User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    yes. long. i sat here and spend my early morning reading it coz it is so interesting!

he played in the Thomas Cup for Malaya (Malaysia?).

he as a doctor also treated this badminton player who worked in Singapore who used to play for China and had to shorten his career due to pneumonia (can you guess who? ). and also confirms what viver said about how this player never fully recovered from it.
    Wow, really long article Kwun. Did not finish it but so far a very good read, thanks for putting the link here.

About the referenced player, it was too bad as this was, according to the coaches the main reason for his inconsistent results in tournaments. The coaches then did not even force him to go through all the daily training routines.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    which recent player(s) do u think resemble the play style of wong peng soon in your opinion
    None, perhaps the now retired Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen and the even older Finn Kobberro came close, but still not quite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Oon Chong Teik also wrote about Earland Kops visiting China and getting beaten very badly by the "Thing" and Hou. What we see in today's Chinese singles players is a carbon-copy of the "Thing" and Hou. So for those who have never seen the real "Thing" play, you can see his style of play today from Lin Dan to Chen Hong, etc. But players of Wong Peng Soon's style of play do not exist today. How sad.
    Sorry Taneepak, neither Lin Dan nor Chen Hong reminds me of Tang Xinhu or Hou Jiachang.

A player closer to Tang style of movements around the court, in my opinion could be Yang Yang, but Tang's movements are more dynamic and powerful. The 'beauty' of Tang Xinfu move can't be seen in any current Chinese player, IMHO.

I don't remember Hou Jiachang as a powerful player but rather a very fast
    and intelligent player. His defence is like a wall, rock solid, always inviting his opponents to attack and his counter attacks are fast, well placed and lethal. I can't really see a player that moves like him nowadays, maybe Lee Choong Wei. Saw Hou Jiachang playing and practicing once very closely with his brother. By the way, his younger brother was my first badminton coach.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one long article! It's very rewarding though once I finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah...he had such a 'rough' schooldays, juggling his time with studies and badminton. And I thought my education is suffering enough already...

Dr Oon doesn't really have much 'publicity' nowadays, I only heard of Wong Peng Soon and Eddy Choong. Didn't know that he is Peng Soon's nephew.

Enjoyable read, although I still have another half to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    yes. long. i sat here and spend my early morning reading it coz it is so interesting!

he played in the Thomas Cup for Malaya (Malaysia?).

he as a doctor also treated this badminton player who worked in Singapore who used to play for China and had to shorten his career due to pneumonia (can you guess who? ). and also confirms what viver said about how this player never fully recovered from it.
    I've got a strong feeling that the player he's refering to is the great zhao jian hua, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by din
    I've got a strong feeling that the player he's refering to is the great zhao jian hua, isn't it?
    Yes, it is. All the data adds up. Sorry for jumping in.

The Borneon BaddyNut

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2