User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default no doketr until thuesday: non-medical-hamstring question

    ok, I lied, it might be medical...

    I injured the upper-tendon of my hamstring(friday). I can barely walk...sitting hurts...
    should I, or should I not put on spiroflor (menthol-smelling, muscle-warming substance)?
    the tube says warm and comfy on tired and overlaoded muscles, stiff cold muscles and "jammed"muscles...

    my hamstring injury is not surgery-serious, but might put me out of action some time...so I really don't want to aggravate it...

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    anybody? I just need a yes or no....
    google isn't helping...

    should one smear on spiroflor/midalgam (a substance mostly used for sore muscles) and "heat up the muscle/tendon" on an injured tendon?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bell tower
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you'd just injured it and you've no access to a medical professional for a few days, I'd suggest RICE: Rest, Ice, Compress (with ice) and Elevate (the injured part). Search for "injury" and "RICE" on Google and you'll get quite a few useful info.

    I'd also suggest that at the first chance you get go to a medical pro. or at least a physical trainer who knows her/his business for a check-up. Especially if there's still signifant swelling, deformity or severely limited movement after a few days.

    FWIW, HTH.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thanks!

    I found this

    What about heat?

    Because there is controversy about applying heat, I've looked at several sources on the web for information on when to use heat and when to use cold. Heat promotes healing because it promotes blood flow. It also relaxes muscles and eases pain. The disadvantage of heat is that it can increase swelling. That's why cold is recommended right after an injury. Heat is recommended for later when swelling is gone. Heat can be useful after about 48 hours.


    and elevation might be a problem....It;s right below my hip. (upper hamstring tendon..)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bell tower
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    thanks!

    I found this

    What about heat?

    Because there is controversy about applying heat, I've looked at several sources on the web for information on when to use heat and when to use cold. Heat promotes healing because it promotes blood flow. It also relaxes muscles and eases pain. The disadvantage of heat is that it can increase swelling. That's why cold is recommended right after an injury. Heat is recommended for later when swelling is gone. Heat can be useful after about 48 hours.


    and elevation might be a problem....It;s right below my hip. (upper hamstring tendon..)
    IIRC, what a couple of trainers told me is to apply cold immediately after an injury, especially if there's swelling, to get it down. Basically, use RICE. Then, after there's no swelling, apply warm/heat for short periods (e.g., 20--30 minutes) to promote healing, etc. But, all that only works if there's no ligament damage. If there's any, you may have to have more invasive procedures done to fix that first. That's why I suggested consulting a medical pro.

    As far as elevating it, just try not to walk around too much. Sit with your feet up, lie down, what have you.

    HTH

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    IIRC, what a couple of trainers told me is to apply cold immediately after an injury, especially if there's swelling, to get it down. Basically, use RICE. Then, after there's no swelling, apply warm/heat for short periods (e.g., 20--30 minutes) to promote healing, etc. But, all that only works if there's no ligament damage. If there's any, you may have to have more invasive procedures done to fix that first. That's why I suggested consulting a medical pro.

    As far as elevating it, just try not to walk around too much. Sit with your feet up, lie down, what have you.

    HTH
    thanks
    I feel swelling has stopped My right side isn't thicker than the left, but it's not gone (can't move my leg threw full cycle)shoudl I be use heat?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    aujerbajan
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been told to use heat on tired and achy muscles. If the muscle is injured though use cold, heat will just further inflamation. Also be sure to take IB prufen as it speeds recovery time by reducing swelling.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    I've been told to use heat on tired and achy muscles. If the muscle is injured though use cold, heat will just further inflamation. Also be sure to take IB prufen as it speeds recovery time by reducing swelling.
    What about heat?

    Because there is controversy about applying heat, I've looked at several sources on the web for information on when to use heat and when to use cold. Heat promotes healing because it promotes blood flow. It also relaxes muscles and eases pain. The disadvantage of heat is that it can increase swelling. That's why cold is recommended right after an injury. Heat is recommended for later when swelling is gone. Heat can be useful after about 48 hours.


    is what i foudn on google....And the warm-pack i palced on it, and later my warmth-cream I found it relieves pain A LOT....cold is useless when teh swelling is gone..

Similar Threads

  1. knee or hamstring problem
    By hanser in forum Injuries
    Replies: 8
    : 09-29-2010, 09:39 PM
  2. Using medical tape?
    By vctrku in forum Injuries
    Replies: 14
    : 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM
  3. pulled hamstring?
    By diablomega116 in forum Injuries
    Replies: 1
    : 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
  4. Medical Advice
    By MikeD in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 5
    : 09-20-2006, 05:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •