how to play shots close to the body

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Chetan, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Chetan

Chetan Regular Member

hi,
    i pay badminton regularly and of late the guy i play with has been hitting a lot of hots to my body, especially at the arm. i am forced to give a weak return as the angle is very odd and the rally generally ends fast. any suggestions? also this speeds up the game a bit to much for my liking(a lot of flat net level shots are hit). any suggestion to slow the opponent down?

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    tips from a beginner....

1. stand at a defensive stance... ie, two legs at the same level.
    2. place racket in front of you... as if you are taking a smash directed at the lines
    3. keep your centre of gravity low...

hopw this helps...

3. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

The sooner you can take the shuttle the easier it gets. Bodyline shots are an excellent tactic as it is very difficult for an opponent to return the shuttle to the rearcourt, enabling you to move forwards. The best practice is hitting the shuttle against the wall, getting you used to returning the shuttle from difficult positions near the body.

If you are in a position to return the shot to the rearcourt then do so. Otherwise concentrate on returning the shot low over the net forcing your opponent to hit up. This is easiest as |R|S suggests with a low defensive stance and your racquet well in front. This can be observed by watching good counter-acttacking ladies return smashes in mixed doubles.

If you are struggling watch your opponent racquet hit the shuttle through the strings of your own racquet, you will find that you will automatically move your racquet to the correct place to stop the shuttle hitting you.

4. Chetan

Chetan Regular Member

thanks for all your tips. i will try out your suggestions in tonight's game and let you know if they work for me. i didnt quite get what | R| S means by 'keep your centre of gravity low'. further elucidation will be helpful.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Take a defensive position, crouch very low and shoulders forward. Keep the racquet arm in front. As soon as the shuttle is hit by the opponent, pull the racquet back directly. and then play the shot.

One very common mistake on the preparation is to pull back in a circular motion rather similar to a tennis stroke. It can happen unconciously. This will slow your stroke down.

6. Chetan

Chetan Regular Member

it worked. i won 17-15 15-6. i also found i was standing too far back while serving.