Anywhere to play in or around Westchester County?

Discussion in 'USA East' started by skwid_99, Jan 26, 2006.

1. skwid_99

skwid_99 New Member

I'm interested in playing pretty regularly for not too much money, I wouldn't mind going into Manhattan except the clubs are either too expensive or in Queens. Anyone know any churches or schools which are currently renting out their gyms for badminton anywhere in westchester county?

:rolleyes:

2. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    You are not very far from Greenwich, CT. There is a club there which meets in the local YWCA.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, I don't think you can get there via public transportation. Also, I believe the drop in fee is $12 per 2 hrs, which is kinda expensive already. ;)

4. robina

robina Regular Member

hey how are you? you may have read my messages here. so far I haven't found any places in westchester but I haven't stopped searching. I have recieved emails from several people who are interested in playing in westchester and don't want to go to manhattan to play. I live in yonkers and going to manhattan is a bit hectic. I would appreciate if you would let me know if you find anything. keep in touch and i hope to get started something soon.

5. robina

robina Regular Member

hello,

I just called YWCA here in Yonkers and found out that they do have an audotorium that they rent out. However, they told me to call them back on Monday which is tomorrow to get the details. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully this will work out. So in the meantime, everyone who is interested to play (considering that we do get this place) please email me at robina1981@yahoo.com, let me know where in Westchester you live and when can you start playing. I want to have a headcount (I am expecting atleas 10-15 people to begin with) so that I can present it to YWCA. I prefer to play on weekends (saturdays) and would like to know when the rest of you can and want to play. Once we get this place started we have so much potential. I have some great plans already. If you have emailed me before, email me again so that I have a final headcount. Since I live very close to this YWCA I am willing to go down there and get it all started so we can all start playing there soon!!!

6. robina

robina Regular Member

guys,
    just wanted to let you know that I will get some sort of response from ywca today so will let you know. thank you all for your emails.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Best of luck for your guys! :)

8. robina

robina Regular Member

Hey,
    Lazy, thanks. To everyone else, I have a good news, well depends on how you look at it. I have already emailed this information to all who sent me emails but just incase I left out anyone, I thought I should post it here as well.

Though, Yonkers YWCA gym is all booked up on the weekends, Yonkers YMCA has a gym available for $150/hr. I've asked them to give as some kind of a better deal but not sure if we will get it. The gym is huge. We can set up atleast 3 and maybe 4 courts at once. I am hoping that we will get enough people to join so that the cost for each individual would not be too much. Availability is as follows:
    6-9 p.m. on Saturdays or 7-10 p.m.on Saturdays
    Not sure about Sundays, waiting for them to let me know.
    Since I really want this to work and since we all are very much interested in starting a steady badminton club in Westchester, I am willing to provide shuttles for everyone. The only equipment we would have to pitch in for will be nets and ofcoruse, all of us have our own racket(s). We can also set up training hours as well without any cost. I've played at a National level while in India so will be more than willing to help others if they need any and I am sure others would do the same.
    What do you all think of this? Is this a good deal? Let me know and please, if you are interested, reply to my emails and if you haven't sent me an email already, do so asap and spread the word to your friends.

Yonkers YMCA Contact Information:
    Yonkers YMCA
    17 Riverdale Avenue
    Yonkers, 10701
    (Next to Shoprite, across from 2-8 Hudson Street, few blocks from Greystone Metron North Station, easily accessbile via Westchester Bee Line Bus Svc: #6 from White Plains stops about a block from YMCA)
    Phone: 963-0183

visit www.westchestergov.com for bee line bus routes and schedules.
    If anyone is interested in coming from outside of Westchester but unsure about transportaion etc. let me know.

Thanks!

#8 robina, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  9. robina

robina Regular Member

One more thing, all of you who are interested in joining and/or finding out the details, I would like to set up a meeting for next Saturday 2/18, preferably between noon and 4, we can meet up at YMCA, check out the place and get to know each other.

Let me know!

#9 robina, Feb 10, 2006
  10. robina

robina Regular Member

Update: Just got a call back from YMCA and I have even better news. They told me that if we commit to atleast 8 weeks (every saturday 7-10 pm), they will reduce the gym rental fee to $100/hr rather than $150/hr. Now how awesome is that?

If I get atleast 10 people who are 100% sure that they will be joining this club, I will reserve the gym for us for $50, which will count towards our first rental fee.

Still waiting for everyone's response. Guys, lets not delay this!!!!

#10 robina, Feb 10, 2006
  11. robina

robina Regular Member

well everyone,

I tried but I guess no one is interested. Not sure why so many of you initially showed so much interest and now that I finally found a place no one seems interested anymore.

Take care.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I guess give everyone several more days? Maybe many ppl were busy dealing with the storm the past weekend. I am sure if u give a long enough period (say, 7-10 days), u will get more replies. Try not to shut the door too early, if possible.

Your guys went all the way, and it's 99.9% there already... ;)

13. robina

robina Regular Member

Lazy,

You have a point but this is time sensitive and I am sure that by now the spot has alredy been taken. So all I can say is oh well. Too bad!

14. EastcoastAZN

EastcoastAZN Regular Member

Badminton mercenary
    Yipee!

Howdy Robina! Wow you're alive. Its been many months since your last post before your return to BC in 2006. Anyways i read your renewed enthusiasm and search for a badminton gym in yonkers and i think what suppressed most of the people's intial interest to join your efforts in Yonkers was two things. The biggest blizzard in New York City's history,26.9 inches and the mathematics of keeping the gym running. At 150 per hour for 3 hours a saturday that comes out to 450 per night. Projecting about 10 members as the founding group of players for the new club each visit would cost a member $45 per visit and that makes driving to Manhattan,NJ,CT all the more inviting. If you want to play some games to shake some rust off and find out more about how the other clubs were able to get their clubs off the ground. Maybe you can find some time in your hectic schedule and drop by at the other clubs and get acquainted with the players and managers. Ask the organizers how they got the club started. Maybe they have some refreshing ideas. Who knows worth a shot. In March is the Boston Open Tournament. See ya there.:D

15. hmypnrg

hmypnrg Regular Member

Xixixixi~~~ My first time here in this forum...but I have known you guys for a while.

Guess who???? :rolleyes:

16. shuttle051

shuttle051 New Member

Engineer
    Hi did you find any place in Westchester?