Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: double skipping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkomarci
    for a badminton player, you might also jump rope about 10 x 3 minutes. (when you get in shape, you won't make it 30 minutes first time, at least i doubt it). each of these 3 minutes, you should organize like this. 30 seconds slow "double foot jump", then without stopping continue 30 seconds FAST "alternate foot jump", then again 30 seconds slow...and so on till you reach 3 minutes. take 30 seconds break and then repeat.
    when you'll be able to do 10 rounds of these, you are IN SHAPE.
    sounds interesting, i will try these reps but wouldn't it be difficult to keep track of the time, ie 30 seconds. do you skip while staring at a clock or you have a better idea? cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yea it's very interesting, even if some people think that jumping rope is boring, but trust me, once you start jumping, it's anything but boring. especially when you get the hang of all the tricks such as doing kriss-kross with your arms and other tricks.

when i skip at home, i skip infront of a big clock. it's just important that it shows the seconds also. if you're on practice, then you might ask someone to take a stopwatch and tell you when the 30 seconds is over.

good stopwatches can be set so they make a sound every 30 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very important to try and jump as high as you can when you attempt at double or even triple skips, it makes things so much easier !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    It is very important to try and jump as high as you can when you attempt at double or even triple skips, it makes things so much easier !
    I think higher than a normal skip but not as high as you can!!!

It is all about the speed of your wrist rotation and the cordination of jumping height for smooth continuous jumps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversely you can minimize the height that you jump so that you perform your doubles more quickly. This would make things more challenging!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i wouldn't really recommend doing that a lot (high jumps) because it is terrible for your ankles.
    at first just do the regular jumping, that is double foot jumps and alternate foot jumps. don't do anything fancy for starters, just try to keep up the pace for as much as you can without tripping. also change the pace as you're jumping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkomarci
    well i wouldn't really recommend doing that a lot (high jumps) because it is terrible for your ankles.
    at first just do the regular jumping, that is double foot jumps and alternate foot jumps. don't do anything fancy for starters, just try to keep up the pace for as much as you can without tripping. also change the pace as you're jumping.
    But isn't jumping higher ( jumping from knees to chest ) be more of a workout on your body than just lifting your feet only an inch or two from the ground ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea of course it is, but like i said...just don't over do it because of your hips, knees and ankles. if you lift your feet only an inch or two like you said, but if you do it in a very fast pace it can squeeze you out just like that.
    holding the same tempo all the time isn't a problem, i could jump rope like this for an hour without breaking a sweat. the hard thing is changing the pace (speed). do a bit of slow jumping, then do some as fast as you can. do both alternate and double foot jumps.

whatever you do while jumping rope, just make it dynamic: slow-fast-slow-fast..., double-jumps, tripple (if you have a fast rope), one legged jumps, double foot and alternate jumps, kriss-kross, kan-kan jumping, forward-backward (using double foot jumps), left-right, alternate left-right...

but CHANGE the speed every once in a while. try that out for just half an hour and let me know if you need high jumps so badly. but nevertheless, they're good if you fit them into your dynamic program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yea, as for high jumping, they're very good as long as you do them alternately. i thought you were talking about high double-foot jumps. now THAT'S bad for your hips and knees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't jumping higher ( jumping from knees to chest ) be more of a workout on your body than just lifting your feet only an inch or two from the ground ?
    Does your knees to chest mean jump with your knees touching the chest?
    If so, I will only recommended it without skipping rope due to safety reason.
    And one should not do it too many times dued to what Ikomarci indicated, "bad for hips and knees".

As for double skip, you need to lift your feet about 3-7inches high depending on your skipping rope and rotation speed. Stumblingfeet did indicate that for faster pace, you jump lower but with faster rotation which is true. It is still a very good workout if you can do it for 15-30mins even with stopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007
    Does your knees to chest mean jump with your knees touching the chest?
    If so, I will only recommended it without skipping rope due to safety reason.
    And one should not do it too many times dued to what Ikomarci indicated, "bad for hips and knees".

As for double skip, you need to lift your feet about 3-7inches high depending on your skipping rope and rotation speed. Stumblingfeet did indicate that for faster pace, you jump lower but with faster rotation which is true. It is still a very good workout if you can do it for 15-30mins even with stopping.
    Thanks for the ideas! I will try to alternate my skips and everything so that my knees won't go bad ... one of the reason that I thought jumping higher ( trying to jump from knees to chest ) while skipping is a good idea because it's less time consuming ( to get a good workout and everything). But now that you put it this way, I don't want to risk not being able to walk when I'm older

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Double skips

I skip everyday and whenever I do even single or double skips I usually do about 30 double skips consecutively but then I'm out of breath so how do I improve that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm yea i've noticed that a lot of people have the same kind of problem. the solution is called "Burpees". check out this site:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

this is an exercise that will make you spit out your lungs. besides jumping rope, burpees are my most important exercise for conditioning. when you're able to do 50 of them without stopping, you are in shape my man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your strong enough and flexible enough you won't injure your knees and hips. the only way to get better at skipping is to practice. I started off only being able to do 15 doubles now I can go do almost 200. It just takes time and practice and conscious effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    if your strong enough and flexible enough you won't injure your knees and hips. the only way to get better at skipping is to practice. I started off only being able to do 15 doubles now I can go do almost 200. It just takes time and practice and conscious effort.
    I know this thread is kinda old but its related to this thread so no point opening a new 1.

I would like to ask
    1. What type of skipping rope you guys recommend? For example rubber 1s with a spring at each front of the handle? or like rope type. etc etc

2. Does using ankle weights when skipping injure someone in the long term? especially double jumps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i prefer rubber instead of anything else. leather can be pretty good aswell, but you have to put it into water about 10 minutes prior to exercising because it gets heavier when it absorbs water which will make it a lot faster. without this procedure, it will be almost impossible to do any quick jumping, not to mention the doubles.

so, you need "heavy" rubber cord with thin, long grip and swivel bearings wouldn't do no harm.

if i may, i would recommend the one and only Buddy Lee jump ropes. i couldn't believe the difference when i purchased the Buddy Lee dX 12 The Heavy Jump Rope. I used Nike's heavy rubber jump rope, but it's nothing in compare with dX12. there's nothing like those double sleeve bearings. but for starters, you'll do just fine with cheaper models. but rubber it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jas1121
    I know this thread is kinda old but its related to this thread so no point opening a new 1.

I would like to ask
    1. What type of skipping rope you guys recommend? For example rubber 1s with a spring at each front of the handle? or like rope type. etc etc

2. Does using ankle weights when skipping injure someone in the long term? especially double jumps?
    Do not use ankle weights. Over time they can create spaces between your foot and ankle b/c they continually hit your foot into the floor. If you want to use weights get a chest weight. Chest weights can be adjusted moer as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast