Only 3 days...What to do?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheFortitude, Jan 16, 2006.

1. TheFortitude

TheFortitude New Member

Oh boy, my first post. :)
    At my school, a new badminton club is starting. I've always liked badminton and I've played for several years, and I intend on joining. This Friday (the 20th) they're having a tournament to decide who will become vice president and secretary of the club (winner will become VP, runner up will become secretary).
    But recently I've been pretty sick and out of shape. I know that if I wasn't been sick, I could easily win this tournament. But since I am, things are gonna be a little harder...
    So now I have 3 days. Hopefully I'll get better before then, but what should I do these few days to help my body get back on track?

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Run a mile each day, and practice all your strokes, so u can remember. this is just a mild reconditioning. u dont wan't to do anything extreme, because your body will not react kindly...

3. qqsu_azure

qqsu_azure Regular Member

Software Developer
    I wonder whether it's better for club. VP and secretary should have more skills to management than playing badminton. Although a better player has more passions to join the game. :rolleyes:
    I won't suggest you have a hard training in these 3 days. You should have a good rest to recover your body. Since you think it's easy to win the game when you're fine, I think it's better to get rid of the sick. :D

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Exactly.

The "leading horses" should be selected based on leadership and communication skills. And most important, willing to contribute time and effort for the group and sport. All these lead to the success of the team/club.

If just based on individual playing skills, then, you might see a fantastic player on court, and with a miserable personality in the meeting room. :(

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I don't think he intends to kill himself. If he's pretty sick at the moment, I don't think this would be considered 'mild conditioning.'

As for my advice, try buying votes. That's right. Politics is dirty, even at school level.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, no offense, if your intention is to serve the team and fellow members, you don't have to be the officers to contribute. It's a team, which needs everyone's support to go well.

If the intention is to show off, and later on "sending orders", then... :eek:

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Umm, i dont think this will kill him, even when he is sick, unless he has some serious illness thats preventing him from getting out of bed.

as the others said, management and leadership skills are way more important in these two positions.

oh yeah, drink alot of orange juice :)

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    another thing to consider - the positions you are looking for will take time to do properly. don't take on more than you can afford. time taken up in board meetings, at home preparing, mediating, etc cuts into your personal time for study, work or WORSE! - your badminton playing time.

having had the opportunity to serving as a director for a term, i was less than thrilled to have my game playing interrupted whenever a member had an issue, the extra time to discuss problems with various members, and sitting in seemingly never-ending bored meetings. having the tag, some members thought any where they may see me at the club meant they can park in front of me and have me listen to their problem right then and there!

so, just be careful of what you want... you just might get it!