top level opponents in Toronto...

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by kwun, Jan 23, 2006.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hi guys,

i have a friend who will be visiting Toronto next week. she is a top ranked WS player in the US and she is looking for a place to play some badminton while she is there. i wonder if any locals can tell me where she can find opponents of her caliber in Toronto? she will be there for 3 days during the week.

thanks!

2. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

3. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

lees badminton has some A level woman players, maybe she could call them for appointment. ;)

4. Froca

Froca Regular Member

student( must keep a high avg to play badminton an
    oh hoho!!!!!

lee's badminton of course;)

i have a feeling she might own everyone there:p

make sure to tell me when she's coming, i'll go watch:p

5. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Oo whats her name, the U18 (I think) Ontario champion person is quite good =D.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where does she play?

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I don't know which person you're talking about, but Joyce, the U19 National Champ and Ontario A Single Champ is better is she? And she is playing at Lees btw...

8. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Ahhh that might be her! She's fantastic =).

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    any of you play in Lee's? can you help my friend make a referral?

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I am sure Jennifer Lee of Lee's Badminton can organize something. She used to frequent BF. Kwun, please have your friend contact Jennifer.

11. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    All the badminton fans and players in Toronto and GTA region all come to BF :p Even if they don't post, they are still reading.

12. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Top female players

Hey Kwun,

Not sure if you remember me but we meet during the WC2005 and played baddie at the club and then had Thai lunch afterwards. Your friend's best bet would most likely be Mandarin or Lee's depending if she likes to play singles, doubles or mixed. The best singles players used to be at Lee's but most of them either no longer go to Lee's or have in University now and don't have much time to frequent the club to play. Mandarin has 3-4 strong ladies for doubles and mixed, but not at the national level but good enough for provincial level. If you let me know the dates your friend is coming, they could set up a "women's night" for matches. As for men, there probably a bit more stronger male at Mandarin then Lee's for now, since a few of the stronger coaches (male/female) no longer work at Lee's now. When is your friend coming? Is it too late to arrange for something?

13. taxing

taxing New Member

Hariawan at Lee's is the Men's champion in the Canadian Open ( thus preventing an all-Korean sweep at the tournament) in Novemeber, 2005 held in Montreal. Efendi at Lee's reached semi finals both in men's doubles and mixed doubles at the Toronto Open held in Jnauary, 2006. They are both still at Lees.

Should check out your facts first !

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wukenne, thanks for the info. i am afraid she already went to Toronto last month. she was there for only a couple of days. she went to play the PanAm Uber Cup qualifier right after she left Toronto and i think she won all her matches. :)

15. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

This is true, but Kwun was asking for female players so I assumed that he wanted females for her friend to play against. Besides, if you read my post carefully, you'd noticed that I already mentioned that Lee's coaches are stronger than Mandarin ones. The strong coaches that I was referring to that no longer work at Lee's are Troy and Nanyan. I'm a member at both clubs and am a regular OBA player on the circuit, and know all the coaches very well. Now why would you think that I didn't know my facts straight from my post?

#15 wukenne, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  16. Froca

Froca Regular Member

student( must keep a high avg to play badminton an
    wow that was soo long ago, kwun, you are still looking?

right now it's badmitnon season here so i assume most of them would be pretty busy;)

17. taxing

taxing New Member

The third last sentence certainly implied that Mandarin has stronger male players than at Lee's. That was what I was responding to. Please do not twist my words, and take things out of context.

18. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Re: Lees/Mandarin players/coaches

Originally Posted by wukenne
    Hey Kwun,

Not sure if you remember me but we meet during the WC2005 and played baddie at the club and then had Thai lunch afterwards. Your friend's best bet would most likely be Mandarin or Lee's depending if she likes to play singles, doubles or mixed. The best singles players used to be at Lee's but most of them either no longer go to Lee's or have in University now and don't have much time to frequent the club to play. Mandarin has 3-4 strong ladies for doubles and mixed, but not at the national level but good enough for provincial level. If you let me know the dates your friend is coming, they could set up a "women's night" for matches. As for men, there probably a bit more stronger male at Mandarin then Lee's for now, since a few of the stronger coaches (male/female) no longer work at Lee's now. When is your friend coming? Is it too late to arrange for something?

If u read my initial post, Kwun was looking for strong ladies for his friend to play with. Thus, my reponse would to reply to that, in terms of strong females players (thus my comment above stating "women's night). The strong lady singles player that I was initially thinking of was Meiliwaiti (or however you actually spell it), the two Ko's sisters (whom are no longer there either) and Huang in my initial post. As for my 3rd last sentence, I guess I should have stated it clearly and that aside from Hariawan, Charles and Effendi, there are definitely more (quantity) of higher level players in terms of both coaches (Ontario A & Toronto Open champions) and players (quite a few Ont A/B champions) at Mandarin.