strings: non-branded(equipe or generic) vs branded(yonex, ashaway, gosen, etc.)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by linlin, Jan 10, 2006.

1. linlin

linlin Regular Member

i would like to ask bc people what they think about non-branded strings as compared to yonex strings(bg80 and bg85). i asked coz ive been playing with my cab21, strung with generic/non branded strings, tension 20lbs..with this combination, the feeling of hitting the shuttle was solid.. i loved the "pok" sound you distinctly hear on hitting the shuttle.. solid as it could be..smashes were not only strong but accurate as well.. after a few games, i decided to have the strings changed to yonex bg80 and up the tension to 22lbs thinking this would give me better performance but unfortunately, i think it didnt..now smashes were weak plus the sound has become like a metallic ting.. do i change my string back to the non branded one plus decrease my tesion back to 20lbs or let the yonex bg80 sit in for awhile and see(maybe after a few days, the pok sound will be back plus smashes would be stronger)? which sound should i be hearing to see whether its a good hit on the shuttle, the solid "pok" or the metallic ting? in terms of performance, which is better, tension on a racket just restrung or one that had been strung a few days back(2-3 days prior)?does yonex strings(ex. bg80) perform better than non branded strings?could tension be also a factor even at a low 20lbs?hope someone could give me their opinion on this..

2. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    currently using Bay62 string (Baysports)

IMO i think it perform as gd as bg 85.

y not just use bg 80 for awhile more. mayb sometime later, u adjust to the string and u can hit well....sry for my poor english

3. vcheewei

vcheewei Regular Member

how long did ur 20lbs old unbranded string strung? what i think is perhaps the tension might have drop below 20lbs(maybe 18lbs?) and u are used to it. Now, u upgraded to a higher tension 22 which is 4lbs diff (it's considered a huge diff) so u might find that ur shots are weaker.

Same goes for me, i was using my Cab on 21lbs for many months and get used to it. Shots are powerful so is smashing. When i change my first string to BG65Ti with 24lbs i find that i'm using a metal stick hitting shuttles. And all shuttles don't fly far with no power at all. But once u are used to it, the power will return.

Now, i'm able to use any of my friend's racket with tension 24lbs or slightly higher without problem of hitting with power.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Equipment selection is down to personal preference. If brand A fits you better than brand B, then A is your choice, regardless which brand owns more share of the market.

However, branded products usually means acceptable quality control, as they need to keep up with their reputation. The non-branded products usually divided into 2 catogories. One type is the "rising star", therefore, means good deal. The other type is the "cheap and dirty", even though, seems u save a lot of $$$, but the quality is no where near acceptable. :rolleyes:

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you want to make an accurate comparison of strings, you must keep the same tension.

If you want to make an accurate comparison of tensions, you must keep the same string type.

And in either case, you must keep the same racket.

Only change one variable at a time!