Shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by ting03, Jan 29, 2006.

1. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    hey everyone, lately i've noticed a bit of pain in my feet from playing badminton for long periods like 2 hours or more...it's basically pain in my toes from lunging forward to recieve a drop or something....sometimes my foot goes forward and my feet hit the front of the shoe which causes the pain.

so i have this question to everyone: When do you know that you have to change shoes for badminton??? :crying:

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    were u wearing a pair of badminton shoes? if yes, just check the size. may be it's a bit too big.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you don't have to change shoes. but instead, you need to change your technique. when lunging towards the net, you should be landing on your heels. if you land flat on the bottom of your feet, you will get bruised toes.

if you are using badminton shoes, they are fine and you don't need to change them.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Landing flat also pass substantial amount of shock to the knee.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also, you should've told us what shoes are you are wearing and how long have you been wearing them. otherwise, it will be difficult to anybody to give you any suggestions.

6. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    ok i wear SHB - 50's and i got them 2 years ago when i was in grade 9, back then i didn't have the problem of my feet hurting, maybe it was because of back then i wasn't playing as hard.

now i am in grade 11 and i think my feet have gotten bigger, because my i changed my normal shoes (shoes i wear everyday to school etc.) from a size 7 and 1/2 to like 8 and 1/2. However the SHB-50's still ffit me....

i just find it hard to put on sometimes cause i have to push into it, and everytime i play badminton everyone else changes into their shoes so fast and i'm left there still trying to put them on :crying:

and maybe you guys are right and i have bad technique, but the guy that coaches me never said anything about it....maybe he never saw
    when i just started out badminton the guy who i bought it from said that badminton shoes should fit perfectly with no spaces between the shoe and your foot. Back in grade 9 they fit perfectly, but now it's sort of crowded

7. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    sounds like your toes are "scrunching" against the end of the shoe. I'd suggest moving to a bigger size shoe...

do you wear thick (cotton) socks or thin (like nike dri-fit) socks?
    The type of socks you wear also can affect the fit of your foot in a shoe.

For me, I generally wear 8 or 8.5 sized shoes, but for badminton i always wear size 8s with nike dri-fit socks. If i use thicker socks or double sock i cannot fit into my shoes.

As mentioned earlier, when lunging make sure your racket foot is always pointing forward in the direction your lunging and that you land heel first.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the shoes are a bit too small for you. Also, I believe there should be a lil bit space between ur toes and the front end of the shoe (say 1-1.5 finger width, depend on how big ur fingers are and which fingers :D ).

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks. now that you have given us more information, the problem is more clear. it sounds like your feet have out-grown your shoes. time to buy a larger pair.

10. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    lol now how should i tell my parents that i need a new pair without seeming greedy :p hmm ..:rolleyes:

11. msenghl

msenghl Regular Member

Project Manager
    Agree with Kwun, your feet has grown. To me, shoes is the most important among all the equipments for badminton. Invest in something that is of better quality, it will help to reduce injury to your knees, ankles, heels and untimately your back.