Can't decide, Yonex AT800 OF or MP99?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by element-82, Jan 24, 2006.

1. element-82

element-82 Regular Member

Hi,
    my first post here, I have been trying to decide on buying either an ArmorTec 800 OF or an MP99. I am a smasher, 6'5", power is not a problem, except when I hit it out, of course. I use a MP88 4U and a MP77 2U now. I find the MP88 too head heavy, my back hand clears go out, and I find it too light for deep smashing. The 77 2U is almost perfect, but it is discontinued, and maybe a touch heavy on def. I have never played with an AT800, but I have read a lot here and that is why I ask.

What are people's preferences here between the two?

I might even buy both. I have been studying the ebay threads and am thinking about ordering from sumai03 and/or tum98. Both have good ratings here.

thanks,
    Pb

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    u should buy, AT800 offensive, because chances are likely that u will feel a similarity between the MP99 and the mp88/77, so u will be disappointed. if u are a smashing type, at800of is a good choice.

3. other

other Regular Member

Student
    at800 will be quite head heavy as well, also depends if u can get the 3u or 4u versions.

4. element-82

Maybe the MP99 will be similar to the 88/77. I was kind of hoping for that BTW. It is hard getting used to a completely different racquet. I expect the stiffness to be a bit hard to get used to.

The AT800 seems to be a very popular racquet. Maybe it is time for a change.
    thanks,
    Pb

5. element-82

I was thinking about the 3U/G3 AT800 OF. I guess the 4U is more head heavy, good point.
    thanks,
    Pb

6. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    since ou mind about stiffness, i think go with mp99

i had a at800de before and i think mp99 is more stiff, if you look at cooler's data, de/of has the same stiffness rating

depends on how strong you are i guess, mp99 got 2u or 3u to choose from, it should be enouh

7. element-82

MP99 is more stiff than the AT800s? That is good to know, thanks. I may end up buying both after all :) I just put a bid in on an MP99 from sumai03.

thanks,
    Pb

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    if u like the mp77 2u, maybe a mp99 2u would also be good. in my impression it is not at head heavy as the mp77? however, maybe a lighter mp99 3u would help reactions in defence as well? anyway the at800of has been called an extreme racquet while the mp99 is often known as an "all-round" racquet, along with the at800de.

9. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

AT800s have different stiffness.
    AT800-OF>MP99=AT700>AT800-DF
    I recommend AT700 for you.
    AT700 has a similar feeling of AT800-OF but a bit softer shaft.
    It can be widely used in both singles and doubles.
    Though the finish is terrible, its playability is good.

Sigh, the painting chipped very easily.
    Even when I tear down the old grip, the painting come off with the grip.

10. element-82

I don't find the mp77 head heavy, but the mp88 certainly is. I think with the heavier racquets 2U/3U the head heavy is not as extreme, no?

I like the weight of the 2U for smashing, but you pay the price on D. I hope a 3U will be a good comprimise. I can't wait for it to show up now. I have a tourny on the weekend, but I wouldn't try a new racquet there :)

Once more 3U AT800s become available (tum98 has none) I will consider it.

thanks,
    Pb

11. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Element, I'm like you who prefers the MP77 2U. I'm still using it and I love it. Defence is a bit slow but one can return a smash with a drive with this MP77 well.
    I've tried MP99 2U and it is not the same feel as the MP77. Stiffer IMHO. I also found the AT800 Def 3U and 4U very stiff, not as flexible as the MP77. So at the moment, I'm going to try a Yang Yang Sensation 900 and an AT800 Off 3U to see if they are similar or even close to the MP77.
    Sigh...I wish they would continue selling the MP77 :rolleyes:

12. element-82

Hi Xuser,
    I agree, I wish they still made the MP77, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one. Please keep us up to date on your yang yang S900 testing, sounds interesting.

thanks,
    Pb

13. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Sure. I should be receiving it anyday now. I'm also waiting for my AT800 Off 3U. Will let you know how I feel about these two racquets compared with the MP77 2U.

14. element-82

MP99 on the way

Well the MP99 is on the way, thanks for your comments. I will post pics and comments when I receive it.

thanks,
    Pb

15. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i would say ti-10 sounds really good for you, but since it is discontinued in many areas and may be difficult to come by, i cannot really recommend it for you. i would say go with at800off since you sound like you have enough power to flex the shaft and maximize the racquet's potential. i just hope you dont mind racquet chips, since the paint seems to chip very easily.

16. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I've tried the Ti10, but it doesn't play like the MP77 at all. I think this MP77 2U is one of a kind.

17. element-82

Hi,
    I thought the ti-10 was a bit stiff no? It is in the same boat as the 77. The AT800 OF/DE is on my wish list. I think the DE model has a similar feel to the 77. I was at the RA centre (ottawa) on the weekend and had a look. I haven't played with it, just held it and swung a few times without strings. I hate when recquets chip easily, you pay enough for them. That always seems to be a problem.

Pb

18. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Okay Element. I tried both the AT800 Off and Yang Yang Sensation 900 today. Here's my opinion.
    AT800: Very stiff and stable. Powerful. However, since I strung my MP77 2U at 26lbs, I had to string my AT800 Off at 21lbs because of its stiffness. I have tried playing the AT800Off at 26lbs with BG65, it is too stiff for me.
    Yang Yang Sensation 900: A wee bit shorter than the AT800OFF and I felt it was a bit lighter although both were at 3U. More flex on the Yang Yang. Not sure what the string was strung at but I think it was between 23 - 26lbs with Yang Yang string.
    My overall preference is still the MP77 2U. It just feels very good for me. I hope Yonex will reconsider bringing out this MP77 again.

19. element-82

thanks for the info xuser. That is very helpful. The AT800DE seemed a bit more flexible than the OF, when I looked at them in the shop. I wish I could have played with it. My first impression is that it had a similar feel to the MP77, for what it is worth. (swinging a requet with no strings is not the best test, granted).

thanks,
    Pb

20. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Element, I have both the AT800 off and Def 3U. Also tried the Ti10 long. These 3 I found are stiffer than the MP77. Perhaps their flex points are different than the MP77? This I cannot confirm but for sure, they don't feel at all the same to the MP77. If you can borrow or rent or steal (just kidding), try out the AT800 Off first. See if you can get one strung at lighter tension.