User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: double skipping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Unpossible. If anything it'll slightly inhibit growth due to compression of the spine when you jump up and down.
    not true. skipping shouldnt make much of a difference to your growth really , other that the benifits any exercise brings.

Also , the thing about the eastern block altering there genes? heheh.. i dont think so. They just took loasda steroids and hormones. Really messed themselves up. Altering genes either gives you cancer or turns you into the x men. people dont actually do that because its still too new and not understood.

And skipping is a hell of alot more fun than running. Thats all i have to say on it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much skipping can stunt growth. It's definitely not going to make you grow taller, which was the question.

Quote Originally Posted by mojopin
    not true. skipping shouldnt make much of a difference to your growth really , other that the benifits any exercise brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the replies, guess i wont have to buy a ankle weight but will get a rubber rope with bearings.

Anyone with tips on doing the criss-cross jump rope technique? I only know how to do the basic jumps.I tried doing the criss-cross technique but failed all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Too much skipping can stunt growth. It's definitely not going to make you grow taller, which was the question.
    crap, im asian and im pretty short as i am now... i don't need something that can stunt my growth! time to tell coach that i have a legitimate reason not to jump rope anymore...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pandee720
    crap, im asian and im pretty short as i am now... i don't need something that can stunt my growth! time to tell coach that i have a legitimate reason not to jump rope anymore...
    Well, jump rope in general, in moderation is just fine. In fact, recommended. It has a great number of benefits. However, if you jump too much, it can possibly stunt growth as well as put stress on your lower joints.

Again, in moderation it's highly recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jas1121
    Anyone with tips on doing the criss-cross jump rope technique? I only know how to do the basic jumps.I tried doing the criss-cross technique but failed all the time.
    yes, and you will fail and fail and fail even more. it takes a lot of time and practice to get the timing and proper arm movements. that's the whole philosophy about it. just keep practicing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you guys want to get better, you need to make your training routine. it doesn't have to be the same every time, but get that rope jump training a little organised.

whatever you do, make sure you warm up first, jump rope for about 2 or 3 minutes, slow tempo, just basic and alternate foot jumps. next thing to do is do some basic stretching, rub your calf muscles a bit do warm them up, do a few exercises for your knees and ankles. it's very important to warm up your upper body aswell, until you get into good shape your shoulders and forearms are going to get a lot more tired than your legs.

now you're ready to get down to some business. you can use my boxing routine. the workout consists of basic jumps and alternate foot jumps. don't do any cross overs or double jumps, getting the most of these 3 minutes is the basic idea, all those tricks will lead you to making mistakes and terminating the session. so just keep it simple:

1. basic jump, SLOW TEMPO
    2. alternate foot jump, FAST (and i mean fast as you can without making mistakes)
    3. basic jump, SLOW TEMPO
    4. alternate foot jump, FAST
    5. basic jump, SLOW TEMPO
    6. alternate foot jump, FAST

take 1 minute off, relax your arm muscles, i bet they're sore already repeat this twice. this will do for a beginner's two weeks or so. you can add more rounds later on when you feel fit enough. also, make some changes in the routine occasionally, repeating the same routine every time can become very boring. so once or twice a week (depends on how often you train) afford your self some freestyle jumping. learn those tricks such as criss-cross, they'll make it a whole lotta fun.

try some double unders, criss-cross, side-to-side jumping (keep your feet together), front-and-back (feet together), scissor jumps (one foot forward, one back), can-can (yea just the dance), single leg jumps (keeping one leg bent).

well i really don't know about the growth thing. the whole philosophy is to jump soft, basic jumps isn't about pounding the ground hard with both feet, you have to jump SOFT. when you do the hyperjumping it doesn't count because your feet will touch the ground for just a brief moment. and never bring your heels to the floor except if you do the scissor jumps or perhaps even can-can.

there's another thread on this forum about rope jumping, someone pasted a link with a very nice video of Flody Mayweather's rope jump training. just watch his feet and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8BnJhiEbY
    Last edited by lkomarci; 03-04-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkomarci
    if you guys want to get better, you need to make your training routine. it doesn't have to be the same every time, but get that rope jump training a little organised.

whatever you do, make sure you warm up first, jump rope for about 2 or 3 minutes, slow tempo, just basic and alternate foot jumps. next thing to do is do some basic stretching, rub your calf muscles a bit do warm them up, do a few exercises for your knees and ankles. it's very important to warm up your upper body aswell, until you get into good shape your shoulders and forearms are going to get a lot more tired than your legs.

now you're ready to get down to some business. you can use my boxing routine. the workout consists of basic jumps and alternate foot jumps. don't do any cross overs or double jumps, getting the most of these 3 minutes is the basic idea, all those tricks will lead you to making mistakes and terminating the session. so just keep it simple:

1. basic jump, SLOW TEMPO
    2. alternate foot jump, FAST (and i mean fast as you can without making mistakes)
    3. basic jump, SLOW TEMPO
    4. alternate foot jump, FAST
    5. basic jump, SLOW TEMPO
    6. alternate foot jump, FAST

take 1 minute off, relax your arm muscles, i bet they're sore already repeat this twice. this will do for a beginner's two weeks or so. you can add more rounds later on when you feel fit enough. also, make some changes in the routine occasionally, repeating the same routine every time can become very boring. so once or twice a week (depends on how often you train) afford your self some freestyle jumping. learn those tricks such as criss-cross, they'll make it a whole lotta fun.

try some double unders, criss-cross, side-to-side jumping (keep your feet together), front-and-back (feet together), scissor jumps (one foot forward, one back), can-can (yea just the dance), single leg jumps (keeping one leg bent).

well i really don't know about the growth thing. the whole philosophy is to jump soft, basic jumps isn't about pounding the ground hard with both feet, you have to jump SOFT. when you do the hyperjumping it doesn't count because your feet will touch the ground for just a brief moment. and never bring your heels to the floor except if you do the scissor jumps or perhaps even can-can.

there's another thread on this forum about rope jumping, someone pasted a link with a very nice video of Flody Mayweather's rope jump training. just watch his feet and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8BnJhiEbY
    Thanks alot, those are really useful ,yea practice and pratice. I was able to do the criss-cross technique today but only at slow pace will work on it. Now i am targeting double unders which i find it hard to do continuously due to timing i guess, mistakes. Its really fustrating when i have been trying the whole day to do the doubles unders and fail miserably all the time.

That video is really amazing, thanks, Mayweather , i can only think of one word, WOW. He looks like he has been skipping rope forever. I wish i could reach that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oii ppl did u know the world record for boxers actually can do 5 skips in one go? no triple or quadruple, but lyk pent!! oh i fink quadruple is for use of music... but u get wot i mean lol! the world boxer can do 5!!!!! i cant even see the rope, not the tiniest bit! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White_Gemini91 View Post
    Oii ppl did u know the world record for boxers actually can do 5 skips in one go? no triple or quadruple, but lyk pent!! oh i fink quadruple is for use of music... but u get wot i mean lol! the world boxer can do 5!!!!! i cant even see the rope, not the tiniest bit! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!
    Unbelievable... because u "can't even see the rope".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been skipping and jogging for a while now. Just wanted to mention shin splints, this term describes pain at the front of your lower leg. It's common, i'm recovering from it. It's not to serious but the more skipping you do the worse the pain gets. It can take several weeks out of your fitness training, however playing badminton itself was ok for me (pain manageable).

In short, if you start to feel a sharp pain on the front of your shin when you jump on one foot, take a break for a few days to avoid further disruption to your routine.
    Last edited by All But One; 07-26-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general, when feeling pain in any area, rest. Simple as that.

I tried 2 normally, haven't tried beyond that. Are you trying to be a ballet dancer or what? lol.

Criss cross is easy. Just do it if you feel unsure about it. You'll get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double skipping here. Move forward to 3:16. Practice it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4