User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quasimodo,

i spoke to W&D strings and the woman said that all i would need to string badminton rackets is a pair of badminton clamps, i'm not sure if you said that the machine was a 4-point mount (you said 4-point is quicker than 6) but this machine has a 6-point mounting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually referring to the controls, not the number of racquet support contacts. It is a 6-point, or 10-point depending on how you count them, machine; but, since it's got a suspension-style mounting system, you've only 4 controls to manipulate instead of 6.

If they say that you'll only need badminton clamps, then we can only hope that they've verified it themselves that that indeed is the case. You still may want to make sure that they'll work with you after the sale, in case you have problems.

FWIW, HTH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    are you sure that you want that machine? i have just ordered the pros pro comet 1, which is there top of the line free standing crank model. it is only 275 + VAT, i ordered it from http://www.watdon.com/wd_home.html , delivery to the UK is free but im sure you could organise some way of delivering to you. read this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...489#post366489 it has a picture of the comet 1 and some details, if you are interested in pros pro machien then http://www.watdon.com/wd_home.html has all of them including the challenger I which is at a very cheap price; 225 + VAT
    Ordered it and have been using it for 2 months now. I've been fairly satisfied with it, and the price was reasonably too (550 including vat, transportation, 1 reel of 200m BG80 & BG65, 1 flying clamp). Still struggling to get under 60 minutes though ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 4 point machine is also quicker to break the racket. When it comes to stringing machines, proper support is everything. Breaking a racket, or having the racket warping on you because of insufficient support could well ruin your entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    quasimodo,

i spoke to W&D strings and the woman said that all i would need to string badminton rackets is a pair of badminton clamps, i'm not sure if you said that the machine was a 4-point mount (you said 4-point is quicker than 6) but this machine has a 6-point mounting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can do a good job in 60 minutes, I will get down on my hands and knees and beg you to be my master . I have the same machine, and been stringing for myself and others for 6 months. I would consider myself superman on those rare occassions when I managed to string from start to finish in 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by J_M_V
    Ordered it and have been using it for 2 months now. I've been fairly satisfied with it, and the price was reasonably too (550 including vat, transportation, 1 reel of 200m BG80 & BG65, 1 flying clamp). Still struggling to get under 60 minutes though ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    If you can do a good job in 60 minutes, I will get down on my hands and knees and beg you to be my master . I have the same machine, and been stringing for myself and others for 6 months. I would consider myself superman on those rare occassions when I managed to string from start to finish in 90 minutes.
    You just need a couple of flying clamps. The ones that come with this machine are grab. And this machine is quite sturdy, which in my mind makes it easier to go high tensions with it (not that I would need to do that ) and it'll probably last you way longer than many others. Plenty of stringing time - especially with a new racquet - goes to getting the string through already occupied hole. That's something I'm still trying to get sorted out (yes yes have tried floss, hooks etc ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked the calibration of the machine? I bought a same model and the mass of the weight was nearly 70 grams too high (diameter is 68 mm and it should be 66 mm). I drilled six 6,5 mm through holes to the weight to fix the problem.

The tension depends on the angle of rotation of the gripper. If the gripper is in a horizontal position the tension is +0,7 kg and in a opposite horizontal position the tension is -0,7 kg. In a downward position the tension is ok.

I checked the tension with my digital fish scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The machine comes with 2 bolted on weights. You need to just use one. It's easier to re-mark the tension scale strip than to drill holes in things.

The idiot I bought the machine from knew nothing about the machine. So i nearly tensioned my MP99 to 50LBs.
    Last edited by CoolDoo6; 05-12-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The machine comes with 2 bolted on weights. You need to just use one. It's easier to re-mark the tension scale strip than to drill holes in things.

The idiot I bought the machine from knew nothing about the machine. So i nearly tensioned my MP99 to 50LBs.

In won't call the previous owner an idiot. It's down to the new owner to re-cal the machine, especially if it's 2nd handed. Maybe the previous owner was using that for racketball/tennis racket?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the idiot i bought the machine from was the owner of a shop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the idiot i bought the machine from was the owner of a shop.
    Please respect other individual. Imagine how you will feel, if you ever make a mistake, and ppl talking rudely about you in the public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the weight is too heavy you loose the lighter part of the scale. Challenger has a tension range 7...37 kg and I don't want to loose any of it's lighter part.

I think it's harder to clue the new scale to the rod than drill those six holes to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i stuck masking tape on top of the factory scale, and drew my own scale after calibrating the machine with a fishing scale. I can string from 13LB to maybe 30LB tesion. That's about all I need. By the time I can handle 30LB tension on my racket, I would probably be world number 1. By then the string machine makers will throw free machines my way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's wishful thinking or should we call it "pie in the sky".

. . . That's about all I need. By the time I can handle 30LB tension on my racket, I would probably be world number 1. By then the string machine makers will throw free machines my way.
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 05-12-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3