Kim DM on Jan 16 in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by economet, Jan 13, 2006.

1. economet

economet Regular Member

To All The Fans in Vancouver!

Kim Dongmoon will arrive on Monday, 16th Jan in Vancouver.
    Flight Number: KE 071 (Korean Air from Seoul, Incheon, to Vancouver)
    Scheduled Arrival: 19:15
    Scheduled Departure: 12:00
    (Arrival and Departure on the same day due to the time-lag)

So every Badminton Fan who wanted to meet him on arrival can be there on Monday noon.
    Maybe you will be able to talk to Kim DM and offer yourself to give him conversation in English.

2. TTT

TTT Regular Member

So we have to be there at Noon? I thought the scheduled arrival is 19:15?

This is great news! Do you know whereabouts he'll be staying and potentially playing? Time to set up a KDM stalking crew!! haha...j/k :D

3. economet

economet Regular Member

Sorry!

To All The Fans in Vancouver!

Correction! Arrival is 12:00, not 19:15.

Kim Dongmoon will arrive on Monday, 16th Jan in Vancouver.
    Flight Number: KE 071 (Korean Air from Seoul, Incheon, to Vancouver)
    Scheduled Departure: 19:15
    Scheduled Arrival: 12:00
    (Arrival and Departure on the same day due to the time-lag)

So every Badminton Fan who wanted to meet him on arrival can be there on Monday noon.
    Maybe you will be able to talk to Kim DM and offer yourself to give him conversation in English.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The 12:00 PM arrival is from www.koreanair.com Originally, someone thought he was to arrive on the 6th but there was no confirmation from the Korean side.

5. Djiban

Djiban Regular Member

badminton addict aka baddict
    why is he going to van?

6. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

honeymoon maybe?

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
  8. nakiokevo

nakiokevo Regular Member

Great..~ Thx for the notice~... I will try to meet him and perhapes get a picture or autograph and post it online~

9. event

event Regular Member

So, economet came through with the needed info. Did anyone get out to the airport to greet Kim? Anybody succeed in asking him where he's headed and whether he intends to coach?

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Unfortunately, no one in our group, including myself, had the opportunity to meet KDM when he arrived. Currently, we have no idea where he is or how we can contact him.

11. event

event Regular Member

Kim evidently to stay in Vancouver!

Well, I'm going to jump the gun here and suggest that Badminton Canada dropped the ball on getting Kim to coach. This article in the Vancouver Chosun Ilbo says that Kim has already found a homestay family in the Renfrew area(?) of Vancouver and is planning to enroll in a language school in downtown Vancouver. It says that he hopes to study English intensively for a year and then do post-graduate work at UBC or in the U.S. This is all after mentioning that he sent out a "love call" to numerous countries looking for offers regarding coaching as well as study. So Canada only worked for the English and we have nothing to offer in the way of coaching opportunities? I find that rather frustrating. Oh well, I get my coaching in Korea anyway and perhaps there is a way for those of you in Vancouver to get some pointers from the master. It says that a local tour company, Hana Korea Tours along with a exchange student agency, have sponsored a local badminton club where Korean exchange students and Korean-Canadians(yes, this is specified in the article) can play with and learn from Kim. The contact number is 604-879-8250. I hope they would let those of us from other backgrounds join in.
    Kim says he is still a member of the Samsung Electromechanics team and will there for need to return to Korea twice this year for tournaments so I might get a chance to see him in action again. You never know. If you're lucky, he might even slum it at the starless Canadian Open like Ra Kyung-min did last year.
    The article sounds pretty trustworthy despite the rather absurd error of identifying 19-year-old Yoo Yeon Seong as Kim's doubles partner at Athens and the World Championships (Yoo was 13 when Kim&Ha won in '99).

#11 event, Feb 2, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Thank you Event for the update :)!

I think VRC should hire KDM :D :D :D - our club doesn't have the money :crying:.

#12 Pete LSD, Feb 2, 2006
  13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's pretty cool to have KDM staying in Vancouver. Unfortunately, the Canadian coaching system is pretty territorial regionally. He will encounter the same obstacles his compatriot experienced when she first came here. Even having KDM invited to play at VRC will raise a red flag with the club's head coach. All I can say is best of luck with him.

#13 cappy75, Feb 2, 2006
  14. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    So how easy is it to become Korean-Canadian anyway?

-dave

15. event

event Regular Member

Well, that is what the article said but considering that the news was only published in Korean, perhaps the writer was writing to his target audience. If a parallel article in English had been written, it might have sounded more welcoming. Also, maybe only members of the Vancouver Korean community showed up at the airport so the people who sponsored the club might have misread that as a lack of widespread interest in Kim's Canadian sojourn. Pure conjecture. It is hard to imagine that you might be stopped at the door.

16. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Thanks event. Given the political nature of badminton participants (sorry for the blanket statement), the atmosphere that the article paints would not be far from accurate. When the female Korean ex-national came to Vancouver, I did not expect resistance from local coaches to her lending her services here.

There isn't a "lets-share" attitude prevalent here in Vancouver (yes, yes, blanket statement again).

Just my opinion, and I don't discount that it could be or is wrong.

-dave

17. event

event Regular Member

I see. Unfortunate. Well, according to chobo, this club seems to have sprung up around the fact that Kim is in town. If that's what it takes to produce a manifestation of the latent badminton interest among those in the Vancouver Korean community, then that sounds like a good thing. If there is no room in the existing clubs for a new coach but there is room for a new club with a new coach, then the opportunities to play and learn should be. Perhaps the sponsors of the new club saw this as the best way to avoid stepping on the toes of the local established coaches. Probably a smart move considering the history you mention. Still, that is no indication that people who aren't specifically invited by an article written in a language that none of them read would necessarily feel unwelcome at the new club. I just hope the impact of the new club is as positive as it sounds to me.

18. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

Incidentally, Lee's Badminton in Markham has this posting on their website.
    Career

Title: Badminton Professional Coach

Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full Time
    Salary: $2,600.00 to $3,500.00 Monthly, 8 Hours per week, Bonus and other benefit
    Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible

Skill Requirements:
    Education: high school or Completion of college
    Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not applicable
    Experience: 3 - 5 years
    Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English
    Sports Concentration: Badminton
    Work Setting: Professional sports organization, International sports organization, National sports association
    Specific Skills: Plan, develop and implement training and practice sessions, Develop, plan and co-ordinate competitive schedules and programs, Motivate and prepare athletes or teams for competitive events or games, Participate in coaching clinic instruction, Analyze and evaluate athletes' or team's performance, Observe and evaluate prospective athletes' skills and performance
    Other: Applicants are required to have international or national competition experience for more than 5 years. or under national team training for number of years or equivalent.

19. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

LOL, good find. But unfortunately, KDM is not qualified as they are required good English skill. :D

j/k, please forward him the message and ask him to come to Toronto!!!! I can bring him to Korean BBQ!!! :D