Tony Gunawan Loses to United States Howard Bach/Ke

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by badmittenguru, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Did I hear right -- Gunawan played with some Bob Malaythong dude, and lost to Bach/Han?

It was supposedly an exhibition match after the United States Adult Nationals -- did this really happen?

2. Howard Bach

Howard Bach Guest

Re: Tony Gunawan Loses to United States Howard Bac

That is true
    Tony is a good player...but he is over rated
    The players of the United States are tactically superior and our best players don't always participate in international tournaments.
    To be honest we were only toying with Tony, we were running him around like a chinese peking duck or an indonesian dish if u prefer ... and Tony was trying 2 power through his soft weak smashes, but nevermind
    He shouldn't have come here. The poor boy

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Why does this smell like the IBF forum?

;)

4. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO

Because, the impersonator of Howard Bach in this forum makes it seem like it was a big spectacle. I was there right in front of the whole thing watching. It's not that Tony and Bob lost. It was rigged by the powers to be in US to put up a good show and to show the audience on how much Kevin and Howard are improving in their game.

5. Joseph

Joseph Guest

When was this on tv? I guess the US team REALLY needs to convince people that they ARE good perhaps to get some sponsors?

what a shame...for the sport...

6. Arthur

Arthur Guest

I would have to agree with smashguru, since the USOC rep ( the guy that gives funding for Kevin and Howard was present). I also saw Kevin talk to Tony before the match, it seemed that Kevin had forgotten the script you know like in WWF :)

At the same time I think that it goes to show that in doubles your partner does matter. I know Bob is quite good, but it seemed as though Kevin and Howard were picking on him. I would have to say that they smashed at him 80% of the time.

7. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager

Well, if they were picking on Bob Malaythong and not giving Tony Gunawan many shots, that explains the win. There really is no need to bring in a conspiracy theory and make this forum sound like an episode of the X-Files :) Anyway, a USOC rep isn't about to say "Wow! They beat Tony. I'd better go right back to my office and write a really big check!" Not on the strength of one exhibition match anyway.
    I like your point about the importance of doubles partners, though. Guys I have partnered can give many examples of how they were not able to overcome the disadvantage :p

8. balut

balut Guest

I would have to agree with smashguru here. Given the way the
    USAB does things, I won't be surprised if that match turned out to be rigged.
    I did notice that Tony clearly wasn't giving 100%.

9. Re: Tony Gunawan Loses to United States Howard Bac

I could believe that it was rigged, or at least to manufacture excitement in front of the USOC representative -- I distictly remember Kevin Han missing or messing up a shot, then turning away from the crowd, crouching down and putting his hands on his head as if he were totally freaking out by the mistake. THEN, I see a Howard smirk.

Oh well, it was fun to watch at least. The way I see it is, if it were rigged I could understand why.

10. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO

Thanks for all your support. My conversation with Tony after was really good, he told me that the "powers to be" wants a nice show. So, he and the guys had a little chit chat before the match.

11. Re: Tony Gunawan Loses to United States Howard Bac

oh gosh, what if the USOC representative found out!

12. Don

Don Regular Member

Well think of it this way, it was an exihibition match. There was nothing here at stake besides egoes, but fortunately, these guys were professional enough to put their egoes aside and play an entertaining game. It didn't matter who won or who loss, nor if the match was rigged. All that mattered was the entertainment factor and that's what these players provided.

13. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Smells like the IBF forum in this thread

There's a distinct odor of male bovine dung in this thread and not surprisingly, we're seeing several posters whose names have never popped up here before (but likely wandered over from the IBF forum after they cracked down on the crackpots). The report on who won or lost is probably the only accurate statement on this thread.

To the little teenager(s) posting here under different pseudonyms, please go play some actual badminton, get a date, read a book, watch TV, etc... rather than goof around here on this forum.

14. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg

hey mashall, thanx for the first laugher on a rotten day. :)

15. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Re: Smells like the IBF forum in this thread

Hear!

It was bound to spill over here eventually though...

(Kwun, this is were you get your guns ready, btw)

16. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Allow me to illustrate

Just as an illustration to why BC rules over the IBF forum:

A guy called Matthew Ross recently asked a question about singles/doubles drills both here and at the IBF forum.

Here, he got admittedly few but relevant answers.

At the IBF forum, he only got answers like:

"I can teach you, come play with me in BAM, come to my house in Malaysia. Hope you come soon."

and

"Drills? Use Bosch or Makita and you will be alright"

This is why it's important to fight these tendencies here... before it's too late.

17. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Tony Gunawan is NOT overated

I'm very unhappy by the fact that you said that Tony Gunawan is over-rated. He is not. He is the BEST doubles player. If you think that they are better than Tony Gunawan, then go and ask them to join a tournament and go fight with Kim Dong Moon / Ha Tae Kwon or Lee Dong Soo / Yoo Yung Sung. They might not get even a point. After so many times of watching badminton matches, I feel that Tony Gunawan is the only player who is smart and technically very good, and he is the only player who can defeat all other good players and of course, poor players. He has his very own way of defeating all players, especially good players. Can the good US players you say win the players I have mentioned?

The US players are toying with Tony Gunawan? Hahaha, you're so humourous. You know what I feel about you, you're just like kids. The first time when I play with one of my 'friend' who like bragging, I gave him a 14-0 lead, because I know what my ability is and I don't want him to feel bad. Only after then, I started to play well and win the match 17-14 with just one serve. But, to my suprise, he went shouting around, bragging to everybody else that "I managed to get 14 points from the school's best player and he almost lost! He is only that good and if I tried more, he'll surely lose!!". Know what, you're just like him. The next time I played him, I was so angry with him that I don't even give him a chance and I won him without a further thought :15-0.

Tony Gunawan has weak smashes? Hahaha, you must be a very low quality badminton player. Didn't you know that there are many types of smashes : power smashes, cut smashes and also drop shots? You might mistaken his smashes with drop shots!!! Tony Gunawan is a smart player and he doesn't use his power foolishly, like some other players do.

You already said that it was an EXHIBITION match, right? He must have been instructed by some power guy that he must let the US players win. Tony Gunawan is also a friendly player, he emphasizes more on friendship then other things. He don't want the US crowd to feel disappointed. Last time, I remembered that Manchester United played a friendly match with Malaysia's national team at Malaysia, and they won 5-0. Did you ever think about that, if they played the way they usually play, would they just win by 5-0? NO! They'll probably win by 10-0 or 18-0.

So, Howard, think twice before criticizing other players, especially the players who is popular and liked by everybody. What you had said just showed how childish you are. Being a badminton player, you must always give respect to everyone. This is the first time I ever said something rude in this forum, because you said my badminton idol, Tony Gunawan is a Peking Duck, fooled by US players. Hope that you won't do that again. And, once again, Tony Gunawan is the best player in the world! Thanks.

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Re: Tony Gunawan is NOT overated

Ali, while I agree with you that Tony Gunawan is (possibly alongside Kim) the greatest doubles player today, I am afraid this was exactly the kind of reaction that "Howard Bach" was trying to provoke. My advice is that you don't waste any more energy on him...

:)

19. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: Tony Gunawan is NOT overated

Olli, I'll agree with you on that one. I myself can verify the accuracy of Marshall's observations on weaker partners by looking at my own, similar experiences.

Something worse than knowing your lesser skills were responsible for you and your partner to lose a match, is to have a partner unjustifiably think the loss was entirely your fault. I played in one match in a team tournament with a partner who, on a daily basis, is quite a bit stronger player than I am and played better in this particular match. We lost 15-2, 15-1 to a very much stronger pair of players and my partner gives me this kind of disgusted, disdainful look after the match, clearly thinking the blame for the butt kicking we suffered rested solely on my shoulders. Hello! He received half the other teams' serves and was responsible for half of our few serves, too - it wasn't just me losing every point. It should be clear that when the match is that lopsided, neither partner on the losing team was playing brilliantly. While I made more mistakes, the other team wasn't picking on me exclusively and were scoring at will on him also.

20. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg
    Fung Permadi as double partner

Some years ago my club managed to engage Fung Permadi and Indra Wijaya for playing a few games in our league (our coach at that time was a good friend of Ardy Wiranata, Heryanto Arbi, Fung and all those indo players). To my shame I have to admit, that we were (and still are) only playing in the 4th highest league in germany. But even on this low level (for Fung it must have been more boring than playing with marbles) our oponents were able to defeat a double consisting of Fung and one of our guys just by only playing with him. If Fung hadn't been too polite to tell him, just to make his serves and keep off the court the rest of the time, Fung could have won this match 15:0, 15:0 by his own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.