slow day, fast day?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Apr 9, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how is your weekly badminton schedule like? do you take a slow day?

when people train for cycling, they train almost every day of the week, but they don't go all out everyday, they have fast days, and then they have slow days, and when they go slow, they go really slow, like as slow as a sunday casual rider kind of pace. the slow day allow them to recover the muscle stress and fatique from the hard training days.

badminton isn't too different, imho. while the complexity of the game is much higher (apologies to the fellow biker out there), i believe if you play more than a couple of times a week, it is advisable to take a slow day or two.

the slow day not only let you recover from fatique, it also allows you time to actually think. i find that if i play hard games all the time, i am not focusing on my technique, esp new technique that i have learned, but instead, i just keep playing like i was since winning/losing is at stake.

my weekly badminton schedule is like this. i start by playing a hard day on sundays in an open gym, play as many games as i can. and then on tuesdays, i go to a local gym class and mix match with some intermediate players. then i get the chance to play with my gf, as well as try focusing on court movement and strokes. then on thursdays, i train with a coach and learn/correct my play.

i find this schedule to be more balanced than an "all out everyday" schedule. i also find that i play more consistently that way.

2. Don

Don Regular Member

Hitting the wall everyday isn't a good thing. You can easily burn yourself out. I prefer alternatingf days of the week to hit the wall then relax the following day. It really does give you time to think and rationalize your game play. I did however notice that when I trained hard in a string of days, I would become more or less a robot because of fatigue and my game would be a killing game where as the finess would be inexistent.

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Yeah, you're right to mix it up. You can't go hard everyday.

You can also aid your recovery by doing a slow pace 20 minute jog, swim or cycle the next day. It acts a both a warm down and a warm up for the next day.

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

True! It is like Buring Ur self out doing 16hrs a day for 3 months in work! Badminton is one sport which needs a lot of other supplementary things that we have to do. It is so much or Body balance, mind and health!

It is a fallout of a Martial art! If we need to excel in it, then we need to have a schedule that deals with all the faces of badminton.On court games are just performances but what actually matters is the practise and the worship and the meditation! I am sure that all of u woudl have seen GOPI involved in deep meditation B4 his All england final match and also B4 all his matches!

When the chinese monks(Shaolin temple) where asked abt their background to their martail art they explained in detail that The religion teaches them to overcome matter through Mental strength! It is simply sad to know that we have lost all of those things!

What is more sad is that, these things went to china from India and very very very few Indians even knwo abt all this. They ape the Western world so much that they have not even realied the kind of wealth that they have lost! I praise every chinese who has stuck to the task of maintaing the tradition and when i am rich enough in life i hope to rebuild the youth of india by arranging to part knowledge abt the traditions and practises! This is just one of my small dreams!

I am sorry for abusing the forum by talking Irrelevat stuff but then when i started out abt body balance and meditation and then I remembered what Gopi was saying abt it....

Simeon likes this.
  5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    That's an interesting post. And I agree, one part of badminton is the spiritual side. Many of the good badminton players are masters of themselves and are very humble. Badminton requires a great deal of mental strength and there are many players who meditate before a game to gain focus.