The position of your feet as you are smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Akirika, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Akirika

Akirika Regular Member

hi all my first post here.
    i was wondering during a non-jump smash. do u guys shift your weight to your racket foot(same side as the hand thats holding the racket) and jump from there. as you are in mid air my racket foot will come before my non-racket foot as if i walked a step.

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

do you mean the scissors step?

3. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    but u said.. its a NON jump smash...

why would there be Jumping involved?

4. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Scissor step does not necessarily mean jump. In fact a jump *may* not incorporate a scissor step (it could).

If you transfer weight to your racquet foot, your racquet shoulder is kind of locked. So, no, weight is on non-racquet foot just before and immediately after the smash - scissor step.
    Your racquet foot may come forward along or right after the smash, but will *not* land first on the ground.

5. germanOne

germanOne Regular Member

dont do that

i think u shouldnt smash in a position its impossible to jump.

u will surely do less failures.

6. cgote16

cgote16 Regular Member

student/ breeder
    i was allways tought when doing any non-jump shot at the back of the court, ur feet are at 2 o'clock meening ur non-raquet foot is like this | and ur raquet foot is like this / sooo

|
    /

7. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    it is perfectly natural when u'r doing a stand still smash

Where you started with you body's center of mass on your racket foot at the back then smoothly transfer the center of mass forward to gain momentum
    where your weight will be shift onto your non racket foot (back->front)
    if you do it hard enough as your center of mass changes the momentum will bring your racket foot forward like you doing a little step to the front. don't worry about it, just that as u said its a NON-jump smash
    so i would rahter call it taking a little step following through the entire motion instead of considering it a JUMP..
    its the momentum on the swing that is carrying your body to move, you'r not intensionally jumping. you can see this effect more clearly if you look at Tennis serving. Tennis player do bend their knee for some extra kick and as their racket is much heavier.. they generate enough momentum to actually lift the body in air as both feet are almost off the ground. Still they don't consider it jump serve and be called on bad serve.
    The situation is similar, just don't over do it so that you throw your body off balance so much that it'll be too slow on recover to catch the next shot..

#7 chessymonkey, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

the scissors step that we are speaking of is real simple.
    the non racquet foot doesn't leave the floor at all.
    basically you step into the smash and thats it. that incorporates some weight from your body into the shot.
    the other version is a tiny tiny little hop. its like a one inch hop followed with the idea of stepping into the shot, when you do the scissors motion with your legs, switching from non racquet leg forward, to racquet leg forward.
    so the scissors step into the shot occurs while you're... 1 inch off the floor.
    you initiate the little hop with your racquet leg, while your non racquet leg swings backwards. the non racquet leg lands behind you, immediatley folllowed by your racquet leg infront of you
    try to time the impact of strings and shuttle to occur just as you're landing with your non racquet leg.

thats the best i can explain what i'm doing. i think, atleast.
    its kinda hard to tell since it occurs pretty quickly.

someone correct me if anything is chronologically out of place :)