beginners stringing machine in the uk

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by lindanfan, Jan 12, 2006.

1. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i am looking for a stringing machine which is being sold from the uk but i am having trouble finding one within my £300 price limit. does anyone know of some websites that sell decent manual machines? this is the best option i have found so far:
    can someone tell me if this is worthwhile, the webpage is http://www.watdon.com/Manual.htm. i also have looked at the other manual machines on that website and they look fairly good.
    [​IMG]

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

you will struggle to find anything cheaper inside the UK.
    UK stuff just costs too much.

I got mine (Gamma Prog II drop-weight) from America (www.atssports.com), because the exchange rate was good, but then you also have to pay for shipping and import duty. I've had np problems with it.
    miscellaneous tools from www.eagnas.com and Gefen Sports
    string from www.rapidrepairs.biz

That one looks pretty good for £300, but you can't tell how good it actually is from a photo. Have a good read through the other threads in the Strringing forum before making a decision.

3. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

thanks,
    i like that machine because it has a 6-point mounting system and the company is based nearby

4. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

That price of £435 does not include VAT, that's another 76 quid, taking it to over £500.

Plus, it's a professional machine, it will be faster than a cheaper machine, but does it really matter to you if it takes you an extra 15 mins per racket?

There are loads of machines in the US for half the price that are not only cheaper, but easier to use. Plus, you can get ones with weights for badminton only, a big advantage for accuracy.

5. jock

jock Regular Member

Stringer
    I've used the Exthree AM200 from Yehlex (www.yehlex.co.uk ). I think it's about £350 including VAT and delivery

6. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

thanks guys,
    the price of the machine pictured is £295 ex VAT though

7. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

That machine looks a bargain for £300, nice good quality flying clamps , the only problem i'd have with it is that its a table top machine rather than a free standing machine

8. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

they sell free standing machines as well:D

9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

You know, looking at the picture closely especially at the clamps, that machine looks like a rebadged Eagnas. Because the clamps look suspiciously like the PN-1012. If so, may be Eagnas machine owners can comment?

10. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i don't really mind if it is an eagnas because i have heard alot of good things about eagnas. the only reason that i wouldnt get 1 is the shipping price to the uk

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

lovely machine..altough the sidesupports aren't brilliant...They look like mine, and then can get in the way.soemtmes forcing you to screw them off. pull threw string. screw back on. tension it...

12. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

a little bit off subject but i was looking through some threads and saw one about pre-stringing. the description of it sounds as if it would be easier than normally and you wouldn't have the problem of difficulty getting strings through grommets where cross and mains strings both go through. does anybody agree with me on this or am i completely wrong?

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

personally i find prestringing a mess...I fidns teh dental-floss tip a lot more useful...

what i do: tension first 4mains. then weave all mains, then tension. then start crosses...no awl-use with dental floss and weave as far as you can, then tension...
    but i do it in 40min..i like to take my time...

14. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

is stringing really as hard as people make it out to be? i have a ok knowledge about it. do you think that i would get stuck or mess up 1st time i string a racket without help? (i would have a pattern guide though)

15. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

that isn't that slow... a junior from my club took 5hours:eek: (very inexperienced)

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

use a very old racket...and a crappy string. so u have no worries abot messing up...

the worst things that can happen:
    -you get stuck and can't get the strign threw a shared grommet. use awl/dental floss.
    -you tension it wrong/don't tension last string: start over (no need on your practise racket)
    -wrong pattern: cut string
    -wrong calibartion: you break the racket
    -you remove teh arcket with only mains tensioned: you break the racket

all in all: if you pay attention nothing goes wrong...and when practising on you old arcket..don;t use tensions like 27x30...

17. jerby

jerby Regular Member

that's very slow....

when i started stringing my own, and sporadically others, rackets i took 1,5-2 hours...tensioning two at a time, and more experience reduced my time a lot...

fyi, i started at my 14th..so don't be afraid your too young...(small difference mgiht be my dad helped me..although I now string all rackets that come into this house:D ...)

18. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i think i may be able to claim a feel reel of not very good string with that machine anyway, i also have a 10yr old fleet racket. perfect:D

19. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i will be starting at the same age:D

20. Sudda

Sudda Regular Member

Student
    i started stringing last year when i was 15. It took me 2.5 hours the first time but it got better afterwards. One thing to remember is to measure the string properly. I ended up with no string left for the last few crosses.
    I think you should Consider getting an Eagnas stringing machine as I did. If you get an Easy-3 or ST-200, it’s only around 180GBP and the postage wouldn’t be more than 50GBP. These are pretty reliable machines according to some threads.

I got the cheapo hawk-15, which is all right, but it is just impossible to break 1 hour of stringing time because it is a drop weight tensioner with no ratchet. Instead of going to eagnas.com, I went to eagnas.com/lilylee (which is the original manufacturer in Taiwan). They posted the machine + tools + string to me and quoted me a price for the machine, which was $20 US less than the American branch, Maxline @ eagnas.com. This is probably because they don’t have to ship it to America and back to Australia so it saves on postage.

[font=&quot]You can ask Jason for a quote at eagnas@ms18.hinet.net
    good luck!!
    [/font]