Return Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JJ, Apr 16, 2002.

1. JJ

JJ Guest

When returning a smash on my backhand side I seem to be able to return it high to the back of the court with little effort. On the forehand side I really struggle though to get any height/depth. What may I be doing wrong on the forehand side.

2. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

you are not necessarely doing anything wrong on the forehand side.

it is just an easier shot with the backhand.

just keep practising the forehand - and in a match situation prefer to use the backhand wherever possible.

3. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

THe backhand is much easier to take in front of you body. Also you do not have to adjust the angle of the racquet much to hit a backhand return. Practice receiving smashes and get a good idera of just how much of your defensive zone you can effectively cover with your backhand and use it when you can. Also work on your defensive position, racquet forward and pull it back as the opponent hits the smash. If you can pull the racquet back in a neutral way so that you are not committed to playing a forehand or backhand until the last moment your defence will be more effective. The best practice for this is hitting against a wall.

4. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Guest

A good tip is to return the shuttle early by relflex action and take note on the angle of your racquet head. If your racquet head is flat then obviously there won't be much lift. Also i notice alot of people try to power it back, just take it early and let your racquet strings do all the work ^_^ Oh yeah if your Right Handed stand with your right foot slightly in front for balance, it is more difficult to return the shuttle high when the shuttle is close to your body.

Hope this helps, get a friend to do some smashes at you and score to ten. Usually the Smasher wins but if he loses get him to buy you the drinks. hehehe............

5. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Guest

A good tip is to return the shuttle early by relflex action and take note on the angle of your racquet head. If your racquet head is flat then obviously there won't be much lift. Also i notice alot of people try to power it back, just take it early and let your racquet strings do all the work ^_^ Oh yeah if your Right Handed stand with your right foot slightly in front for balance, it is more difficult to return the shuttle high when the shuttle is close to your body.

Hope this helps, get a friend to do some smashes at you and score to ten. Usually the Smasher wins but if he loses get him to buy you the drinks. hehehe............

6. GOKOUBOY

GOKOUBOY Guest

if all fails... u might be holding the grip on the wrong position...