professional badminton players after their career

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chobo, Jan 11, 2006.

1. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    i heard from someone that professional badminton players in their late 30s and 40s develop injuries and may have to seen in a wheelchair due to overtraining, is this true?

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

hahaha... i hope not. I know for a fact that Ardy Wiranata can still play competitve badminton at 35 (i think) and hes not even close to being confined to a wheel chair.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think it's a rarity, no more chance than average person.
    camilla martin and peter Ramussen retired mostly due to injuries but they're sure aint on a wheelchair.

4. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs

I still see lotta 50 - 70yrs old ex-national player around 50 - 60yrs still playing badminton and do coaching in Malaysia... :rolleyes:

5. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    i know that Alan BK and his wife,Susi S opened a dress store in jakarta,n now,they're doing ASTEC business rite now.For info,astec is one of the indonesian badminton apparels brand,which considered the best,as the two legends themselves chooses the raw materials.

6. event

event Regular Member

It would be ironic indeed if you heard that from another Canadian considering that 44-year-old Canadian Denyse Julien set the record in Athens for being the oldest ever Olympic badminton competitor.

The ranks of the Korea Badminton Association teem with ex-professionals, as does the coaching staff of every school and professional club. None have any trouble walking, some are still very good at playing, and most look very fit.

7. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Dont think people are that injured after playing on the world circuit. But the way badminton is played with massive pressure on knees and back for those angles and jumps puts a pressure on your body and cause of that players sometimes have to retire before they wanted to due to some injury. we have seen players like Sun Jun and Peter Rasmussen totally worn out and had to retire.

Camilla Martin however didnt retire due to injuries. she only had one major injury in her 13 years old career and that happened in AE 2004 when she already had planned to retire. Camilla Martin was fed up with badminton and who can blame her, for over a decade she was the single european to fight the asians and the "wall" from China and to succed in that is one of the biggest performances ive seen in the history of sport. That WC 99 was outstanding!

8. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Han Jian Told me: YOu must be Fit to play badminton, not play badminton to be fit..

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I was once read an article from a forum, saying some retired athletes had very serious injuries, and some of them having trouble walking which ended up in a wheel chair.

However, all the names mentioned are no names to us fans. Why? Because they got such injuries, and can't perform at a very competitive level for sure, therefore, they never get the chance to be on the big stage. I just feel very sorry for the unlucky ones.

Of course, the chance to be that badly injuried, could be rare, but I would rather believe the stories.

10. aindro

aindro Regular Member

IT programmer
    Wow, seems that badminton is a dangerous sport ! I thought that boxing was more dangerous than badminton.
    It is possible to develop an injury, but it seems to me that it is a rarity.

11. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    only applicable to PROFESSIONALS...

if tats the case, badminton sport will definitely go down the drain....

12. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    Well, most players after they retire coach, open a business or maybe just enjoy their retirement... Hahahahahhaha... Badminton is not a dangerous sport, hahaha, if you are not fit, then it ould be.. Well, it depends on how hard you train.. And just remember, young kids shouldn't train (physical trng) on hard floors.. Bad for their bones...
    Anyway, most INA players turn out to be businessmen, coaches... Like, Rudy Hartono -> Top One oil.. Alan Budi Kusuma & Susy Susanti ->ASTEC...
    Very rich ppl...

13. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Injury

What he means is that if you are not fit enough, You are more likely to get injured... espcially the knee, shoulder and elbow as badminton put a lot of stress on those area..

If you are better perpare physically than you wont put unnessary injuries to those area.. and extra muscle would have strengthen the join.

But Han Jian style is less physical demanding that those attacking players. He even said nowadays profesional badminton player stroke technique are not suitable for long term playing! as they can get injured easily!

14. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    Especially KNEE and ANKLE!! a lot of players would injure themselves around there... Not only the old2 plyrs, juniors too..