User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to the point that he (i.e., Lin Dan) ought to be passed the "teaching" period, is this a fairly new development for him? Because the picture in the banner shows him gripping his racquet in the middle of the grip with the grip itself wrapped normally and not in an abbreviated fashion. I don't know how recent that particular picture is, but the point is, may be he's still in a getting-used-to-a-new-habit phase after a lifetime of gripping his racquet in the middle.

I do think, however, that it could've been done in a prettier manner. May be Yonex can customise the handle for him? I mean, think of the promotional and marketing value. I don't think it's good for Yonex for their racquets to be seen butchered up like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    Going back to the point that he (i.e., Lin Dan) ought to be passed the "teaching" period, is this a fairly new development for him? Because the picture in the banner shows him gripping his racquet in the middle of the grip with the grip itself wrapped normally and not in an abbreviated fashion. I don't know how recent that particular picture is, but the point is, may be he's still in a getting-used-to-a-new-habit phase after a lifetime of gripping his racquet in the middle.

I do think, however, that it could've been done in a prettier manner. May be Yonex can customise the handle for him? I mean, think of the promotional and marketing value. I don't think it's good for Yonex for their racquets to be seen butchered up like that.
    the banner photo depicts him using the mp99, so that one in particular is quite a bit older... probably before he recieved the recommendation to change his gripping habits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the reasons above, wouldn't it still be somewhat necessary for the player to utilize the entire portion of the grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GunBlade008
    Given the reasons above, wouldn't it still be somewhat necessary for the player to utilize the entire portion of the grip?
    these guys are pro's and try to gain control whilst still having the best possible power.

as i and others have said before i thought that this was only done in training to teach them to gain this extra control. i never new that he would continue using it during a match.
    i suppose if he can use it to the same performance, then theres no point wasting grip (even though all of them get it free )

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GunBlade008
    In doubles, yes. But in singles, you really don't need the upper part of the grip because you are rarely in front of the net driving/attacking to win points. Plus you have more time to set-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    In doubles, yes. But in singles, you really don't need the upper part of the grip because you are rarely in front of the net driving/attacking to win points. Plus you have more time to set-up.
    I think you guys are forgetting a key thing... I doubt Lin Dan really needs extra power... but he's not an exceptionally tall guy... neither is Taufik.

Think about why pros do the jump smash... when your past the *gawk* factor... the jump smash isn't more powerful... just gives a better angle. Gripping lower will give you a better angle because you can contact the shuttle an inch higher than usual. Also on the defensive, that one inch of reach can do wonders at the pro level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    This is taufiks grip method. Hmmm Almost similar with Lin Dan's
    wat's the weight of taufik's racquet??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froca
    i believe its 4U

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froca
    The racket is 3UG4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before Ants posted I was gonna say Taufik grips his racquet pretty low. Maybe when Lin Dan and Taufik played together during MVP cup? they exchanged ideas In all shots played I see Taufik grips his racquet at the end, whereas Lin Dan changed relatively recently. Notice Lin Dan plays some backhands with a forehand grip, it gets the job done, but the range is not as big as some other players. I can only suggest because he plays so fast, he keeps his grip change to a minimum and play with one grip only.

The racket is 3UG4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early last year, my coach (after watching Lin Dan's match against Peter Gade in the AE04) said Lin Dan's only weakness is his grip. He holds it like doubles players, that's why he always dive to retrieve the shuttle especially his backhand side. Then we saw him change grip in WC05, my coach said it must be his coach's idea to wrap the grip like this. This will help him to improve his defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in 2005 WC, TH towel grip went higher up.http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26158
    Last edited by cooler; 12-17-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi ants, is that an actual Taufik's racket?
    The grip looked so much different than what I had in mind! I thought he wrap his racket with an extremely large base and all the way up to before the cone (no wood expose), then ductape over the head thats about a thumb breadth down..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    so does anybody want to guess why he chooses such a strange grip?
    I don't see much point in guessing when the answer is obvious.

Again, being the first to have the right answer, I'd like my prize racket to be a classic Ti-10 3U4 please.

The top of the handle was bared to reveal the edges. The amount bared was down to preference at the time, and maybe more or maybe less on other occasions. The bare wood could be tough on the hand, so occasionally a thin layer of tape was used to give the wood a smooth surface. Even though the tape protected the hand, the sharp edges of the wood were not obstructed. As there were no useful features in the area between the edges and the cone, that area could be left as it was and won't be used much.

For the people at the top of the world, they didn't need more power, nor increased reach, nor learn how to hold the racket lower down (if there was a newspaper story about this, it was a joke, and Mr highly coached panda bear should not have been so shockingly easy to be taken in). What the people at the top of the world need were infinitesimal control over their tools. Precision control was possible only when there was precise and unobscured feedback. This then was the purpose of baring those sharp edges - to facilitate minute directional control of the racket face by the use of the index finger and thumb. What they had achieved was precision engineering. Ugly ? Note a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cooldoob, how abotu this:

Note one: In old photo's (with his mp99) he grip his grip halfway
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/gall...o/1797/cat/530
    liek that

'suddenly'
    with his new grip, he grips it lower
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/gall...o/2364/cat/530
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/gall...o/2541/cat/530

even at the forecourt...he ony yplaces his fingers on the wood when he serves...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know sometimes when we play badminton we get distracted by other thoughts such as thinking up a stratergy, deciding where to place the shuttles so and so... that we neglected or become unaware where we are gripping the racket handle.. for me I certainly experienced that, sometimes I noticed my clear isn't as deep/far as I wanted it to be, and then I quickly glance @ my grip and saw it was just an inch higher than usual... Probably the pros did it that way is to totally prevent them from gripping too high up, maximising torque of the racket for power which is extremely important in singles.. be it forgetfulness or accidental slip, guess its best to totally eliminate the problem by wrapping it like that as a constant reminder...
    And I agree with people in saying maximising power, so my challenge to those who disagrees, try smashing while gripping as high up below the cone.. and compare to grip right to the base..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A possible reason for LD's strange grip of part wood/part grip is to have more feel and touch and also power. For delicate net shots which require very fine thumb and index finger control, bare wood gives you the best feel. LD knows that the net and Taufik are his nightmare, and perhaps he should go to the extreme to even this out with TH. Bare wood at the top also gives your thumb and index finger a better grip for backhand shots, especially drives, taps and pushes.
    The best answer will be from the horse's mouth. We have some members here who seem to be close to the players and perhaps they can ask LD the next time they see him.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast