no doketr until thuesday: non-medical-hamstring question

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by jerby, Jan 14, 2006.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

ok, I lied, it might be medical...:D

I injured the upper-tendon of my hamstring(friday). I can barely walk...sitting hurts...
    should I, or should I not put on spiroflor (menthol-smelling, muscle-warming substance)?
    the tube says warm and comfy on tired and overlaoded muscles, stiff cold muscles and "jammed"muscles...

my hamstring injury is not surgery-serious, but might put me out of action some time...so I really don't want to aggravate it...

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

anybody? I just need a yes or no....
    google isn't helping...

should one smear on spiroflor/midalgam (a substance mostly used for sore muscles) and "heat up the muscle/tendon" on an injured tendon?

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

If you'd just injured it and you've no access to a medical professional for a few days, I'd suggest RICE: Rest, Ice, Compress (with ice) and Elevate (the injured part). Search for "injury" and "RICE" on Google and you'll get quite a few useful info.

I'd also suggest that at the first chance you get go to a medical pro. or at least a physical trainer who knows her/his business for a check-up. Especially if there's still signifant swelling, deformity or severely limited movement after a few days.

FWIW, HTH.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

thanks!

I found this

What about heat?

Because there is controversy about applying heat, I've looked at several sources on the web for information on when to use heat and when to use cold. Heat promotes healing because it promotes blood flow. It also relaxes muscles and eases pain. The disadvantage of heat is that it can increase swelling. That's why cold is recommended right after an injury. Heat is recommended for later when swelling is gone. Heat can be useful after about 48 hours.

and elevation might be a problem....It;s right below my hip. (upper hamstring tendon..)

5. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

IIRC, what a couple of trainers told me is to apply cold immediately after an injury, especially if there's swelling, to get it down. Basically, use RICE. Then, after there's no swelling, apply warm/heat for short periods (e.g., 20--30 minutes) to promote healing, etc. But, all that only works if there's no ligament damage. If there's any, you may have to have more invasive procedures done to fix that first. That's why I suggested consulting a medical pro.

As far as elevating it, just try not to walk around too much. Sit with your feet up, lie down, what have you.

HTH

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

thanks
    I feel swelling has stopped My right side isn't thicker than the left, but it's not gone (can't move my leg threw full cycle)shoudl I be use heat?

7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I've been told to use heat on tired and achy muscles. If the muscle is injured though use cold, heat will just further inflamation. Also be sure to take IB prufen as it speeds recovery time by reducing swelling.

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

What about heat?

Because there is controversy about applying heat, I've looked at several sources on the web for information on when to use heat and when to use cold. Heat promotes healing because it promotes blood flow. It also relaxes muscles and eases pain. The disadvantage of heat is that it can increase swelling. That's why cold is recommended right after an injury. Heat is recommended for later when swelling is gone. Heat can be useful after about 48 hours.

is what i foudn on google....And the warm-pack i palced on it, and later my warmth-cream I found it relieves pain A LOT....cold is useless when teh swelling is gone..