Playing County in the "UK" (Wales)

Discussion in 'UK' started by galeru, Jan 30, 2006.

1. galeru

galeru Regular Member

Uni
    Hey guys well basically what i want to know are 3 things

1. How do you get Picked to play for the County

2. What does it involve

3. Do you have to be able to play singles

Basically i want to know whether you have to be able to play singles as i am not the greates however in a double's i come into my own and i can parntner anybody as my defence is one of the best i have seen in the league at the level i am at and i am able to cover 70% of the court without a partner. This is not meant to sound big headed as i have learnt to do this from partnering many weak partners to see how i can adapt and change my game to help them.

Well i have all the shots and been told that i am a very good player but i can be a bit of a hot head "this i think is due to my passion and love for the sport and want for success" much like Taufik

well if someone can answer this i would be greatly appreciative by the way just as the title says im based in wales well "SWANSEA" to be exact

regards
    Galeru

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hmm.. not sure how old you are but.. in my experience...

usually counties have restricted events that are supposed to be chances for county selection teams to see players that are in the county. i would guess if you can do well in one of those you stand a fair chance.

apart from that, try to find out who runs the county team, he / she would be the best person to ask on how your county's team is picked.

hope this helps

Coops

3. galeru

galeru Regular Member

Uni
    to let you all know i am 19, there dont seem to be any tounements that run around here so how would i go about this with no tounements

regards
    Galeru

4. coops241180

Product Owner
  5. galeru

galeru Regular Member

Uni
    coops241180 i have looked through all those in the past

maybe next time u will see that the information that u sent is incorrect as the age limit on those are under 17's

so i have looked just a shame that u didnt check your sources but thanks for the advice

6. coops241180

Product Owner
    my apologies galeru - i assumed the welsh satellite was the same as the English one.. especially since i've had friends that have entered a similar competition before..

it was the Senior Section i meant to point out - the Swansea one has passed you by, but i believe you could still make the closing date for the Bangor, or is this too far to travel?

hope this helps (more than my original post anyway :rolleyes: )

Coops

7. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Badminton

Hi Galeru

I play in one of the lower divisions of Cardiff Badminton League however I do know a number of the players and clubs that play at a higher level.

LOCAL CLUBS

In terms of standard - your best bet is to join up with the Bridgend club ASAP. They play Div 1 Cardiff League and have recently gone down in the number of players. I am sure they would welcome you ....

Contact Helen Blake 01656 656949.

They have some good players - two in particular are Joe Morgan and James Phillips who have recently been selected in the Welsh Commonwealth Squad. I am sure they will give you a game !!

They also have a gentlemen who won (I think last years All England Vets tournament). Having played him in a couple of the Welsh Senior Series events - he gets absolutely everything back !!

LOCAL TOURNAMENTS

As coops241180 was suggesting - there is a Welsh Senior Series which has 10 tournaments around Wales. I used to run the South Glamorgan (Cardiff) event where we used to get up to 35 singles entries and 32 mens doubles.

As coops mentioned you just missed out on the Swansea event - there are a couple coming up up North Wales otherwise the one on the 4th March in Aberystywth is always well supported by the stronger players.

Also there is the Mid Glam open which is played around Aberdare. It is run by 'the famous' Vaughn Tovey who I am sure could show you a thing or two on the singles court.

Also there is the Carmarthen Open (Llanelli) on the 29th April which also is well supported along with the Gwent Open (Cwmbran near Newport) on the 21st May.

COUNTY

I think county competitions across Wales is now non-existent so you are better entering these tournaments and playing say at Bridgend.

RV Academy

If you really want to develop even further - contact Richard Vaughan to see if you can join his Academy. He has a number of up and coming players (a couple of which have been selected in the Uber cup for Wales).

This should help you.

Sean Smith
    Arches BC

8. alihaydor

alihaydor Regular Member

to get selected for county u must go to the restricted which happens around oct/sep every year which is a tournament and if u do well they will select you.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow man, this is quite a old thread you've just brought up!