racquet damage!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by michaely, Feb 7, 2006.

1. michaely

michaely Regular Member

Hey everyone

Quite a long while ago I posted saying that I had gotten a Pro-Kennex Keron Pro OR racquet.

I bought it second-hand off eBay, and although there was some wear to it, it has been great to me. I instantly fell in love with it and it's become my main racquet. One thing that I instantly noticed when I got this racquet however was there is some damage to the frame, and although it has not caused any problems so far the strings are getting a bit frayed and I might have to get it restrung, but because of the damage I'm not sure if it's a good idea to restring it or if the stringers will even accept the job.

I have posted a picture to show the damage, what I would like to know is if it would be possible to get it restrung without causing further damage.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT:
    Although the picture is pretty self-explainatory to me, I guess I should give a little more detail... the outside of the frame between the grommets has kind of 'collapsed', so the strings are inside the frame between those few grommets. It is not on anywhere else on the racquet, and the collapse on the left hand side in the picture is the top centre of the racquet.

Attached Files:

#1 michaely, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Any rackets could be broken, even with a very experienced stringer, and with "look like perfect" condition. Such factors might include manufacture defect, interal damage etc. However, an experienced stringer should be able to identify how serious the "damage" is, and make a decision based on the tension you asked for. Of course, this will NOT guarantee 100%, but should be able to cut down the risk greatly. ;)

From your pic, i can only spot some paint chips. However, some of the gromments seem need to be replaced. :rolleyes:

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The damage looks superficial, although (as LB said) some of the grommets at the top are badly sunken and need replacing. You get that kind of damage (paint chips) from picking the shuttle off the floor with your racket.

Damage to the paintwork is irrelevant. Unless you can see a crack or distortion in the frame, you have nothing to worry about.

Also, you have little to lose by restringing a (possibly) damaged racket. If it's damaged, it will probably break anyway. Besides, what's the point of a good racket without good strings?

4. lex1437

lex1437 Regular Member

WHUT THE ! ... ur racket is wrecked.
    well , i think any stringer will take the job , they'll just warn u upfront that they will not take any responsibility if the racket breaks.

but i think it's really time to get a new one tho' . :)
    if u insist of getting it repaired , try buying a can of black spray and get it all covered. will definetely give the racket a facelift.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmm, I see what you mean about the top of the frame collapsing.

Just use the racket, and get it restrung as soon as you want to. If it breaks, get a new one.

6. michaely

michaely Regular Member

well... I would get a new racquet, but the thing is I have no idea if it'll suit me (or if I'll like it)... I have two other racquets, a CY Ti-9 and a Yonex isometric 65 light, and neither of them give me the 'feel' that this one does... both of them are iso head, and personally I think that the Pro-Kennex (which is oval head) gives more of a 'punch' when I hit the shuttle... I'm trying to find an ok oval head racquet to replace this in case it does die, but here in NZ the only oval heads are cheap ones and Prince (which I've tried, and didn't like). There are absolutely no carbonex racquets in any sports or specialty badminton stores in my city (at least, not in the ones I know of) and the iso heads just don't have much appeal for me... :(

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you like Pro-Kennex, try to see if you can get in contact with a Pro-Kennex local/region rep. I have the Concave700 (oval), which is a pretty one to go with. ;)

8. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    aske adelina to bring it on next trip to paris I could refixeit for you!

as it is ,possible to string but does'nt go for a long time ,the frame got 2 or 3

collapse ,
    MING