4U racket + 25lb tension = bad for nylon shuttles?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mettayogi, Jan 29, 2006.

1. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I got a new racket this year.
    Racket: Victor Super Nano 4U(< 84g)
    string: BG65 @ 25lb
    I play with both premium feather and plastic shuttles (Mavis 300, 350).
    The problem: I can't clear to baseline easily (backhand and forehand) or smash powerfully with nylon shuttles with this combo. However, when I try a Super Nano 3U strung with Ashaway MicroLegend at 27lb, clearing/smashing nylon shuttles don't seem to be a problem. A cheap Prince racket (2U or 3U) Ashaway Rally @ 22lb also plays better with nylon than my new racket. I don't have any problem with feather shuttles with any racket/tension.

Though I've seen BC discussion about lowering tension for plastic shuttles, it seems inconclusive.

I play 75% doubles, 25% singles, that's why I go with 4U. My previous racket is also 4U @ 25lb (Ashaway Micro Power Ti), and clearing with feather was fine, but with nylon also doesn't reach baseline. But it's worse with this new racket.

I'm not sure whether I should lower tension, or change string so that the new racket can play well with either kind of shuttle, or 4U is simply too light to play well with nylon. Advice?

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Regarding cannot clear to baseline using Victor Super Nano 4U: My suggestion is to experiment with different tension. My inclination is to try a lower tension first (oh say, less than 1 lb at a time using the same string) and see whether that improves your baseline clear using that racquet. Just remember that your control may feel different too. A period of adjustment on your new racquet is required and see which tension is suitable for you for that racquet.

Personally, I have played feather and nylon shuttles using the same string and tension without seeing any significant increase in breakage on either of them.

Cheers. :)

3. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

Some strings need burn-in period.
    Ex: BG85 BG80

As for clears, I don't like 4U rackets at all.
    IMO, you have to put more wrist work to clear compared with heavier rackets.

The 97g Wilson Npro st is good for me. :D

4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Clarification

What I mean by 'bad' is less powerful smash and less distance for clear, not referring to string breakage.

My theory is nylon is heavier, and lighter racket with high tension doesn't propel shuttle as hard (for the same player). But I don't have enough data point to conclude this is the reason why this combo is bad for me.

5. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    From my experience, if I play lots with feather shuttles and then play with nylon, I find that the nylon shuttles fly much faster and sharper than when I play with feather. This of course using the same racket.

My wild guess is that the racket that you have just gotten has a certain characteristic that you are not used to. I find that whenever I use a new racket, I also need to adjust my tension because to me, tension use is not static.

HTH.

Cheers. :)

6. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

i have the same problem. i tend to clear them out or my deep smashes sail way long.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Same here. I feel like shooting a cannon ball when i smash with nylon shuttles. While amazed how hard my smash could be, only found out opponents smashes are even harder... :crying:

8. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Update on my racket

After less than 2 weeks of service, my Super Nano's frame is broken after my random partner hit it hard.

I plan to get a 3U version this time, and not use it when playing double with random people.