Slow Motion

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by smash_master, Jan 29, 2006.

1. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    did a search but didnt find anything i think there was one before about somebody asking for a picture or something when the shuttle strikes the racquet...well i was on you tube...why cause i was bored lol. But a video caught my attention "Slow motion - Australia Open" (http://www.youtube.com/w/Slow-motion---Australia-Open?v=FbCKFmizLAs) so i watched it and all i thought about was wow would this be way cooler if it was badminton...and that made me wonder so has it ever been done before for badminton? and if so would anybody know where to find some video footage of it? cause i would enjoy seeing a smash in slow motion...all the flex on the racquet that would be cool...or maby its just me :rolleyes:

2. bad_aim

bad_aim Regular Member

Wow that would be really cool if there was a slow motion badminton video!

3. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    i've got a program for slowing down movies but i don't have any badminton clips :(

4. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    You can't just slow down a clip...
    You need a special "high-speed-cam" with much more frames per second then in normal clips (24-30 fps).
    Otherwise it won't run as smoothly like in this clip

So i think: There is no chance to do this with normal clips...

Perhaps with an ORIGINAL DVD!

5. smash_master

player/coach/student
    yup unfortunalty that wont work as well, you do have to use a high speed camera to capture the video because of the higher frames per second but i wonder if they have/will ever do this for badminton...cause high speed cameras can be expensive to buy and rent...would be able to see alot of cool stuff happening if it was done though.

6. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    actually, i've tried it with 29.5 frames/sec - the program compensates for any jerky motions - it follows the movement arc, the wonders of modern technology.:D But i agree, you can't do it with clips from the internet coz most clips are only between 10-20+ frames/sec and the resolution is very bad - for that to work you'd need those computers from CIA and NSA.:D

7. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Hehe, yeah that was exactly what I was after, but for Badminton :) Thanks for the link, very interesting.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You mean like:

FBI agent: "Hold on. Zoom in on that picture."

Tech guy: "What, you mean this low resolution, badly blurred aerial photo of New York taken from a hot air balloon in a thunderstorm?"

Agent: "Yeah, that's the one."

Tech: "Okay." *zooms in 1 million times*

Agent: "Damn. Nothing but a giant 1 pixel blur."

Tech: "Yah. What did you expect?"

Agent: "Wait a minute. Enhance."

Tech: "How?"

Agent: "Press the big red button marked 'mystical FBI image enhancement' "

Tech: "Awesome! Funny, I could have sworn that wasn't there before."

*They wait with bated breath, as the computer does cool stuff with fancy screen fade effects*

Agent: "That's him alright. You can clearly see the wart on his nose with TWO hairs growing out of it. Break out the robot ninjas."​

#8 Gollum, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  9. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related

lol. :D exactly. :) you've got a career waiting for you in directing. :p

10. eagle

eagle Regular Member

Yeah Ultra-slo mo is name of the game..in cricket several footages are shown in broadcast...soon it shd be in Badminton to really see how pro's are hitting the shuttle...:D till then enjoy some general videos in Ultra-slo mo

http://www.fotosearch.com/video-footage/ultra-slow-motion.html

11. system32drivers

system32drivers Regular Member

if you have the clips of the video (residing on your laptop/desktop - anything else would be a hassle unless ur are totally loaded and have a list-line at home) or else if totally bored and have a fast internet connection you can download (badminton games - use them for game analysis) using emule. i think this was sited on this forum; somewhere just do not the link to that forum :rolleyes:. then use a media player such as VLC media player which you can download at this site http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, to slow down motion play (just hit slow slow slow slow slow:crying:). i think there are a couple of other media players going around the net, but usually, i have around 4-5 media players that i use to play all kind of media (ogm, etc....). what i really want is a media player that is using the x-ray technology. :D lol. just ignore that last statement .......

12. nanoliska

nanoliska Regular Member

automotive aprentice
    that video is awsome..i really wish there was a badminton one tho....:crying:

13. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    where can one find a high speed camera?

14. smash_master

player/coach/student
    my guess is that you can go to some of the speacility stores and should be able to find them there or in product catalogues but im willing to bet that they might be pretty expensive. Can also use the most abundant search engine there is google to find out more about them.

15. smash_master

player/coach/student
    An answer to my question

Well this was over a year ago that i made this thread and my question has been answered...well has been answered for quite some time now. The orgional video of the tennis one has long since been removed from youtube but there is a badminton slow motion that was created and that partically satifies my craving. Its located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbAAf5Zk0CY and well i hope that there will be more maby something like this will get recorded at the olympics this year. One can only hope :rolleyes:

16. killest

killest Regular Member

posted in other thread but relevant i think!!.......

Talking of slow motion, has anyone got the LG Viewty? I ask this because it has a special video camera mode thats hsot at 120fps and alllows some really cool slow motion shots!! this one is of table tennis on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWCLiHLWvQ

17. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    There are quite a few slo-mo & super-slo-mo vids for tennis floating around on YouTube and some tennis instruction sites. Would be really cool to see more for badminton. Here's one that I saw about 6 monthe ago:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEf6bkTraI4

#17 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  18. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
  19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I don't understand this. High speed cam, fine. But we saw instant replay in matches all the time, did they have both high speed and normal speed cams recording at the same time to show us two different speed if needed to or slowing down the normal speed for a replay ?

20. smash_master

player/coach/student
    im not 100% sure on this but it would seem like it at times i know like the all england along with other touraments theres the normal regular play and then they have the "slow motion" plays where its usualy alot slower but still clear and not choppy or anything so it would make sense if they had 2 different cameras filming it (maby 2 in the same case so they can get the same shot as the normal ones :confused:)unless there is one camera that can serve both purposes but i dont know anythign with regards to that i dont see why it couldnt though.

But yes now you have gottne me a little curious about this as well.