User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: confidence

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A man with no goal is a blind man...

What did ancient warriors do before they head out for battle? They ritually dress their armours, prepare their swords and say their goodbyes to their loved ones before fighting and possibly dying. Heh! And you think we have it bad. Times haven't changed much. It's pretty much the same for anyone prior to going into stressful situations.

Contrary to popular beliefs, a tournament is the wrong place and time to worry about techniques. You should have done your 'homework' already before going into the 'exam hall'. Cramming is the worst thing one can do to oneself. All that unneccessary pressure and anguish over what one hasn't done to prepare for the exam is a waste of time. If you haven't done the legwork (ie. training and mental preparation) before the big day, you're not ready to perform.

There's a reason why you perform better at practice than in actual games where there are stakes to be won or lost. There's no pressure on yourself to beat your opponents in practice. It's when you're relaxed that you'll get the best timing and energy to perform. Worry about techniques when you're practicing so that you don't have to think about them when you really do need them.

I suggest making pre-game rituals to focuse your thoughts to the challenge at hand. Remind yourself about your goals. Make sure you get lots of rest prior to competing and take extra time to warm up (not delaying the start of your games but rather coming in early to warm up). Don't worry too much about opponents. Rather, use your mental efforts to objectively assess your opponents' capabilities and see what you can do to inflict damage. How much information you can observe and take in depends on your experience and intelligence. If you haven't given much thought about winning other than imagining the end result, then you won't get much from your tournament experience.

Quote Originally Posted by lkomarci
    cappy75: you are absolutely right when saying i'm already beaten when starting to feel bad before playing in a tournament. that's EXACTLY what my problem is. i can't even sleep very good the day before, i'm very anxious, nervous, i guess that also every time i overestimate my opponent. i'm quite sure that's what i always do that beats me up. so perhaps that's why my arm gets all hard.

when mentioning mental preparation, HOW do you menatlly prepare for a tournament? to be honest, when i'm thinking about a tournament, i'm always seing myself winning, playing awesome shots. and perhaps, when i start actually playing, i'm afraid that i'm going to dissapoint myself and all the magic is suddenly gone.
    Last edited by cappy75; 02-25-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points, cappy. I've heard the brain concentrates only on a few aspects of the million impressions it gets from the environment. So it's a good way of playing if one player concentrates on certain aspects, instead of thinking 40 times (i think that's the number of the impressions the brain focus on) that he makes to much errors.
    For me it helps when i let things go. If i'm nervous, i say to myself "Hey, you're nervous". but i don't try to use all my energy to fight it.

I think if one cares to much about the outcome of the game it's difficult to win against say equal opponents who concentrate on the right things, whatever this will be .
    But for me here again i try to think like this (when i'm in good mood ):"Ok, this match is very important for me, of course i'm nervous". By the time i think like this, i come to the conclusion, what i should do to win inspite my nervousnes or how i can act to get rid of it (for example move my arms and upper body to relax it after each rally). If i think all the time:"Oh my god, i'm to nervous. I'll loose because of this problem", it doesen't help me so much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brain is a hardware that takes in softwares good or bad. One need to program oneself for success. Having attainable goals is the first step. Being positive is essential throughout the process. The more you beat yourself, the more negative you become.

Check out Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea but...i don't know where the problem is, the hardware? or the software? should i check for a short-circuit, or should i just debug my program

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your sake, let's hope it's not a hardware problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lkomarci
    yea but...i don't know where the problem is, the hardware? or the software? should i check for a short-circuit, or should i just debug my program

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to the op, you seem to play often, but dont forget about pausing. two weeks of rest mite give u back ur concentration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i where you. i would concetrate on playing badly. i mean it, give it a go [play cricket]. just go into a game and say "what the h***!", i intend to smash that birdie into the net, play drop shots into my own court. and if playing that badly still s**ks, take it to an art form and play with determination that all shots will be hit with bad intentions.
    a couple days of that short of play, should kick into your system, and get the rust out. cause mate, dont be bother by playing bad. be bothered if you are bad.
    and if you play with a better player as a partner, donot be waned on the shots they make, cause if just cause irritation on your part to try to also make those shots. try partnering yourself with a female-double, that should help regain some of those skills. . and if you totally donot get it going. i would say a 'RE-FORMAT and RE-INSTALL of the SOFTWARE, is required ', lol, just kidding buddy.
    Last edited by system32drivers; 02-27-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u play bad intentionally this perhaps makes ur opponent feel a bit fooled like you wont take him serious. dont play like u dont care about the game :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default sports psychology

Quote Originally Posted by SPGDarren
    My dad (who is awesome and very VERY consistent) says it all in my head, i need to have confidence in my game...easier said than done...right now i lost all my confidence...
    I actually mention the solutions to this in the book "Advanced Badminton Techniques" in the section on "Psychological Tactics."

Basically, try this:
    1. if you play well/okay during practice but not during games/tournaments, as you are about to hit the shuttle during games/tournaments, say to yourself, "Practice...I'm still just practicing...this is just practice." In other words, as you're about to hit it, pretend you're still just practicing, warming up. Any shot you make during the game, say that to yourself as you're going to hit the shuttle. Make sure you really believe it--think that you're just warming up as you hit. You'll be surprised at how much better your shots will become.
    2. if your game goes limp against stronger-than-you players, try this: pretend they're someone you can beat easily. Think of a person you play with regularly (man or woman) who you can beat with one hand tied behind your back. Now say that person's name and pretend he/she is the one you're playing against. Let's say her name is "Olive", you go, "C'mon Olive, hit me with your best shot, Olive. Yawn...is that all you can do, Olive? Man, this is so easy, it's just Olive." I tried this approach against a powerful smasher who used to make me nervous when he was just about to smash, and it worked. I was able to return 100% of his smashes that I couldn't before. It was very easy, after all, I was playing against "Olive" and not him.

There are many more tips in the book so I recommend you get hold of it:

"Filled with step-by-step photographs and diagrams, former national-badminton-team coach and teaching-expert Butch Oreta and writer Vip Malixi reveal the secrets of world class players in this thorough yet easy-to-read, accessible book.

Readers will learn to do the different shots—the serve, the jump smash, the tumbling net drop, drives, pushes, etc.—just like the elite players. They’ll find out the different psychological tactics to handle pressure situations; gain an impenetrable defense; learn the keys to greater stroke power, speed, control and deception."

Thanks and hope these tips help,

vip
    Last edited by vip_m; 02-27-2006 at 12:42 AM. Reason: syntax error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPGDarren
    Thank you for your advice, I usually lose my confidence when I play players who are better than me....cause some players who are better than me are really arrogant...and if I make mistakes, you can tell with their body langauge that they're really mad or angry at me..and that sometimes put me off and then I try too hard in the games which makes it worse...one time this guy who was pairing with me at a game of Men's Doubles, he was so angry he said to me "why don't you f***ing clear it sometimes" and that really put me off..
    Geeee so relieved to know that I am not the ONLY ONE! SPGDarren, I had the exact experience this past weekend during a local league. I and my partner were on fire during the first two games but then, when I got to the last one, it was a total diaster

I have come a long way to even get to play consistently and not to make too many unforced errors during tournments. There are just too many things that will affect your performance during a game such as pponent style of play, condition of your partner and yourself, etc. I used to (still am) be really pis??? at myself after a "bad" game!!

...if your partner has been giving you pressure especially with really nasty facial expression , talk to them!! Make sure to let them know that they are affecting your performance!! It is the responsibility of your partner (same on your side) to constantly reassure and encourage you in order to play well in tournments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2