: But I think the players I metioned, still have a long way to go with the basics, such as footwork. :cool:

8. glencomienda111

manager
    maybe its better if they cover a certain area depending on how they like it like side-to-side or front-and-back. tell them their area of coverage so they wont go bumping into each other:D..........or maybe film them while they play, then after the game show it to them and slowly point them their correct and wrong moves.

9. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

u and your parter should know when to move where like if you move to the left your partner should know to go over to the right and not get in the way, and they should know if you go into the front he/she should go to be back :D . thats just how I do it

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    They should, no doubt about it. However, they are still fairly in the beginner category, and sometimes trying too hard, I think. Use the right way to play is the sure goal, but more for a long run as for now.

The intention I asked the above question, is to find if there's any ideas I can tell them, so, they can at least be more effective in games within their own ability. You know, they have the ultimate competitivenes... :rolleyes:

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    During my test, seems "staying within 1 section" work better in game result point of view. As long as they can stay on their toes, they can cover their own section more effectively, and not getting into partner's (mostly me :p ) way. However, sometimes they show a "being hurt" face after being told to guard just a particular spot, or after bumping into others. Guess it's the pride.

Man, it's just too hard to be nice all the time... :eek:

12. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hi LB,

It sounds like you have 2 very eager players but do not understand the zones & responsibilities when playing with a partner. For a quick & simple strategy...

(1) force them to play side-by-side, regardless if they are defending or attacking

(2) they cannot enter the other player's side, except when their partner says help or yours

(3) teach them who has the right-of-shot when the shuttle lands near the middle

With the above,

(a) they will learn to control themselves from entering into another player's zone
    (b) opportunity to learn / improve their footwork front & back
    (c) this will introduce the defensive positioning

Obviously, with this side-by-side strategy, it opens a whole bunch of weaknesses especially when you're trying to attack. The key point is they are learning to control their eagerness to get every shuttle.

Besides footwork, learning the proper offensive & defensive positions and how it transitions is the next goal in their development. It is key that you tell them, just because the player who is not hitting the bird does not mean you're not involved in the rally, but he has the responsibility of positioning. They are to "work as a team" and need to communicate well with their partner.

Cheers!

#12 Break-My-String, Jan 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Hmmm, I remember a coach at ClearOne also offered this advice.

Instead of dividing the court left-right, or front-back, you can divide the court diagonally while attacking. The back player has the rights to a straight path to the net. The other player protects the front, and the back-players offside shots.

Can you try that?

-dave

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Simply asking them to watch pros play might complicate matters even more. Depending on their experience, these players might take in the wrong information or fixated on aspects of the games ill-suited to their needs. They might get fired up but won't learn much unless they know what to look for.

For beginners, I would stick with B-M-S' suggestion until they get used to area of responsibilities. Side by side is probably the best formation to start with, as playing offensive entails more comprehension of prerequisite concepts. ie. what shots to make and how to setup partners, etc...

Hmm... the C1 coach's advice sounds like a mixed doubles coverage, it might bother the players if either one of them hates to stay at the front all the time.

15. glencomienda111

manager
    maybe my post wasnt that clear, anyway what i mean was let them watch how the pros move on the court and their area of responsibility, explain to them why for example player A went forward, or backward or sidewards and what player B should do, so that they will learn the movements. i just used the pros as an example because they are the only ones that i have a chance to watch on screen (i havnt tried filming myself playing, its just gonna be a waste of film:p) and you could watch it all over again and even play it in slow motion just to give you an idea on how to move on the court without bumping to your partner:)

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I also think that BMS and Cappy75 both gave very good suggestions for these two enthusiastic and restless youngsters. :D

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think that watching the pros play is more inspirational than instructional for newcomers to the sport. What you suggested is all good but you have to worry about them taking in the necessary information w/o any distraction. Amazing plays and form of the pros are distractions. The newbies will be overawed by the pros' incredible form to learn what you wanted them to know.

With speed and power being more emphasize in MD and MS, it's beyond the reach of even the highest level competitive amateurs. On the other hand, watching LD and LS are more useful to us as they play at a slower pace.

The better alternative from video watching would be to discuss with them while both of you sit on the sideline watching good players play.

#17 cappy75, Jan 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Very good advice! I love of the idea of sticking to "side by side" until they further improve in their technique and strategy. This way, they will learn how to protect at least half of the court effectively, as well as minimize the confustion between partners.

Also, great idea of positioning w/o the shuttle. Like a NBA coach mentioned before, the most importment movement is not when you carry a ball, it's how to move w/o the ball in hand. ;)

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am 2nd to cappy's point.

The pros can do a lot of things with their superior condition and understanding of the game. Also, they have a "just as great" partner on the side, who knows and can do no less.

In normal club level of playing, us joe-club-level players sometimes get confused and over concerned about the result of a rally or a game. Sometimes, we did the right thing, but lost the game, we jumped into a conclusion of "not working". On the other hand, we can have tons of bad habits, but won a game, simply because against a weaker opponent. Then wrong impression coming up again as "hey, this is the right way to go". Never have to metion, with a "not too great" and "always alternated" partner, it further confused the situation, as there's NO reliable standard to measure yourself's progress within a game.

Therefore, I think it's a much better idea to stick to the fundamentals (i.e. taking lessons, watch badminton instruction vcds, etc) for the ealier stages. :)

20. glencomienda111

manager
    i agree, the pros might be too fast for beginners to follow:). ive tried BMS suggestion before, i played with 2 beginners before i explained to them offensive(front-back) and defensive position(side to side) and during the game i call out what to do if i find them hypnotized:p like mine, yours, go forward, go backward untill they got the rhythm of things. it took them about a month before they played without any coaching, and they only play 1x a week for 2hours.