Need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Want2Improve, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Want2Improve

Want2Improve Regular Member

I started to play Badminton again about 6 months ago. I am beginner although I can play a little so I am not completely useless :)

However I have used the same racket I purchased about 5 years ago (Yonex Isometric 95vf, 14-18, 3U). I think my grip and technique was not correct before but recently I have started to use more of my arm using the supanation/pronation stuff most people talk about. But I can still never find the sweet spot on the racket and baseline to baseline clears are sometimes difficult to acheive. I have also not heard anything good about this racket so I was thinking whether a new racket would help me to improve my game, although reading all the forums, that would indicate a NO.

If I was to get the racket re-strung would that help? I am just thinking the string tension maybe be too low after 5 years or so and I may benefit from a new racket/ or new strings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Want2Improve

maybe I am asking the same question as every other begineer

So Just a simple one then.

Would I benefit from a new string/new racket or should just concentrate on my technique considering the racket I have now.

Thanks

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

getting it restrung definatly helps. btu don't jump to 25x28 at once! try out ,say, 19x21....

still, ask a knowlegdable person if your technique is correct, and practise practise practise....

4. vcheewei

vcheewei Regular Member

Yes of course, with a good string at the right tension, u definitely able to hit further with the same strength. Of course, getting the right tension to suits u isn't an easy task. You have to try out each tension before knowing what suits u. Certainly, u can try ur friend's racket to see what string suits u with what tension. Also, do make sure that string does lose their tension quickly. So if ur friend strung it at 24lbs and the time u try it out will definitely be lesser than 24lbs.

5. Want2Improve

Many thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know whether re-stringing would help. I would probably go for 19lbs for now but that would cost me about £12-14 and thats half of what I paid for the racket. I was wondering if I can get a better racket for £30-£35 and with improving my technique that would help me improve my game. As I said I am nit completely useless its just I have never played with another decent racket so I didn't know whether my racket/string tension needed changing or a better racket one that has little more power would help. I can ket Karakal rackets for about £35. Are they any good?

many thanks again!

6. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i was able to get a new mp28 for around £30 it is a very nice racket and would definetly suit your needs:)

7. Want2Improve

Where did you get that from?

Seems a good price as most I have seen are over £40!

8. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i was in my local shopping centre and hargreaves sports was selling it for £30. i think if you search around then you may find it or also many retailers offer a price match. i will have a look for some reasonable prices for you

9. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member