Is this Normal?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TheRisingX, Jan 14, 2006.

1. TheRisingX

TheRisingX Regular Member

sometimes, i find that i return shots to my backhand side using sort of a ... "forehand motion", where my wrist is still flicking in the same direction as a typical forehand shot. this is especially true when i find i dont have to time to change grips to execute a proper backhand. This occurs in front and middle court cross court shots most of the time. The problem does not happen when i am backhanding in the backcourt.

I want to know if this is common or if its a problem that needs to be addressed. :rolleyes:

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    could u set up a situation, so we can better understand?

3. TheRisingX

<-------- |hand| --------->

we all know that the wrist is moved in two different directions opposite of each other depending on a forehand or a backhand shot. What im saying is that sometimes i find myself flicking my wrist in the direction of a "forehand" shot, im wondering if this is normal.

4. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

HAHA i know this :) i have a friend that does this all the time. well u SHOULDNT do it. just prepare with a backhand grip, cuz it works for ur forehand also. u shouldnt be caught without enuf time to switch grips :)

5. TheRisingX

guess i should work on it then... changing grips faster :rolleyes: since it only happens when im caught off guard in the front or the middle..:p

6. bad_aim

bad_aim Regular Member

My friends tell me I do this all the time but I don't even notice at all. It happens when you don't switch grip fast enough, so its pretty normal to do, just don't do it all the time and you will be fine.