Spinning The Racquet

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MikeD, Feb 1, 2006.

1. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    It's weird. For weeks I had been playing bad, really bad especially in doubles and mixed. I didn't know why. Something very odd was pointed out to me by an ex coach (who technically really doesn't know much, but hes an amazing coach). Everytime I make a shot, I spin my racquet. I didn't even realize I did it. I am suggesting for all players who struggle with consistancy to ask someone to watch a game, and see if the you infact spin your racquet. ALOT of junior players I see do this. I don't know where we picked up that nasty habit but it certainly is not welcomed.

I analyzed what I was told and compared it in my mind to having your racquet up at the net. The only reason we do this is to decrease swing time, allowing us to hit shots that we normally wouldn't have speed to do if the racquet was down. I realized that spinning is almost the same thing *however in a different sense*.

Please post any thoughts... Such a weird thing to do :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(P.S. Once I made a concious effort to stop spinning, I noticed a large gain in consistancy, especially in smash returns.)

2. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i have a friend who does that as well. after EVERY shot, he spins his racquet. nobody really noticed except for the coach. he got pretty upset that matter. my coach asked "why are you spinning your racquet. do you really think you will have enough time for the next shot if you keep doing that?" i think it is a really nasty habit, and it comes from keeping the racquet and arm loose.

3. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Also when you spin your racket it doesn't go back to its original position after you spin it, meaning you constantly have to adjust your grip. A very bad habit.

4. lex1437

lex1437 Regular Member

omg , i didnt realise i do it too, after reading this thread .. i feel i spin my racket after like each good shot i made.!
    ahahah ...
    geez!

5. govindbn

govindbn Regular Member

me too :eek:. OMG... I noticed that I was spinning my racquet after every shot. I never realised it though. I tried to stop it, but couldn't control it. I was doing it like involuntarily. I missed a couple of smash returns bcoz of that. I think, if I stop doing it, my reaction times wud be definitely faster. Could anyone suggest a method of stopping it? Would wearing racquetball gloves help or does it sound silly?

6. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i think the best way to stop is to notice it whenever you are doing it and stop yourself. it will take a long time since it is a bad habit

7. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I used to do this a lot also, since I was playing much inferior players (just school friends) at the time, it didn't really matter, but I did make more mistakes doing it, it meant my racquet wasn't in the exact correct position on some shots. On a fast return by the opponent I'd just have spun my racquet and reacted, and hit with the head at an angle, for example.

The best thing that helps me in badminton is my inner-monologue. I just keep telling myself things throughout the entire match in my mind, "don't spin the racuqet, don't spin the racquet, don't spin the racquet", it's very effective

If you're still tempted to do it, try doing it just on the serve before you/the opponent serves when you're ready.

Occasionally, I might still spin my racquet if the shuttle is moving slowly, to decieve some players, spinning and while spinning it bringing it close to the shuttle on maybe a net shot and sending it a different way, but it's definately not a particularly good technique IMO. I wouldn't use it in a serious match.

8. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    i do spin my racket sometimes after a shot but usually is after a rally but onli on an intensive match.and i got no idea y i do it or maybe i do it to relax my muscles. Until Miked posted this i thought i was the onli.

9. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i don't really think it's a bad thing unless you do it at the wrong times... like for me, i usually spin my racquet after i do a high clear and never when doing drives. i noticed myself doing it but i just thought it looked cool so i didn't bother breaking the habit :p

10. Shinto

Shinto Regular Member

I spin the racket after each rally I win. Its a tennis habit for me... but in tennis I spun the racket during the game too. But in badminton somehow that disappeared. In badminton I somtimes do a quick spin to change my grip to a backhand grip. I don't know how to change my grip to a backhand grip any other way -_-;

11. jbizzle

jbizzle Regular Member

lol same, if i make a good shot, i tend to spin my racquet...or wipe the sweat off my forehead :s

12. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    how do u spin the racket?? after each point??

13. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    you just use your fingers to roll it around and throw it up slightly at the same time. it's the same as spinning anything.

it is especially a bad habit when a player spins it between returning smashes, someone at my training session had to demonstrate returning smashes and he didn't even realise he spun his racket in between shots. it ammused us and put his grip out of place each time:p

14. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    thanks...so thats spinning racket...i do it after a rally...and after i hit a return smash...i dont know why i do that.. :(

15. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    most people don't even know they do it. as we have all said; it's a bad habit so you should definetely try to stop yourself from doing it (especially on return to smash).

16. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    Only at practice while I'm warming up. ~ shooting the shuttle up into the air while I'm spinning my racquet as it is in the air. Catch the racquet and shoot it again. It is a very nice drill but this is the only time which is suited to spin the racquet.

17. TARZAN

TARZAN New Member

It's a tennis thing; cause you got more time in tennis to wait for the ball to come, and spinning it keeps the grip from getting all sweaty, and keeps your hand cooler as well. People tend to spin it so that they change grips easier and it just looks downright cool. Learn how to do it fast and correctly may make it a GOOD habit, eh?

18. song.exe

song.exe Regular Member

After reading this thread, I've noticed that I somtimes (1/20 rallies, I'd say) spin it, however, it is not a good habit to get into, and subsequently I've stopped myself from doing it. I'd say it's helped me be faster on the shuttle, since I'm more ready than I was previously.

19. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    Spinning the racquet is almost NEVER a good thing.

20. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    I spin racquet between rallies. Helps me conciously loosen my grip. Otherwise, I used to tend to hold the racquet too firm.