New ranking system

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    See the report in worldbadminton.

It's looks more simple and also theoretically encourages higher ranked players to play in the smaller tournaments (1 and 2 star).

I'd like to think BC forum members have made a difference :) but IBF probably have been thinking about the issue for a year or two already.

2. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Guest

Mmm i think that the new ranking system although gets people to play more. It would also mean that at the end a person who has never won a major tournament e.g. a Six star tournament could be heading for a top ten ranking. Could see some players burning out as a way of trying to achieve a higher rank. Well there is good points and bad points to this matter, good points is that for the well travelled badminton player it is character building but whats the point being number one when you never won any high star rating tournaments e.g. Korean, Japanese, Danish. Stick to playing the US and Polish one star tournaments total prize money in these was $30,000 in the year 2000. I think that the system dosen't justify the ability of the player it just shows who could play better in a high number of tournaments and grand prix's. The rankings would fluctuate alot more quicker but i guess they try to use this system to get people to remain more interested in the game or create awareness i.e. who's ranking where at what point in time. I think that the Tennis ranking system is criticised for using this system as well, at one point in time Hingis was number one when Venus Williams won two Majors (one was Wimbledon and i can't remember the other one hahaha).

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Have to wait for more details before commenting.

A question for Chen. Do you think a player who has consistently place 2nd/3rd throughout the year should not be ranked higher than a player who might only win one major tournament the whole year (other placing are maybe, in the top 15)?

I would rather see the former be ranked higher than the latter. I think that the ranking system should take into account the differences between the majore and minor events as in minor events, you might not have the same kind of quality players than in a major event.

4. Chen Dan :D

the cases of burn out is a case which the IBF is seems to be ignoring (higher number of tournament = higher injuries) Badminton creates alot of stress on the joints of the body, with the new system we could see Peter Rasmussen ranking pretty high with a wheel chair hahaha . With the new ranking system it would takeaway the credibility of the major events and it would mean that all tournaments are equal which in opinion wouldn't seem fair. It Wouldn't be fair to have a 5 star tournament such as the indonesian open earning the same amount of points for you in the Polish open.

In tennis the Majors include Wimbledon, Australia Open, French Open and the US open. If the Satellite Tournament events were equal to these tournaments i'd wouldn't think that it wouldn't be fair. Some major tournaments has a very long tradition e.g. the all england which try very hard to remain a quality tournament , with a proposal to build low impact flooring for the players and changing the lighting to the audiences tastes. It wouldn't justify a smaller tournament giving the players the same ranking points for a bad quality tournament.

In terms of the players perspective try to imagine a player having won the Danish Open, Korean Open and Malaysian Open equaling to a player who has just won the Hero's Polish Open, OCBC US Open and Yonex German Open i don't think that it would be fair on the venues as well with higher ranked tournaments offering better prize money.

I would rather see a better player than a worser player having played more tournaments being ranked higher. Why would you think people watch events like the world championships? it is to see players performing at their best with the better opposition. The new ranking system encourages players to play through all year but to be honest i'd rather watch a high profile tournament with a player of great ability playing against tough opposition fewer times. Than plain old Joe Bloggs 20 times a year. :D

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Your argumentation is void. You misinterpreted the "no bonus points" phrase in the IBF bulletin. It certainly does not mean that all tournaments will earn equal amount of points. It only means that players won't get bonus points anymore for beating higher ranked opponents.

6. Chen Dan :D

Still i think if there is no bonus points for beating higher ranked players its still unfair, if you claim to have beaten a number one player it would seem to be fair to move further up in the rankings (although i do except that sometimes players do have their off days). How hard will it be for a new player to move further up if he/shes a youngster but is taking out some of the top players out. Well to be honest i prefer the current system, the IBF is trying to alter alot of the systems ''for more coverage which is a way good for the sport''. But looking at the scoring system it was seen as unsuccessful with 2 out of three countries favouring reverting back to 15 points to 3 games

7. Chen Dan :D

Sorry 2 games sigh............ :D why does it always feel that i'm arguing and not discussing.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just to point out, the article did not imply participants would gain equal number of ranking points for different grades of tournaments. So I would still expect somebody who won the Indonesian Open to get more points than a one star tournament.

As for burn out, players and their associations tend to pick and choose the tournaments, so I don't think a massive amount increase in entries is on the cards.

If a person won one major tournament, should he be ranked higher than somebody who played four major tournaments but got to the q/f in each? Well, this is the objective of the ranking system.