User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shame on IBF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    What if France votes for the new system? Would you give up badminton?
    I'm pretty sure France will vote against it as everyone is against it here!

And yes you're right, there is a big chance that I give up badminton at least as a competitive player, and probably as a spectator/reporter, if the new scoring is adopted.
    Though this will be a tough decision! (which I hope I won't need to take)

By the way, I'm still waiting for concrete arguments! (starting by the beginning : "why does the scoring system need changing?")

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven

And yes you're right, there is a big chance that I give up badminton at least as a competitive player, and probably as a spectator/reporter, if the new scoring is adopted.

By the way, I'm still waiting for concrete arguments! (starting by the beginning : "why does the scoring system need changing?")
    Are you sure? Do you know who is France's delegate who is going to cast France's votes? What if he casts a yes vote?
    The proposed change to the new scoring system appears to touch a raw nerve in you. Perhaps your game is based entirely on the stamina-sapping old system and you sense that it's replacement will put an end to your style of play. If so, then you are not a master of your environment but a helpless victim.
    If the vote doesn't go your way, giving up the sport just because of a scoring system change, is giving up easily. Where is your spirit and determination to take on the world? Have you ever wondered that you might actually do better under the new system?
    You can argue and debate to kingdom come, but in the end just don't find yourself being left behind. There is nothing worse than being left behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact new system benefits a lot of part time players, one does not have to train like an ox to outlast opponents like in a marathon.More emphasis on skills in a short sprint like previous 7 point system.

also time cut down means more TV exposure and reaching a bigger audience and wider pool of players not just the professionals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing worse than being left behind.
    other than trollers...

this thread is getting a bit long in the tooth.

if the scoring system changes, so be it. if it doesn't, then play on. if anyone feels strongly enough to give up the sport because of these changes, then go take up knitting.

after all, badminton just a sport - not a religion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn
    In fact new system benefits a lot of part time players, one does not have to train like an ox to outlast opponents like in a marathon.More emphasis on skills in a short sprint like previous 7 point system.

also time cut down means more TV exposure and reaching a bigger audience and wider pool of players not just the professionals.

Do you know why the marathon is so popular? Easy, it is very tough and hence very challenging to most people. Make it easy, and there will be little interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure? Do you know who is France's delegate who is going to cast France's votes?
    Yes, I do know the people at the head of the federation.
    Actually, french federation has already refused to impose the current trial in national competitions as all players are against it.
    So all our tournaments still use 3x15 until IBF takes a definate decision.

What if he casts a yes vote?
    He will be kicked out!!!

The proposed change to the new scoring system appears to touch a raw nerve in you. Perhaps your game is based entirely on the stamina-sapping old system and you sense that it's replacement will put an end to your style of play. If so, then you are not a master of your environment but a helpless victim.
    If the vote doesn't go your way, giving up the sport just because of a scoring system change, is giving up easily. Where is your spirit and determination to take on the world? Have you ever wondered that you might actually do better under the new system?
    I don't really mind whether I would do better or not.
    It takes the spirit out of the sport for two things I love in it : come-backs and mental tension, hard-fought endless games.
    Both as a spectator and a player, it makes it uninteresting.

But OK I admit I have only been playing the game for 17 years so not a big deal...

You can argue and debate to kingdom come, but in the end just don't find yourself being left behind. There is nothing worse than being left behind.
    It might be my poor english but I didn't understand a word here Could you rephrase?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea thanks Seven for pointing out that, while we might disagree with 21x3 and for personal reasons.... its not a just some cheap bias towards what the change will do to our game; its bigger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    if anyone feels strongly enough to give up the sport because of these changes, then go take up knitting.
    Your joking right?

The problem isn't making pro players play rallypoint ... the problem is an organization trying to tell us how to play the game when we already know how it should be played.

I doubt anyone is going to stop playing, but certainly many people like me are going to refuse to play at our local clubs under this system.... I know that the majorty of players aren't going to use rallypoint. Most having even yet heard about it, so obviously we don't need the IBF to tell us how to play.

and about Pro badminton for a second - You can argue the merits of 21x3 over and over and over again. The fact is there are many Pro and no-Pro players against 21x3 for alot of reasons. but NOBODY IS AGAINST 15x3 except mabye a few in the IBF, put that on the scale ........

what you get is a decision to go with a scoring system that unifies badminton virtually everywhere in the world and at every playing ability, against one that is already causing division everywhere and at every level of play......
    Last edited by wedgewenis; 02-13-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a better way to make match duration more predictable feel free to share it. TV programming is everything nowadays, tv makes and brakes, it doesn't work the other way around. Commercial brakes, etc. need to be somewhat predictable to attract major brands. Target audience n stuff u know If advertisers have bought commercial space for the next program specified to a specific audience and it turns out it will be hours later it won't be as attractive to do so next time.

France might be the exception in europe with growing numbers of registered players btw. Would be interesting to find out, here it's a definite decrease over the last couple of years.

This discusion is carbon copy of volleyball years ago and now you don't hear anything about that anymore, even about the tighter outfits for women.
    Last edited by demolidor; 02-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really couldn't give a rat's a** about the scoring system.

IMO the scoring system makes absolutely no difference in your strokes, technique or skills. It will change how you concentrate on each rally, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Read the thread, there are some players that would contemplate giving up badminton (competitive) if the new system were to be fully implemented. All I am adding is that if these players do feel so strongly about it to really quit, then do it!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the scoring system makes absolutely no difference in your strokes, technique or skills. It will change how you concentrate on each rally, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Totally agree! Was thinking the same thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I didn't know exactly what the new scoring system look like, and also didn't know how to play it. Untill I watched the Netherlands national championship ± 1 week ago on Netherland TV.

I watched the MS and WD matches. For the MS, I have no problem to understand it, but for double, I needed time to catch the system.

In my opinion, the weaker players can take advantage from the better players, because the better also make mistake, from this mistake, the weaker get points. With the other word, you get punish from your mistake.
    The match tension will be higher. Because the score continue running.

I don't know whether this system can make badminton more interesting/populer or not. But I thing I don't agree is the reasons of Mr. Gunalan.
    Mr. Gunalan said that to make badminton more interesting, IBF need to change the scoring system, to make the match shorter, bla.. bla... bla....
    I wonder why tennis get so many attention, even a match can last 4 hour ?

I am sure badminton will be more interesting/populer if IBF can do its job as proffesional as ATP/WTA.
    Last edited by jkusmanto; 02-13-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to note that some of our older members are for the new system, whilst younger ones are against..

I really couldn't give a rat's a** about the scoring system.

Read the thread, there are some players that would contemplate giving up badminton (competitive) if the new system were to be fully implemented. All I am adding is that if these players do feel so strongly about it to really quit, then do it!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jkusmanto
    I wonder why tennis get so many attention, even a match can last 4 hour ?

I am sure badminton will be more interesting/populer if IBF can do its job as proffesional as ATP/WTA.
    I wonder if tennis would be as popular if you take away games in scoring and just have sets till 30 point or something, but anyhow good article on women's tennis here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...men_in_tennis/

Even better article: http://cgi.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0109/09/sm.03.html
    Last edited by demolidor; 02-13-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizbit
    Interesting to note that some of our older members are for the new system, whilst younger ones are against..
    I've never actually been either for it or against. I was originally opposed to it for the reasons used for it's implementation, not the scoring method itself. But after thinking it over, really as far as I'm concerned, it matters quite little since each rally I will still try to play to win. I think most of us are in the same boat, in that we will try to play each rally to win the rally.
    It does mean to me that with rally scoring is that I'd likely get more pi**ed with myself for making unforced errors, since these will wind up costing me points. It will also make you less likely to play foolish strokes, and get you to get on with the task of finishing off the game.

**** hey! who you calling OLD? ****

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in all it doesn't really matter. No way there is gonna be live coverage of any event here on a consistent basis. Best bet is Eurosport for the whole of europe, so what would make eurosport broadcast more badminton? Don't think it's the amount of players in a country, judo is probably even bigger in france and I only see the world championships on eurosport. IBF needs to "create" more heroes/ the game needs more heroes/individuals/characters. Hardly ever see players interact with/ react to the crowd. Probably a rule against that as well. Too strict maybe? Want to drink: need permission, use towel: need permission like little children. The sport needs to grow up and all the internal problems certainly won't help that.
    Guess attitude change is even more needed than scoring change (on all levels including local, you won't believe how childish even the chairmen of top league clubs can be). Scoring change is definitely a short term answer but one that can be changed alot quicker than attitude so at least it's a start to think outside of the box...

[Shouldn't this thread be merged with the other one, somehow?]
    Last edited by demolidor; 02-13-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

five and a half years ago:

The Olympics is an event where such capabilities are proven as highly skilled athletes compete on the world’s stage. A sports popularity usually benefits from this exposure, especially if a star emerges into the nations spotlight, gaining recognition and fame for the sport as well as the individual. Although there are no prominent figures for badminton at this moment, the past has shown that athletes will present themselves when an “explosion“ of the sport occurs. Recall that less than two decades ago skateboarding and snowboarding were virtually unheard of in this country. Now these sports are more popular than ever, with athletes such as Tony Hawk having a fan base that far exceeds that of the sports beginnings. This can be compared to other countries such as Indonesia and China, where badminton players have remarkable roles in the sporting world. When badminton gains more popularity, its’ stars will as well.

http://www.worldbadminton.com/commentary/badrap.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default -

appears target for widening TV coverage is not EU

but rather new growth areas eg. Philipines, vietnam.

maybe Eskimos and Mongolians etc.Getting them on board so to speak.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast