User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: double skipping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Doubles skips are easy. Triple and quadruple are a completely different thing.
    Have to agree with that. One need to have extreme wrist power for fast rotation plus jumping height to be able to do it.
    Honestly, just stick with double skip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I've been skipping for a really really long time and i consider myself a very good skipper. The term i use is called a double under instead of double skip. Or a triple under instead of a triple skip. Anyways... maybe i haven't really practiced it enough but skip at a fairly fast pace and when i do double unders it's always every other skip. Ie i don't do double unders in a row. I don't see how you can without blowing your rythm up? Maybe it's just me. Basically, i want to know the pace people are doing this double skip (double under) at... i don't see how people can do this for so long (30 mins)?? Skipping intensely is like sprinting....using fast twitch muscles.. Top athletes that run the 100m probably cant spring for 30mins straight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chhayalak
    Hi,

I've been skipping for a really really long time and i consider myself a very good skipper. The term i use is called a double under instead of double skip. Or a triple under instead of a triple skip. Anyways... maybe i haven't really practiced it enough but skip at a fairly fast pace and when i do double unders it's always every other skip. Ie i don't do double unders in a row. I don't see how you can without blowing your rythm up? Maybe it's just me. Basically, i want to know the pace people are doing this double skip (double under) at... i don't see how people can do this for so long (30 mins)?? Skipping intensely is like sprinting....using fast twitch muscles.. Top athletes that run the 100m probably cant spring for 30mins straight!
    It can be done
    All you need is what I mentioned before.
    1) good timing of jumping
    2) good timing and rotation of wrist
    3) A good jumping height so that the rope can loop you twice.
    Height of jump not necessary to be very high.
    It depend on your wrist rotation and skipping rope.

It is all about Practice!

How many of you can run a marathon without practicing?
    Can you imagine the speed marathon runner are running?
    Most people cannot even cope with their speed for the first few miles/km and will be dropping off like flies if they try to cope for the first few miles/km.

Of course I do not say you will become an excellent marathon runner just by practicing but you will be able to complete the marathon without stopping if you really train.

So, how many people will do that?
    Not many as most people are too lazy to train or give up after a few attempts.

As for 100m athletes, they are all muscle up for anerobic without oxygen.
    They do not breathe when sprinting, only 1 breathe before took off and the rest is the muscle working flat-out for that powerful surge of energy that is short-lived. That is also why you do not find world 100m athletes doing 400m event even though the different is just additional 30 seconds. Another reason why there is no muscular world marathon runner because it is a different ball game.

Double skip is different as it is more of Aerobic with oxygen. You can breathe as you skip as like in marathon.

You need to do some reading on Energy Sytems: Anerobic -without oxygen(Alactic and Lactic) and Aerobic with Oxygen to really understand.

Set target
    If you can do it for 10 secs, then set target to 20 secs, till you reach 1 min.
    After that, a minute each time after a target is achieved.
    Eventually you will be able to achieve the result of 30mins but that took time and not by just a few days of trying.
    Of course there are some outstanding people with the ability to do it within a few days.

So, keep practicing and never give up.
    Bonus comes with a stronger smash too!
    Last edited by hyun007; 02-13-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007
    As for 100m athletes, they are all muscle up for anerobic without oxygen. They do not breathe when sprinting, only 1 breathe before took off and the rest is the muscle working flat-out for that powerful surge of energy that is short-lived.
    Not true, they breath a lot. Why do you see them huffing and puffing, out of breath after their run, during an interview. It's impossible to hold your breath for that 100 meters and not to breath.

That is also why you do not find world 100m athletes doing 400m event even though the different is just additional 30 seconds. Another reason why there is no muscular world marathon runner because it is a different ball game.
    You are slightly off, it's because of fast and slow twitch muscles. There are still big 400 meter runners. 800 meters and longer...that's another story.

The sprinters have up to 95% fast twitch muscles (FTM) while marathon runners have up to 95% slow twitch muscles (STM). This is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true, they breath a lot. Why do you see them huffing and puffing, out of breath after their run, during an interview. It's impossible to hold your breath for that 100 meters and not to breath.

You are slightly off, it's because of fast and slow twitch muscles. There are still big 400 meter runners. 800 meters and longer...that's another story.

The sprinters have up to 95% fast twitch muscles (FTM) while marathon runners have up to 95% slow twitch muscles (STM). This is the key.
    Not truth?
    Go read this!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(race)
    All those top runners will never bother to take breathe during 100m.
    That is why they are breathing hard after a race due to Anaerobic with Alactic.

As for those 200m-400m runners, they use Anaerobic with Latic.

I think you do not get my meaning of certain thing.
    I did not said that 400m sprinter are not muscular.
    What I mean if the technique and energy systems used are different.
    Marathon runner are those I said who do not need to be muscular!!!

As for your fast twitching and slow twitching muscles, how do your train for fast twitch muscle?
    One way is basically weight training! The heavier the weight, the greater the number and size of fast-twitch motor units recruited. A weight in excess of 75% 1RM is required to recruit the largest units. Hence ended up becoming musuclar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not truth?
    Go read this!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(race)
    All those top runners will never bother to take breathe during 100m.
    That is why they are breathing hard after a race due to Anaerobic with Alactic.

As for those 200m-400m runners, they use Anaerobic with Latic.

I think you do not get my meaning of certain thing.
    I did not said that 400m sprinter are not muscular.
    What I mean if the technique and energy systems used are different.
    Marathon runner are those I said who do not need to be muscular!!!

As for your fast twitching and slow twitching muscles, how do your train for fast twitch muscle?
    One way is basically weight training! The heavier the weight, the greater the number and size of fast-twitch motor units recruited. A weight in excess of 75% 1RM is required to recruit the largest units. Hence ended up becoming musuclar.

Just cause it's on the internet, it must be true! LOL! On Wikipedia, it said, the 100 meters could be run without breathing, not that everyone does that.

I can assure you 100 meter runners breath during their run. I use to train with the Santa Monica Track Club, I knew lots of world class sprinters and they all breathed.

You are born with a set percentage/ratio of FTM to STM. You cannot change the ratio significantly (legally) but you can build up the muscles. I suggest you look up "plyometrics".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot change the ratio significantly (legally) but you can build up the muscles.
    Just thought that was a nice touch.

As for skipping, make sure you can do single skips consistantly before you go for doubles. Likewise, make sure you can do doubles before you even try triples. I've found that doing doubles (and after you can do those, triples), just comes from trying a lot (= failing a lot as well), until you can find your own rhythm for skipping.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by song.exe
    Just thought that was a nice touch.

As for skipping, make sure you can do single skips consistantly before you go for doubles. Likewise, make sure you can do doubles before you even try triples. I've found that doing doubles (and after you can do those, triples), just comes from trying a lot (= failing a lot as well), until you can find your own rhythm for skipping.

Well, some people may try to alter their genetic make-up with illegal drugs and surgery. Back in the day, the Eastern Bloc was notorious for illegal/altering drugs with devastating side effects.

Agree and good advice on the progression. I can do doubles with ease but rarely try to do triples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, some people may try to alter their genetic make-up with illegal drugs and surgery. Back in the day, the Eastern Bloc was notorious for illegal/altering drugs with devastating side effects.

Agree and good advice on the progression. I can do doubles with ease but rarely try to do triples.
    To do tripples consistently you have to make sure your back is very straight when you jump. Also the best way to work up to it is do 10 singles, 10 doubles then go for the tripples. Doubles are good enough for training though, however doing tripples helps for the shorter rallies where you need super explosive speed for small amounts of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just cause it's on the internet, it must be true! LOL! On Wikipedia, it said, the 100 meters could be run without breathing, not that everyone does that.

I can assure you 100 meter runners breath during their run. I use to train with the Santa Monica Track Club, I knew lots of world class sprinters and they all breathed.

You are born with a set percentage/ratio of FTM to STM. You cannot change the ratio significantly (legally) but you can build up the muscles. I suggest you look up "plyometrics".
    100m world class sprinter does not need to breathe for 100m as I said about Anaerobic(Alactic) energy.

Majority of them do not breathe. Maybe you are watching those runners who are using the old fashion technique(the same idea of why some old technique of badminton are not taught this day as it is less effective).

When was the last time you train with people doing 100m? 10 years ago or more???

If you watch a lot of 100m sprinting on TV this day and the experience commentator will usually comment why most of them do not breathe as Anaerobic(Alactic) does not need oxygen to achieve the maximum powerful surge.

Why I knew that is because I go for COACHING COURSE.
    Wikipedia is just a quick reference.

I knew that we are born with fix FTM or STM but most sprinting athletes do cheat by taking steriod or other sort of illegal drugs to enhance their FTM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    To do tripples consistently you have to make sure your back is very straight when you jump. Also the best way to work up to it is do 10 singles, 10 doubles then go for the tripples. Doubles are good enough for training though, however doing tripples helps for the shorter rallies where you need super explosive speed for small amounts of time.
    Agree!
    Double skip for beginner should also have their back straighten too which I forgot to mention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's important that you get a fast skipping rope. When I started with a cheap rope, there would be quite a lot of wind/mechanical resistance at high rotational speed, so it was very hard on the arms to do double skips. When I got a much better speed-rope, all it took was easy small wrist motions to turn the rope over, so it became much much easier to do the double skips. The best ones are the ones with ball-bearings attaching the rope to the handles.. they're so smooth to turn

As you get better at double skips, you can decrease your jumping height while increasing your wrist speed to increase your skipping speed. At a sufficiently high speed skipping does become anaerobic, for some maybe even at moderate speeds, so maybe that's why it seems difficult to imagine doing doubles for so long.

On a side note, when performing an explosive movement, briefly holding your breath (called the Valsalva manoeuvre) for about 2-3 seconds can momentarily increase the force that you can exert (imagine holding your breath while opening a jar with a tight lid). A 100m sprinter might be able to fit about 4 into their race to improve their performance. So not only is it possible to sprint 100m without breathing, it could advantageous to do so as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stumblingfeet
    It's important that you get a fast skipping rope. When I started with a cheap rope, there would be quite a lot of wind/mechanical resistance at high rotational speed, so it was very hard on the arms to do double skips. When I got a much better speed-rope, all it took was easy small wrist motions to turn the rope over, so it became much much easier to do the double skips. The best ones are the ones with ball-bearings attaching the rope to the handles.. they're so smooth to turn

As you get better at double skips, you can decrease your jumping height while increasing your wrist speed to increase your skipping speed. At a sufficiently high speed skipping does become anaerobic, for some maybe even at moderate speeds, so maybe that's why it seems difficult to imagine doing doubles for so long.

On a side note, when performing an explosive movement, briefly holding your breath (called the Valsalva manoeuvre) for about 2-3 seconds can momentarily increase the force that you can exert (imagine holding your breath while opening a jar with a tight lid). A 100m sprinter might be able to fit about 4 into their race to improve their performance. So not only is it possible to sprint 100m without breathing, it could advantageous to do so as well!
    At last, I got somone here who understand and have the knowledge!

Agree... certain skipping ropes does help for double skip!

Double skipping is anaerobic(Lactic) for beginner but it somehow change to aerobic when one mastered it and able to control the tempo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At last, I got somone here who understand and have the knowledge!

Agree... certain skipping ropes does help for double skip!

Double skipping is anaerobic(Lactic) for beginner but it somehow change to aerobic when one mastered it and able to control the tempo.

It's possible and maybe advantageous. It's not gospel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default qn for all skippers

qn for all skippers: has skipping helped you grow taller???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shawn30_k
    qn for all skippers: has skipping helped you grow taller???
    Unpossible. If anything it'll slightly inhibit growth due to compression of the spine when you jump up and down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something about jumping rope. i have a boxing training background, so please trust me when i tell you that jumping rope is one of the most important ways to improve your speed, stamina and reaction time.
    it not only works your calves, but also your arms, shoulders, back, chest. it's an all round workout.
    for a badminton player, you might also jump rope about 10 x 3 minutes. (when you get in shape, you won't make it 30 minutes first time, at least i doubt it). each of these 3 minutes, you should organize like this. 30 seconds slow "double foot jump", then without stopping continue 30 seconds FAST "alternate foot jump", then again 30 seconds slow...and so on till you reach 3 minutes. take 30 seconds break and then repeat.
    when you'll be able to do 10 rounds of these, you are IN SHAPE.

if you haven't done a lot of jumping rope in the past, first start off with only 10 minutes before each practice. do that for 3 or 4 weeks to get some timing in your feet. then i'd advise you start with the 10 x 3 minutes programme if you wanna get good.

cheers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast